Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Suspension, Rims, and Tires. Need Input, please.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension, Rims, and Tires. Need Input, please.

Hey Everyone,
I'm new to this forum, and this is my first post (since my introduction). I have had my 2003 Tacoma Xtra-cab 4x4 for about 6 months. I love it (although I wouldn't mind a 4-door), and it handles great on the streets and off road. The trouble is, it's completely stock. I bought it used, and it's not even the TRD package because I figured I would swap out all those options anyway. Meanwhile, it looks like every other truck on the road.

The first thing I want is bigger tires. I've pretty much settled on the BFG A/T, and I'd like to go with 33".
In order to accommodate these, I would need a lift. I understand that it is not a good idea with this model to go over a 2" lift because of what that would do to the angle of the CV joints. Is a 2" lift enough to clear a 33" tire?
I was almost ready to settle for a 32" tire with an Old Man Emu lift, but that just seems like a lot of money for really just a 1" clearance over my original tires (30"). I feel like the 33's would lend just that extra bit of aggression to the trails and to the overall look.

I drive a lot, living in LA. So I want to maintain the streetability. But I also do a bit of off roading and back country camping whenever I can.
My first priority is the ability of the truck. Second is the look of it. But in my mind, the two go hand in hand. A more capable truck just looks hot!

So...thoughts?

Thanks,
Felon

Last edited by International Felon; 07-20-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you aint scared to trim athem fenders then yea 2inches should be enough. but if your not, then probably not. is it a 3.4 or a 4banger? youll also loose some power going to a bigger tire, but thats common sense. now if youd throw a 3inch body lift on top of that susp lift then yea you should be able to clear them. btu i sont know much about the tacomas, someone more experienced will chime in here directly
Old 07-21-2009, 05:09 PM

id do a sas with d44 front axle 4inch springs and 37s with some bbcs shocks
Old 07-22-2009, 09:12 AM

Thanks for the input, Yoder.
It's a 3.4 v-6, and I'd like to stay away from as much trimming and cutting as I can. The general impression I've been getting is that 33's just won't fit without a significant bit of work.
37's would be great, bigarms, but that's a little bigger than I am looking for right now. Maybe someday, when I have separate vehicles for commuting and weekend play, then I can consider building my rig up to that size. But right now, I still need to fit into a parking garage with a 6'+ clearance.
Going to a bigger tire will of course steal a bit of the power, but if it's too much to handle, I thought about changing the gearing. Since 32's aren't that much bigger than the stock 30's I have on there now, I am hoping it won't be that much of a problem.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:20 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
You can fit 33's with a 2" lift, But your going to have to hammer the pinchweld a little bit, Nothing crazy, Shouldnt have to trim at all.
Please dont put a 3" body lift on that.

I love my lift setup on my Taco, I just dont know if what the best option for you is..

Check out wheelers offroad dot com er something like that, They have full Old man Emu lift kits for a reasonable price.

You say you want to increase ability ? The best mod I did to my truck for ability was my rear locker.

The lift, 33's, and some armor has only added to that..

Check out TTORA.com, link is in my signature. Its the best Tacoma board around, except for the fact its not really censored and they would rip your head off if you asked this. Especially in offroad tech

Welcome and good Luck !!

Old 07-22-2009, 09:23 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Oh, And keep it to a skinny tire, a 12.5 your going to rub more then I was saying, a 10.5 is perfect for these trucks

Oh, Here's my taco

Old 07-22-2009, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by International Felon
3.4 v-6,
Going to a bigger tire will of course steal a bit of the power, but if it's too much to handle, I thought about changing the gearing. Since 32's aren't that much bigger than the stock 30's I have on there now, I am hoping it won't be that much of a problem.
I swaped in a 3.4L into my 4runner. Currently am running 35's and 5.29 gears in the axles. IT pulls like crazy, i threw on my buddy's 39.5" iroks and i noticed a little difference, it was a bit slower but still pulled, much better than any lifted toyota id driven in.

IT generally seems to be a sprial. I started out stock and thought that would be PERFECT. Then i did a small lift, and ran 33's.. Then the next thing I know its, sas'd, locked, geared, etc................... and now i want 4d's...

Just build it how you like it. What width 33's? Cause you could fit a 33x10.50 a lot easier than a 33x14.50, etc..
Old 07-22-2009, 11:04 AM

Thanks guys. Good advice.
I have no plans for a 3" body lift. I prefer a low center of gravity with a high clearance.
I won't post anything in that other forum, Scuba. Thanks for the warning. Actually, should this thread have been posted somewhere else in this forum? Is there a "Noobs with stock rigs" section?
So it looks like I'm going with the 33's then. Awesome! That's what I wanted to hear! What if my new rims extend out just a little bit. Would that keep me from having to hammer the pinchwelds?
Lockers are in my future, I think. So far I have been fine without them. If the bigger tires see me tackling harder obstacles, I will install lockers.
But like anyone else, money is my biggest obstacle right now. Another few paychecks, and I should have enough. Unless anyone has any job leads in LA....?

Thanks everyone,
Felon
Old 07-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome to Yotatech!

Old 07-22-2009, 12:54 PM
Banned

i had a 97 with a 3" suspension lift and 305/70 tires.. i put a small spacer on just the front wheels and with a little trimming it fit fine

oh and i put the body lift on later, for looks and a bit more clearance. not recommended though

Last edited by ^99runner^; 07-22-2009 at 12:56 PM.