Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Whats The Best SAS

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 10:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by whokrz
... With built Toyota axles, a 3.4, and your foot I think you are going to break the rear shafts and rear differential...
I hate to see people spend lots of money on Toyota axles, then sell them for half of what it cost to build them because they are not strong enough and they want 1tons...

Strong Toyota axle shafts http://www.longfieldsuperaxles.com/
Information on D70 http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/D70/D70.htm
Information on D60 http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/60_front/
SAS kit for 1tons on a Toyota http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new...uct.php?id=184

D70u.

Sky’s 4runner on 1tons
Thanks for the info. Thats what I was scared of. I like the idea of 1 tons under there. I don't want the tires to stick out looking like a cholo wagon though. Do happen to know what the width is on those axles (d60 and d70)? From what I have read stock width is 58.5 in teh rear and 58 in the front. So a couple of inches wider is cool but not too much. I saw the 1 ton housings made by diamond axle and spydertrax and they are looking good, and then saw some dirty 30's, and longfields. Just wondering what is better? (I know I have 2 different products there) Thanks Whokrz. This is what I was looking for, and I will take a look at those links.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

So here is what I have for widths. Stock 93 4Runner 58.5"
Diamond Axle width 62"
Spydertrax width 65"
D60 and D70 67.5"-69.25"

Can you cut some off of the housings? But do they sell the parts to fill the housing if you cut it?
I was liking this. http://www.diamondaxle.com/front_steering.htm Would this work? Any pros and cons to it? thanks

Last edited by yodathespian87; 05-13-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yodathespian87
I saw the 1 ton housings made by diamond axle and spydertrax and they are looking good, and then saw some dirty 30's, and longfields. Just wondering what is better? (I know I have 2 different products there)
On a Toyota axle with longs the differential becomes the week point, those are expensive to replace when they are geared and locked. I like the 8.4 tacoma differential, and think it will hold up a lot better to longs because of the trusses, larger bearings, and larger pinion.

Even these differentials are smaller/weaker than a D60.

http://www.diamondaxle.com makes custom axles. They will make you anything that you want and they should be able to give you ideas.

pros - They will make your axle with any center, outer, inner axle, width, if you can dream it up they can probably make it for you.The axle housing is very strong and you normally gain ground clearance because they can hug the housing closer to the differential.

Cons - They cost a lot of money

I kept going back and forth between these axles for my daily driver/trail rig,

A D60 front and a D70u rear.
Both axles would be full floaters
Off road - Strong, heavy which helps with flex, strong, wide which helps with not rolling over, and they are strong. The only bad thing I know of is the ground clearance is not that great so 39"+ tires are nice with them
On road - Wide attracts cops, heavy bad on mileage and my 22re, I already have a Toyota SAS so I would have to cut my truck up again which is lots of work.

Rear 8.4 tacoma differential and FJ80 outer 61" wide
Front a diamond 8.4 differential with Toyota outer, six shooter knuckles/arms, and 30 spline longs, also 61" wide.
Both axles would be full floaters
Off road - Stronger differential than the V6 differential, I can run 1.5" wheel spacers off road making my width 62.5 which is nice for not rolling over, much better clearance so I can run 37" tires and still have lots of room under the differential, heavier than stock which helps with flex, these axles would be a lot of money and would not be as strong as a D60 but would be a lot stronger than Toyota mini truck axles.
On road - Only 61" wide (same as tacoma) so the cops won't mess with me, much lighter than a D60/D70 which is easier on my engine/transmission and helps with mileage
Here is a link to Toyota differentials I think the 8.4 is the strongest in the 30 spline 8" flavor. http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/

I will end up going with the custom Toyota axles mainly because it is a DD. I don't beat the hell out of my truck, but I don't want to have to drive really easy like I do now with 37" tires and stock birfs. I think they will hold up to 35"-39" tires nicely, but I would not be comfortable going larger.

Just depends how hard you want to beat on stuff and how much money you want to throw at it.

Hope this was helpful
Lewis
Old 05-14-2009, 04:53 AM
Contributing Member

That it was. Well this is going to be a DD and a Toy, and how I just dropped in a 3.4, I think I will go with the Diamond axle. Save for it. Do it right so I only do it once. Now for a lift/ SAS kit do I go with the Sky's off road or can I use TG? (By the way I'm really liking the sky website!) I was thinking 4" in the front and 5" in the rear. I should fit 35"-37" tires under there right?
Old 05-15-2009, 03:38 PM

I used toyota rear springs that are 51" long, people also use 48" Toyota rears.
I like to make my own spring pack, that way I can make it however I want and it is cheaper.

If you are going to run 1tons then I would get Skys Toyota 1ton hanger.

If you are going to run Toyota axles and want a kit I would go with marlin's mainly because the springs are better quality than trail gears.
I would run 14" Bilstein shocks in the front
I would get trail gears six shooter knuckles and arms instead of stock knuckles and marlins arms.

I have a 2" body lift and the toyota rear springs gave me about 4" of lift, so the body it 6" higher than stock. I don't have any trouble clearing 37" tires. I have read that the 4" lift woill clear 37" tires, I have also heard that the 4" lift is alot more than 4".
normally 4" in the front and 5" in the rear is for a 4runner not sure if that is what you have or not.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah I have a 93n 4Runner. I don't like body lifts so from what I have heard is 4" in the front and 5" in the back. And I have heard tat and 4" is more than that in reality same for the 5". Well that great info. I will start saving and get around to this this coming winter. If I have any questions its good to know I have someone to ask. Thanks
Old 05-16-2009, 01:23 PM

Body lefts are ugly but help to keep center of gravity lower, it is also good for a flat belly.

Just make sure that you know how to weld or know some one that does.
Plan on having your truck down for some time, it is not normally one of those weekend jobs. When I did my SAS it took me about 3 months working on it after work and weekends. All I had was a welder and a grinder. The front wasn't to bad but putting rear leafs on a 93 is a pain because of all the weird cross member junk on them.
Here is some pictures from http://www.gentryoffroad.com/php/tru...runner/phaseI/
Old 05-17-2009, 12:57 PM
Contributing Member

yeah I figure It will be down for awhile so I will plan ahead for that. Thanks for the info and gentry offroad page pics. Yeah I know how to do some welding and have a friend that is pretty good. Then I figure me and a grinder will have a lot of time together. Think I will save this job for early spring next year.