Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

when put in drive it acts like it wants to go but has no power

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when put in drive it acts like it wants to go but has no power

I have a 1995 Toyota 4 Runner. I have just replaced the hydrolic tensioner and timing belt, the gas filter, plugs an wires and battery. My 4 runner will start and run. Sounds great...but when put in drive it acts like it wants to go but has no power...Kinda like e brake is on but it isn't.
I know that the engine light is on not sure why, and sounds like I have a vacuum leak I cannot find

What is wrong? I am a mother of 4 and I have to get it running properly. Thanks for any help!

Last edited by lucys4runner; 09-25-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:46 PM

Sorry to hear this, Lucy! Now, how about some more info....is this an automatic or a standard?

When's the last time you had the Ebrake on? Are you SURE it is disengaged? Does the runner TRY to move forward, like 'bucking' or a REALLY sluggish push forward, or is it just going "vroom vroom vroom" like it's in neutral??

Did YOU do the work you mentioned, or a garage? Was the vehicle driven at all after this work? When's the last time you drove it, and was it totally ok then?

Offhand, with nothing to go on, I'd suspect the ebrake is stuck on - the bellcranks, that is. But I don't see why/how. Or there is something up with the tranny linkage if this is an automatic (not engaging, staying in neutral...). We can go into other things as you tell us more info! I want to stay away from clutch stuff until you tell us more (possibly needs to be bled? If anything was disassembled and if this is a standard).....

I can see NO connection between the work you described and those symptoms Other than some stuff may have been taken apart and not put back properly (as mentioned above re. clutch and air in lines...but wow, nothing is ringing a bell).

More ppl will be trying to help pretty soon, I bet, so keep watching!
Old 09-25-2011, 03:09 PM

info wanted

My 4 runner is a automatic 4x4.
I just got it and really the guy had the whole front apart, told us that the timing belt broke and he just didn't have time to finish it. I only know what we were told that he drove it until the belt broke.
When I put it in reverse it goes just fine. When I put it into drive I feel it and here it go in but just does nothing, drop it down in 1st gear and it is very slow sluggish and wil barely go.
I had a good friend put it back together, he used to be a mechanic but he don't work on toyotas.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:10 PM

just seems like when in drive it has no power to pull
Old 09-25-2011, 03:49 PM

i would check the timing first
Old 09-25-2011, 03:51 PM

then get it scanned to see why check engine light is on
Old 09-25-2011, 04:03 PM

Ouch, Lucy....what he said.

Sadly, in an automatic, it could be way too many things to just throw you a bone and say "get someone on this"....those damn autos have all these fluid things that act like a clutch, little balls that float up and down inside...sounds like a pretty clear tranny problem, from where I'm sitting. It COULD be as simple as something in the linkage - so you need a good mechanic who'll come out and look, and who'll steer you straight!! Might be as simple as a blown line/forgot to put it back on...

Don't give up on it - even if it needs a transmission! Maybe go standard if you do....

Not to be numb, but you HAVE checked that there's transmission fluid, right??

Last edited by GuitarMike; 09-26-2011 at 04:30 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:49 AM

ok I checked the timing and that wasn't it....white smoke started coming from the exhaust so I knew what it was. We ripped it down and changed the head gaskets and minor gaskets...put it back together but guess what now it will crank but wont start???
I know the heads looked good and we have brand new gaskets I am gonna check to make sure he has all the vaccuum hoses correctly on and fuel lines on correctly then check the water lines. I really am excited... I love this 4 runner and I cannot drive it until it is fixed!

I need people to spread the word I found a wonderful 1995 4 runner website that will blow away any chilton or haynes book!!!!

If you like this site Please post so....

http://www.the-roo.com/4runner/

This site is so informative... Very detailed pictures about the whole vehicle!!!

Last edited by dropzone; 10-27-2011 at 05:59 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:53 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
if your put it in L from a dead stop and then manually shift it up as it needs does it have power?
Old 10-27-2011, 03:19 PM

You were 'sure' it was the head gasket, just from white smoke? (??)
No 'milkshake' in the oil?
Did you have the head machined for flatness?
Seems like a big leap from 'what do I do, no power' to "ok, put a new headgasket in'!!!
Hope it went well, though....

Lessee....the usual suspects....fire, air, fuel....if it turns over and nothing else happens, you have some figgering to do. Need to know if there is spark, and is fuel injecting into the cylinders. Are all connectors and grounds attached....coil working....on and on and on.
Timing is an issue, too, esp. if you did all that....new timing chain, I hope!

The site you reference looks like the Factory Service Manual (FSM).