General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

3vze EFi fuse goes every 5 minutes and car wont start now.. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3vze EFi fuse goes every 5 minutes and car wont start now.. HELP

Hi guys. I have a major problem with my 1990 4runner with the 3.0 v6 engine. It startet to bog and lose power when I was pulling a heavy trailer today . And soon after it blew the EFi fuse under the hood and the engine died. I put new 30amp fuse in and drove 5 miles then it blow agin.. and again and again , i let the trailer go and drove it under no pressure and it started again to bog and loose power.. ( like it was running out of gas.. ) and then no power = fuse gone. , I repeated this 10 times ( 10 new fuses ) to bring the car home.

But now last time it started boging and looseing power and then dying the fuse did not blow... It is still intact but the truck will not start , first when i turn the key it did cough alittle but now it has no life at all

Never at anytime did the Check engine light go on.. The light works
Has anyone had this problem before ??

Last edited by hjalti_gto; 02-19-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:01 PM

nobody ?? really ??
Old 02-21-2011, 02:03 AM

Well I'll be frank with you, since nobody else will, when a fuse blows repeatedly you should figure out why it keeps blowing instead of just continuing to replace the fuse.

I see a wiring diagram and and an electrical tester in your future. Trace it down and replace the part or wire that is causing the problem, problem solved.

I'm guessing the check engine light did not come on, because your computer is fried, but you will have to confirm this with your electrical tester.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by hunter 4321
Well I'll be frank with you, since nobody else will, when a fuse blows repeatedly you should figure out why it keeps blowing instead of just continuing to replace the fuse.

I see a wiring diagram and and an electrical tester in your future. Trace it down and replace the part or wire that is causing the problem, problem solved.

I'm guessing the check engine light did not come on, because your computer is fried, but you will have to confirm this with your electrical tester.
Dude.. read the first post...

I was far away outside the city on a road that sees maybe 2 cars per hour and i do not have a electrial tester in my truck everytime i drive it.....

I needed to bring the truck home . I dont want to do auto repairs in the road 's side in the dark ... that is just an accident waiting to happen..

Check engine light comes on when I switch on the key so that it is hardly the problem?
Old 02-21-2011, 03:25 AM

Dude, I'm not trying to be a D, just trying to help you out with your problem. Don't take offense, I was not trying to offend you, just trying to help you out with your major engine problem that no one had replied to.

Maybe this will help you understand,
If the breaker keeps going off in my house, I figure out why it is popping, because as a fire fighter I've seen more than one house burn to the ground because people just kept flipping the breaker back on until what ever it was that was popping the breaker caught on fire. Because they just kept flipping the breaker, heat built up untill whatever is was that was popping the breaker caught on fire.
If you do the same with the fuses in your car, repeatedly replacing your fuse that is melting, you will burn or melt whatever it was that was causing your fuse to melt. Your fuse was doing exactly what it is supposed to do, melt when something shorts our grounds out, so you don't melt wires and start fires.
Does this not sound like what you have done? Your truck will no longer start correct? You said that the last time it started bogging the fuse did not blow and it will not start back up again, which makes me think that whatever the problem was is now completely toast and is not able to melt the fuse, because electricity is not able to flow to this problem spot. The only way I see to fix this, is to go through your electrical system and trace it down. I'm not trying to criticize what you did, or had to do, just trying to help you get your yota back on the road.

Last edited by hunter 4321; 02-21-2011 at 03:28 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Common cause is an O2 sensor wire that falls against the hot exhaust and melts the insulation causing a short.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
Common cause is an O2 sensor wire that falls against the hot exhaust and melts the insulation causing a short.
okey i will check it out tomorow. I am also leaning towards a faulty fuel pump and wires ?

Last edited by hjalti_gto; 02-21-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:46 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by hjalti_gto
okey i will check it out tomorow. I am also leaning towards a faulty fuel pump and wires ?
Neither would blow your efi fuse.
You have a short somewhere in your engine compartment (most likely where 4crawler said), that's causing your efi fuse to blow.
Fuses are designed to blow when the amount of current passing through them exceeds a certain amperage. Yours is exceeding 30 amps, therefore, you're popping the EFI fuse. Continue putting in more fuses, and you'll pretty much melt wires and have more problems.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by peow130
Neither would blow your efi fuse.
You have a short somewhere in your engine compartment (most likely where 4crawler said), that's causing your efi fuse to blow.
Fuses are designed to blow when the amount of current passing through them exceeds a certain amperage. Yours is exceeding 30 amps, therefore, you're popping the EFI fuse. Continue putting in more fuses, and you'll pretty much melt wires and have more problems.
no more fuses are being put in. The truck sits at home where i needet it to go. i did not want to sit in the truck on the roadside without a phone connection overnight when it was possible to limp the truck back home,

Although it might cause more trouble it was a better solution
Old 02-21-2011, 03:27 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
While it was good you got home, it was bad you continued to pop fuses.
Your best bet would have been to have a buddy bring a chain and tow her home.

