Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

How do I replace a clutch in my 86 4Runner?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 09:23 AM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
I have our old pile of a computer out in the garage, so I can have the FSM up and running if I need it while I am out there. Problem solved. I have collected a Haynes and a Chilton's from coworkers that have got rid of their rides. They are ok for little stuff, but yes, "poopie" would be a good description for it.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haha well nevermind on the haynes thanks for saving me the money so far i got the bolts out of the driveline but cant get them to comeout.. any tricks? also wondering how heavy they are?
And the cross member under the t case i tried getting the bolts loose they wont budge ive tried everything a cheater even my feet! any ideas??
Old 06-18-2010, 01:05 PM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Can't get the bolts out or the driveshaft? If all the bolts are out, be careful! When it breaks loose it'll knock you on the head. They, just the like the tranny/engine, kind of build up their own "seal" after being together for so long. I usually (on the driveshafts) do one side at a time, and take all but one bolt out. I loosen that one bolt quite a bit, but make sure it's still threaded, then hit the u-joint with something. Don't damage it, but give it a good whack and it should break loose, but the bolt will hold it in instead of it hitting you in the face. They are heavy.

If they tranny/t-case is not supported, DO NOT take the cross member off. If you still have the bellhousing bolts in, you can secure the tranny to a jack and take off the crossmember. If the bolts won't come loose, spray some liquid wrench or something on them & let them sit over night. From now on, any time you plan to do a job, and it's on the undercarraige of the truck where rust builds up, spray the bolts you plan to remove the day before you start trying to remove them.

My spare tire carrier was seized, and while my truck was sitting in the garage (tranny & engine being rebuilt), I sprayed the chain and everything almost every day with rust penentrator. Finally one day it broke loose...but anyways, spray bolts with penetrator a day or even for a couple days before trying to get them loose. Otherwise you end up using a huge breaker bar and you snap the heads right off them. Also make sure you're trying to turn them the right way Stupid I know, but I've found myself, especially when I'm on my back under the truck, using a breaker bar that doesn't ratchet, trying to turn things the wrong way.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:17 PM

i did get all the bolts out it just wont come out.. but ill get the rubber allet and start whackin.

and ill get some ligiud wrench today thanks for the tipp.

and for the crossmember after i get on the liquid wrench can i just get the bolts loose untill i can find someone to help me??
Old 06-18-2010, 01:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
download that FSM and print it out if you want a hard copy. it's much better than either aftermarket manual. it also has more torque-spec info and etc.

also, go ahead and get some decent quality (as in, OEM or comparable brand) clutch master and slave cylinders, and a speed bleeder for the slave. you'll be bleeding the system out anyway. with the speed bleeder you can do the bleed solo. there's a how-to thread on YT. it would be a real kick in the arse to have one of them fail within a few weeks if you reused existing. it's peace-of-mind for very little extra expense.

AND while you're at it, grab a flashlight and put eyes on your clutch pedal bracket. they can crack and put some unwanted play in your pedal. if you do the master cyl, you'll be under there anyway to attach it to the pedal.

good luck, we're all counting on you.
Tj
Old 06-18-2010, 01:32 PM

ok ill keep that in mind thanks.

and ill check into the master and slave when i go get the liquid wrench.

and also to make sure your not talking about the clutch pedal itself your talkin about the bracket that holds it?
Old 06-18-2010, 01:48 PM

does anyone know how to put pictures in the thread so i can figure out what is what??
Old 06-19-2010, 01:47 PM

:so i finally got the tranny out!!

was gunna get the flywheel machined but it will take untill monday so im gettin a new one so i can get this done and overwith!!

what a pain that tranny was to get out but i did it (with some help)!

goin to shucks now!!

and also can someoone tell me how to put pictures on the thread??
Old 06-19-2010, 07:03 PM

how much fluid do i put in the tranny??
Old 06-19-2010, 08:25 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Get a photobucket account to host the pics. Then you can use the code to post up pics.

Check your manual on how much fluid. But the fill hole is such a PITA. A lot of guys will pull the shifter, and pour it in there until it comes out of the fill hole on the side of the tranny. Tranny full.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:28 AM

thanks!! could figure it out for nuthin i still got the shifter off so ill do that.

almost got the tranny back in just got the bellhousing bolts the drivelines and the shifters and get that sucker in my name and im ready for the trails

thanks everyone for all the tips and tricks much apprieciated couldnt of done it without ya!

Last edited by cjs4runner; 06-21-2010 at 12:35 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:03 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Nice!
Old 06-21-2010, 10:14 PM

finally done!!!

only took 4 days but just drove her to the store and shifts great!!

thanks everyone for all your help you guys are lifesavers!

now just gotta find some new 33's or 35's if they fit..