Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Why does my FL axle break so quickly?('90 pickup)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why does my FL axle break so quickly?('90 pickup)

This is my first post, so hopefully it is in the right place. I have to start by saying THANK YOU to the members here. I have not had to post questions because a search here has always given me the info I need. With yotatech info,I have changed my clutch bracket(stupid design), tie rod end, front left axle, and more. THANK YOU!!!!

So I bought my 1990 V-6(3.slow and 4" bracket/suspension lift) pickup with a torn cv boot, which made it a couple thousand before going out; while getting small air(1') in the snow with 4x4 engaged. Ripped the shaft right out of the inner mount. I replaced it with a new NAPA axle(lifetime warranty), thanks to the writeups and links here on how to do it! Drove on the new axle for a few hundred miles, though coincidentaly only used 4x4 less than a mile total. I have ADD, and the hubs are always "locked", so the axles were at least spinning fine.

Yesterday I took my 4 year old nephew to see what muddin was like, got into some sloppy mud and needed 4x4. In reverse, after about 20 seconds of spinning up mud from all tires, the cv axle did the same thing as before. The shaft pulled out of the inner mount. I took off the same axle that lasted 1 month, and NAPA gave me another new one. I installed it and went up the street(in 4x4) to a muddy spot. I seemed to drive normal in both 2x4 and 4x4 for the 1/2 mile. I turned the wheel both ways in 4x4 while driving, but never got on the gas hard. Went through the small mud puddle in 4x4 moving forward and backward just fine. As soon as I decided to get on it, SNAP and I knew the sound by now. Same thing, shaft came all the way out of the inner mount(6 bolts hold it to diff).

Does anyone have a guess, or something I should check? My eye does not see anything obviously bent or out of place. 3 axles in a few EASY miles of mostly street??

If anyone read this far, thanks for any input!!!
Old 04-04-2010, 11:19 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CV pulls out of the boot is: Diff not dropped enough, or bump stops not high/low enough... Or even installed.

Pics, man... pics...

Photobucket account > Cell phone > send pic to photobucket > copy [IMG code > paste here...

Or, upload pic the computer > go advanced > attach images...

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 04-04-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:25 AM

you are over extending the front suspension. you have a couple options, you can get a front diff drop from 4crawler or as tried4x2signN said, add some bump stops or limiting straps.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:28 AM

Thanks for the QUICK reply. I will go take some pictures, and try to post them.

The truck has brackets for lifting the front that keep the differential more even with the wheels. This is my first Toyota, let alone lifted Toyota. I don't know about bump stops. Where are they? Thanks for giving me ideas of things to check!

This site is awesome.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:36 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
duh... I just about bet you have no upper bump stops... And you're pulling it out on the compression or stuff... Not the droop...

Those things are crazy... IIRC, they lower the lower control arm bump stop 4".

Look for 4" spacers with a rubber pad on the end of them... If the rubber piece is close to the frame, they aren't even installed...

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 04-04-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:00 PM

What do you mean "pulling it out on the compression or stuff"

Here are a few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Why does my FL axle break so quickly?('90 pickup)-100_0262.jpg   Why does my FL axle break so quickly?('90 pickup)-100_0264.jpg   Why does my FL axle break so quickly?('90 pickup)-100_0265.jpg  
Old 04-04-2010, 12:05 PM

Is this first picture the bump stop?

And another picture of the diff line up. The diff seems a bit higher, but it wheeled fine for a couple thousand miles with the torn boot. Then after the whole jump thing in the snow, it won't even "wheel" for a couple miles. . .
Attached Thumbnails Why does my FL axle break so quickly?('90 pickup)-100_0268.jpg   Why does my FL axle break so quickly?('90 pickup)-100_0263.jpg  
Old 04-04-2010, 12:32 PM

HA called it! Wait one for pics.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:38 PM

Old 04-04-2010, 12:54 PM

I'm starting to think I may fix this issue with you guys! I am still confused why the first axle seemed fine(other than torn boot) for miles of care-free wheeling, but the new NAPA axle(s) won't wheel much at all. It makes me think I bent something(etc.) when the truck jumped that day. Before that jump broke the first axle, I could get on the gas in 4x4 with the wheel turned max both ways.

