Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Super stock 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Super stock 3.0

I've been looking around for a new engine for my 4runner. Someone recommended Oregon Engine Rebuilders, so i checked out their ebay store and saw the Super stock 3.0 and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this motor and is it a noticeable power difference over the stock motor? Or should I just go stock with headers?
Old 04-26-2010, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually just ordered one of these from them. I should be getting it early next week and have it installed a week or two afterwards. The RV cam adds more torque to the low end RPM range, and the oversized valves help keep power thoughout the entire RPM range. Hope this helps some. I'll be able to tell you my complete thoughts on the unit about mid May
Edit - btw - John (from Oregon Engines) recommends that you go with a 2 1/2" (but no less than 2 1/4") exhaust and a free flowing cat with this unit.

Last edited by dieselloco427; 04-26-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:08 PM

Ya, thanks it helps a little. I wanted to get the super stock with headers, a free flowing cat and all that good stuff, but being a poor college student, I was wondering if it was worth the few extra dollars.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by 4runnerJ
Ya, thanks it helps a little. I wanted to get the super stock with headers, a free flowing cat and all that good stuff, but being a poor college student, I was wondering if it was worth the few extra dollars.
I'm a broke college student myslef, so I hear ya! I actually had to take out a small loan from my bank to get this done.
I wouldn't worry about the headers - yes they sound nice and help a little bit with performance, but cost wise - quite pricy. I'm going to start an engine "upgrade" thread soon, or I might just tag on to the existing thread I had started after tearing my engine down.
FYI - Oregon Engines is about 2 weeks backed up right now, which is not a problem to me, rather have something buit right than thrown together quick. Thats the main reason I'm not rebuilding myself - no time between classes and 2 jobs.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:00 PM

How'd you figure out what they rebuild it with? I looked around their site and found nothing. Also looked around the e bay site and could not see any build specs.

Do they say what kind of HP numbers the "Super Build" has? any estimates?
Old 05-01-2010, 06:06 PM

I contacted John at Oregon Engines - or at least thats who always replies to my emails and phone calls. I haven't asked about power numbers, but I'm going to have it dynoed when everything is put back together.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:24 PM

remember, headers on a 3vze are a good way to help with burned valves. the crossover is stupid restrictive and allows allot of heat to build up in that corner..
Old 05-03-2010, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by yotaman85
remember, headers on a 3vze are a good way to help with burned valves. the crossover is stupid restrictive and allows allot of heat to build up in that corner..
Ya, this was one of the reasons why I wanted the headers.

Originally Posted by dieselloco427
I'm a broke college student myslef, so I hear ya! I actually had to take out a small loan from my bank to get this done.
I wouldn't worry about the headers - yes they sound nice and help a little bit with performance, but cost wise - quite pricy. I'm going to start an engine "upgrade" thread soon, or I might just tag on to the existing thread I had started after tearing my engine down.
FYI - Oregon Engines is about 2 weeks backed up right now, which is not a problem to me, rather have something buit right than thrown together quick. Thats the main reason I'm not rebuilding myself - no time between classes and 2 jobs.
Ya I'm trying to come up with the money now, I want to try and get it done over the summer. But I will keep an eye out for your engine "upgrade" tread.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:43 AM

Yotaman...have you dropped that Super Stock in yet? I have one sitting in my garage that my son and I will be working on putting into his '88 this weekend. So...i am kind of curious as to how things are going with yours.

Thanks.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by phildelfino
How'd you figure out what they rebuild it with? I looked around their site and found nothing. Also looked around the e bay site and could not see any build specs.

Do they say what kind of HP numbers the "Super Build" has? any estimates?
I emailed John the other day and he said that the Super Stock 3VZE makes 190 horsepower and 210 lb-ft of torque. Pretty impressive numbers if you ask me.

Last edited by safetyman; 05-12-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
damn....don't believe they an make 190hp with rv cams and bigger valves....gotta be more to it than that.

although that is probably just a brake horsepower number, not a "to-the-wheels" dyno number....

lots of parasitic power loss goes on in a 4wd truck lol.

although now, i wouldn't mind having that kinda horsepower, that's up there above the 3.4 i believe.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:30 PM

I'm having mine put on the dyno after it's put back together So time will tell if OERI's #'s are truthful
Old 05-12-2010, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
damn....don't believe they an make 190hp with rv cams and bigger valves....gotta be more to it than that.

although that is probably just a brake horsepower number, not a "to-the-wheels" dyno number....

lots of parasitic power loss goes on in a 4wd truck lol.

although now, i wouldn't mind having that kinda horsepower, that's up there above the 3.4 i believe.
When I got those numbers I immediately considered them to be numbers they got when they tested on an engine dyno. Like you, I really doubt that all of those 190 horses get to the wheels.

I guess we'll really see when dieselloco gets his on the dyno.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i bet it's not more than 10 hp, rv cams and over sized valves don't do much in terms of hp gains, the cams won't do more than move the power band, and make it a little broader.

now if it was bored about .050 over, do some serious port and polish, some "nice" cams (as in nasty cams, big lift and duration), a set of headers, bigger throttle body, get rid of the afm, in favor of a MAF sensor ( i believe...LOL) ISR mod, free flowing 2.25" exhaust (or 2.5") and you should be looking and some nice numbers.

if someone made a stroker kit for this motor, that'd be nice. lol

stroker kit, plus the above things. and you'd be looking at some nice numbers

i think the jeep inline 4.0 has a stroker kit that takes it out to 4.6, and it makes considerable gains
Old 05-12-2010, 03:19 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
i bet it's not more than 10 hp, rv cams and over sized valves don't do much in terms of hp gains, the cams won't do more than move the power band, and make it a little broader.

now if it was bored about .050 over, do some serious port and polish, some "nice" cams (as in nasty cams, big lift and duration), a set of headers, bigger throttle body, get rid of the afm, in favor of a MAF sensor ( i believe...LOL) ISR mod, free flowing 2.25" exhaust (or 2.5") and you should be looking and some nice numbers.

if someone made a stroker kit for this motor, that'd be nice. lol

stroker kit, plus the above things. and you'd be looking at some nice numbers )
andddd how many miles would you get to a gallon... hmmm uhhh ugghhh lets say....... 8-10? and thats being respectful.... lol
Old 05-12-2010, 03:19 PM

hehe - I'd think I'd op for an engine swap instead of stroking a 3VZ-E...
Old 05-12-2010, 03:22 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
lol im going for a swap no matter what happens to my 3vz. sell off my headers and put the stock manifolds back on... sell the whole engine complete.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:22 PM

hehe - I'd think I'd op for an engine swap instead of stroking a 3VZ-E...
But you already went with the rebuilt 3.0 .
Old 05-12-2010, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by safetyman
But you already went with the rebuilt 3.0 .
Yeah - but if I were to think about stroking out an engine - I don't think It would be a VeeZee...
Old 05-12-2010, 03:27 PM

Yeah - but if I were to think about stroking out an engine - I don't think It would be a VeeZee...
You're right. If I were to mod a motor to that extent, I would definitely think about subbing another motor for my 3.0.

Quick Reply: Super stock 3.0