Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Newbie engnbldr rebuild kit questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie engnbldr rebuild kit questions

Hey. I'm gonna rebuild my previous 22re engine. I got it somewhat stripped off today so I'm gonna have to hurry up and get a kit to rebuild it. I was looking at this kit here.
I have a couple questions though. There are piston and bearing size choices though. What should I get? What is the difference between them?
Also the cam. This one comes with the 268 cam but it can also come with a 261 cam. Which one of those ones is a better choice?
Thanks
Old 04-24-2010, 09:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought a kit from him a few years ago and it was more than a complete kit. As for the parts don't buy anything until who figure out if you are going to bore out the block I went .030 over my 22re it had over 228k and thought it would be a good idea. As for the bearings esp the crank find out if the crank needs to be turned. My crank needed to be turned I believe .010 so I called and told them how much my crank was ground down and they sent correct bearings I also went with the 268 cam.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got tbhe 261 cam. This is absolutely best rebuild kit out there. And it all depends is your engine all worn out and need to be bored out to freshen the cylinder walls? Does the crank need to be turned to remove a groove or scratch in it?

But I highly recommend this kit. And if u email engnbldr. He will personally answer your questions
Old 04-25-2010, 10:38 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Engine Builder is a great company to do business with.

This is what can cause problems with some machine shops if you can`t do the rest of the rebuild yourself.

You want them to do the work but buy the parts elsewhere and have them put the bearings and pistons in. after boring the block and turning the crank.

In some shops around here they will just tell you no we won`t do that others will take the job but steady customers work comes before yours meaning it could take forever or seem like that.

Since you didn`t know what the different size pistons and bearing were for I am guessing you have not built many engines.

Maybe things are different in your area .

Good luck
Old 04-26-2010, 08:16 AM
Contributing Member

I waited till after machine shop told me what I needed.

.50 over is what was done to gett the block back into shape.... the crank just needed polishing. I would talk to someone "smart" about how you drive and let them choose the cam that fit your driving style.... thera are many many cams out there.

I have 2 rebuild kits, one top end up from EB and another from felpro.....

a mix of both has been grand as each kit seems to have cut corners on one gasket or another;(

Still not sure if I'll use the rock head gasket or buy yet another and goe OEM, the felpro Head gasket looks icky in compairson to rock's HG????

Have fun.

Repo
Old 04-26-2010, 04:38 PM

Ok. So do I have to bring the whole engine into a shop to get it machined before I rebuild it? I'm not even sure where I can bring it to get that done here. And wyoming9 you are right. I have never done a rebuild before. Just thought it would be a good project.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by khamblin
Ok. So do I have to bring the whole engine into a shop to get it machined before I rebuild it? I'm not even sure where I can bring it to get that done here. And wyoming9 you are right. I have never done a rebuild before. Just thought it would be a good project.
This is a great place to start the 22re is really a nice basic engine to rebuild for your first rebuild. I did mine with engnbldrs master kit and ZERO 22re experience this time last year. I got all my info from here I have no manuals or other books to help me just YOTATECH and the search button. I did hot rod my motor so I had the block decked align bored and cylinders bored 20 over then got a L.C.Engineering Pro Street Head and cam and if I would have done just a bit more research I would have just gone with the engnbldr over sized valve head just about exactly the same as LCE but 6 hundred bucks cheaper and I ended up scraping the cam and getting the 268 from engnblder , 5k miles later this thing rolls with the big dogs and still gets 16-18 mpg with 35's and 5.29's.
Here ya go lots of good info that will be very beneficial for you.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...begins-185041/
Old 04-27-2010, 05:37 PM

Sweet. Thanks for the help oldharleyman. Looks like a pretty decent rebuild you did. Colors are pretty cool too. I'll have to find a shop around here that will do that stuff first. Thanks
Old 04-27-2010, 06:26 PM

I recommend calling every machine shop that you will have access to. I spent 3 or 4 days looking for shops and finally found a shop that was practically taking words outta my mouth. Price was very reasonable and I got the "Comfort factor" from him. Although Im still on the lookout since Ive time needed to save up money. This is my first "complete" rebuild so Im no pro myself but the more you call, the better chance you have at finding a better deal.

I might add that Im still getting my parts engnbldr.com and my shop was perfectly fine with it.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by mistergarrett
I recommend calling every machine shop that you will have access to. I spent 3 or 4 days looking for shops and finally found a shop that was practically taking words outta my mouth. Price was very reasonable and I got the "Comfort factor" from him. Although Im still on the lookout since Ive time needed to save up money. This is my first "complete" rebuild so Im no pro myself but the more you call, the better chance you have at finding a better deal.

I might add that Im still getting my parts engnbldr.com and my shop was perfectly fine with it.
Ok. Ya I'm gonna have to search here. I'm in northern bc so I'm not sure how easy it will be even to find someone who does it. Have to see what happens. Hopefully I can find one that's not too far away.