Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

E-Brake Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-Brake Problem

1994 Toyota Truck 4cyl w. 104k. Ebrake light is on and the cable seems disconnected from the handle. I have searched this topic but most threads are on advanced cable modifying. Anyway, how do i access this handle to reattach the cable? Anyone know of any tech articles on this sort of thing? I'm going to buy a haynes but i prefer a good tech article. Thanks... New the the forum, this is a truck for fun and insurance blanket for my audi!
Old 12-01-2006, 01:51 PM

1. The "e-brake" light actually means that there's a problem with the brakes in general. Check brake fluid.
2. There are, I think, 3 parking brake cables - get underneath the truck and check which one you have to buy.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:57 PM

Brake lines were just replaced and fluid is full. I'm thinking that the e brake is slightly seized in the back keeping the light on, but the cable is disconnected somewhere. Im really curious how i get behind the dash to see if the cable isn't attached to the handle.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:00 PM

The only relationship between the e-brake light and the actual e-brake is the switch by the e-brake handle. Otherwise, the light is a sign of a different brake problem.

That means, that your disconnected ebrake cable won't cause the light to come on.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:11 PM

yup. definitely 2 different problems. I'm more concerned about the cable. I'm fairly sure i'm going to have to loosen the rear mechanisms to turn off the light. I just don't know how to access the back side of the handle.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
The e-brake light is turned on by a limit switch on the e-brake handle. Might not be adjusted right or something is preventing the e-brake handle from fully releasing and turning the switch off.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:46 AM

Would a broken cable cause this light to come on?
Old 01-08-2007, 07:24 PM

Emergency Brake Cable Replacement

Sounds like the cable is broken. There is a pin on the brake T handle that presses in a switch when the brake is disengaged. If the cable is broken, the T handle is not pulled in all the way and the light stays on.

I just broke and replaced my E - brake cable, so here goes. This took me 2 hours and I didn't know what I was doing when I started.

Crawl under your truck and find the cable housing. Remove the old cable. Now you have slack inside.

Peel up your carpet a bit and you can see where the cable comes up from the floor board.

It runs upward to a plastic pulley secured with a cotter pin. Remove the pulley.

Now for the tricky part. The end of the cable is held by a barrel shaped slot at the end of the T handle. In order to remove it, you must rotate the T handle such that the slot in the handle lines up with the slot in the track that the pin runs in. Unfortunately, the pin prevents you from rotating the
T handle, so you must remove the pin.

The pin is pressed into the T handle, but it has splines on it, so if you try to twist it out, it will break off. Feel on side of the track opposite the pin for a hole about 5mm in diameter. Align the back of the pin with the hole and drive it out with a punch and hammer.

With the pin removed, you can rotate the T handle and remove the cable. Do not remove the T handle. It is an unnecessary PITA to get it back in.

Install your new cable end, reinstall the pin by pressing it in with channel locks, reinstall the pulley, and reroute your cable under your truck.

If you need pictures/have more questions let me know (email or call). I loaned the truck out, but I'll have it back tomorrow.

FYI, I paid $38 for my new cable from a generic auto parts store. They did have to special order it. I've heard about $60 for the part from the dealer.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:51 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
A broken cable would not cause the light to come on. The only things that cause that light to come on are a bad alternator (charge light would also be on), Low brake fluid, or a misadjusted or malfunctioning E-brake sensor switch mounted on the E-brake handle.

Try jumping the leads on the connector that plugs into the sensor. If the light goes out, you have a faulty sensor, or misadjusted handle.

This is all assuming there is nothing jamming up your handle from going all the way down. If the cable broke, and is stopping the handle from going all the way down and touching the sensor, then yes, the cable is technically causing the light to stay on.

No need to disconnect the cable from the wheels at all. If the cable is broken at the handle (where they always break) You can disconnect it there, and at the junction to near the pass side of the t-case, in front of the fuel tank.

For my $.02, i would not suggest buying that cheap aftermarket cable btw. You think your Toyota one didn't last long...try using that cheap crapola.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:34 AM

This is kind of related to this thread. I first noticed one brake light in the rear was dead and a few months later noticed that all 3 of my brake lights were gone and I noticed my ABS light started to come on and now is constantly on. Just a few days ago I am now noticing my e brake occasionally coming on for a brief momment but does not stay on. Anyone have a sure diagnosis. Could all 3 brake lights be dead or is there a bigger problem causing the ABS light to come on as well. Please help.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:08 AM

I say: replace the lightbulbs. Next time replace the bulbs right after you notice that the light is out.

ABS would be an unrelated problem. Check for codes.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:02 PM

E-Brake Adjustment

I had the same problem, it was the adjustment underneath the driver seat on the frame rail (outside of vehicle). It is an adjustment with 2 jam/lock nuts on a threaded section of rod. I forget which way to adjust it but once you look at it it should make sense on which way to. You should get about 12 clicks out of the e-brake once properly adjusted. Basically once there is slight tension on the cable (just enough to make the light stay off). Hope this helps.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:33 PM

That's great advice and I will take a look at it tomorrow morning. I also noticed that the e brake light would go on on a hard accelaration from a stop and would go away once I ease off on the gas.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:15 PM

Unhappy Strange E-brake Light...

Yeah, i've got an issue where hard acceleration, or a sharp turn(like out of a parking lot) will cause my e-brake light to come on, and it goes away after a seemingly random amount of time.

oddly enough, i cant recall it ever doing it on a right-hand turn, only when i turn it to the left, but that could just be coincidence.

if it was brake fluid being low, would it be staying on all the time?
Old 03-21-2007, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
My buddy's '94 pcikup was doing that. We finally decided to flush the brake fluid in the system (~1 qt. of fresh fluid) and the light stopped coming on. Likely cause is the low fluid sensor in the reservoir, it is an electrical sensor and likely too much water in the brake fluid throws it off and makes it turn on the brake light.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:06 PM

sounds reasonable.
thanks, im gonna have to try that
Old 04-02-2007, 10:33 AM

Just a thought...when I got my 95 Tacoma the e-brake woudlnt go all the way back in and the light stayed on. I got underneath the truck by the drivers seat and found where the cable goes into a sleeve. I sprayed this lube and it freed itself and the light went off. It hasnt gone back on since. That was 6 months ago!!!
Old 04-04-2007, 12:27 AM

My 90' 4Runner as well as my friends 94' both broke the cable right at the handle. Like everybody has said go underneath and see which cables are attached and which aren't. As for the light I also agree that it would be an adjustment.