Anyways, check the o2 sensor wiring, as well as any wiring that comes close to being in contact with the exhaust.
check for cut wires, chafed wires, and grounded out wires.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by peow130
While it was good you got home, it was bad you continued to pop fuses.
Your best bet would have been to have a buddy bring a chain and tow her home.

Anyways, check the o2 sensor wiring, as well as any wiring that comes close to being in contact with the exhaust.
check for cut wires, chafed wires, and grounded out wires.
long way out of town - no phone conection and nobody on the Radio...

but yeah thanks for the help guys , ill start working on it tomorow , good thing is i have a parted out 91 Hilux with a 3.0 v6 so i have all the parts i need
Old 02-22-2011, 02:26 PM

I get spark.. that is not the problem ,

When i

switch the key position to on or start i dont hear the fuel pump..

can the pump it self just die like this , blowing fuses or is it some wires ?

I dont think the ECU is fried becorse the check engine light goes on when i put the key to on position..
Old 02-22-2011, 05:12 PM

It's not that simple, from what I traced out in the wiring diagram that I have, your airflow meter is what switches your fuel pump on and off, so if you get in a wreck, and your fuel line blows out but your ignition switch is still on, fuel is not just gushing all over the place.
There is a whole page laying out the fuel injection system in my repair manuel there are a LOT of things that could have been blowing your EFI fuse out, causing your injectors to not spit out fuel.

You are going to have to get a diagram and test all the parts in your system to find out what was causing the problem. There are many sensors, switches and there parts in your ECU that could be the problem. Your Check engine light is coming on because there is power getting to your ECU, this does not mean that you don't have a problem part in your EFI system that is broken, fried, burnt up whatever, something was blowing your fuse, I am certain that what ever it was that was causing your EFI fuse to blow is toast or the wire going to it is toast.
I suggest that you find a diagram for your system, see how the system works, then go through and figure out which part of the system is giving you trouble. It may be as simple as a bad fuel pump, but I don't think it is logical to just say it's this part or that part, that's not how a mechanic would tackle this problem on a complex fuel injection system, a mechanic would go through the system from one end to the other untill the part of the sytem that was causing the system to not work properly was found.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:30 AM

Okey i did the "cheap trick" fuel pump jumper in the Timing and Diagnostic Check Connector location in the hood.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...CheckConnector

And the fuel pump didnt start.

That tells me the problem is in those things

*First off fuel pump
*The wiring to the fuel pump
*The circuit opening (CO) relay is NOT functioning to some degree
Old 02-23-2011, 04:00 AM

I found out what was wrong.
The wires for the fuel pump had been rubbing side the exhaust and melted.

the truck runs just fine now.

Thanks for your Help guys

hunter 4321

I think you should reconsider your approach whan you are "helping"

Not be overstating faults that are otherwise fairly simple ..

No one needs that..

Last edited by hjalti_gto; 02-23-2011 at 04:15 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:06 AM

Sorry, it just didn't seem like you understood what I was trying to communicate to you, which was to do testes and find the problem, that is what you did and yes it was simple as most of the electrical problems that I have fixed have been, you were lucky that you didn't have to did to deep.
I'll just keep my hands off my keyboard and let everyone just figure there problems out on their own.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:19 AM

My 95 T100 had the O2 sensor actually pop out of the plate its attached to where its welded onto the exhaust pipe. No one has ever seen this ever happen. Whne driving it on highway the engine completely stopped absolutely nothing and wont start up. The EFI fuse keeps blowing. What should I do. I dont thins the sensor will be able to be removed from housing. Can I clip the wires? Will clipping them keep this from blowing the EFI fuse so I can get this truck running again? Im stranded please help with suggestions. Thanks
Old 09-24-2012, 09:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Should be able to pick up a new O2 sensor, the OE type will have the new plate to attach to the exhaust pipe:
- http://densoproducts.com/

Try unplugging the connector at the sensor and see if that keeps the fuse from blowing.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:00 AM

What sucks is that they all all melted together AGH!
Old 09-24-2012, 10:10 AM

What would you do if the connections were melted together?

Quick Reply: 3vze EFi fuse goes every 5 minutes and car wont start now.. HELP