So tried4x2signN, where does that part show go? Does it mount vertically or horizontally? Where?

In the picture, is one(dirty) correctly mounted right next to the red part you are holding?

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!
Old 04-04-2010, 12:59 PM

LOOK AT YOUR PICS, THEN LOOK AT MINE. I am holding the rubber snubber...

uhhh... the pic should be pretty self explanatory... The piece in my hand is what you need... The bent piece in the pic is it... Find bump stop, insert spacer between bump stop and frame, fixed...

A 4" x ? piece of square tube stock will work...

Drill the ends out and bolt. All that IFS lift stuff is ONLY spacers anyway...

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 04-04-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Motorider
What do you mean "pulling it out on the compression or stuff"

Here are a few pictures.

Wheel travel:

Up is compression or "stuff", like you're stuffing the wheel in the wheel well...

Down is droop...

You are not pulling the shaft out when you think you are... You're pulling it out on the landing. Not the jump.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey man, I have the same lift you have, with the exact same problem. Inner axle pulling out. Here is what caused my axle to do this.

There are drop brackets for the diff that lowers it down; these brackets also hold the diff in place when you are in 4wd. Without these brackets teh torque from the engine will cause the diff to pick up, twisting your axles. In my case I had broken a bracket and that resulted in the broken axle. Make sure you have your brackets. You should have 3 pieces that holds down the diff. I have that exact lift too. This is also what happened. The diff put so much force on my bracket that not only it broke the bracket, it also bent the frame bracket that holds the bracket. LOL Fix yours, before its too late. Good luck

Old 04-04-2010, 01:07 PM

And in the 3rd pic of post #6... I see no drop spacer for the torque arm...
Old 04-04-2010, 01:09 PM

nope, sorry! post 14 is wrong!
Old 04-04-2010, 01:11 PM

Jaino240, he's got a piece of plate there... Not the drop spacers like I'm used to seeing...

It's there...
Old 04-04-2010, 01:18 PM

Ok, I was thinking that bump stops were to stop the stearing from going to far. NOOB!! My terminology about this stuff is not so good.

Are the bump stops there to stop the "A-arms" from moving up to far upon compression?(is there one for rebound too) The part just below the stearing stuff, and to the right of the shock in my picture? It's hard for me to reference where your picture is on the pickup.

I get NOOB questions about motorcycles a lot, so I know how it can be and really appreciate your help!
Old 04-04-2010, 01:26 PM

I am talking about my second picture of two on post #7.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:53 PM

In this first picture, are these the bump stops?(not related to stearing) There is one on the right side of the shock, one on the left of it, and a "rebound" stop on the left of the shock up higher than the compression bump stop.

The other pictures show the drop brackets. Do they look right? They seem a bit bent maybe. . .

If these are the issue, why does the old axle work and not the NAPA ones?
Attached Thumbnails Why does my FL axle break so quickly?('90 pickup)-100_0269.jpg   Why does my FL axle break so quickly?('90 pickup)-100_0270.jpg   Why does my FL axle break so quickly?('90 pickup)-100_0271.jpg  
Old 04-04-2010, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Motorider

Are the bump stops there to stop the "A-arms" from moving up to far upon compression?(is there one for rebound too) The part just below the stearing stuff, and to the right of the shock in my picture? It's hard for me to reference where your picture is on the pickup.

I get NOOB questions about motorcycles a lot, so I know how it can be and really appreciate your help!
The UCA does not change locations, so it's bump stop remains in its factory location...

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 04-04-2010 at 05:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Why does my FL axle break so quickly?('90 pickup)