Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Dual twin stick ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 07:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ya Andrew your fine... just think of the front case as a reduction unit only. 2wd Lo I guess. Even if your hubs are in when you put it in low your still not in 4wd. I use mine all the time for like backing in the driveway and stuff. A big no no with dual cases though is to push in your clutch and let your truck roll fast down a hill with it in low low. The front shaft is still spinning at the output and stuff starts moving way too fast inside the case. I've heard of two different having their pressure plate explode from spinning too fast doing that.

A twin stick in the rear is particularly helpful if you don't have a selectable locker up front. If you need to turn real sharp in the rocks you can just kick it out of 4wd for a minute so you can actually steer yet keep your reduction. I wish I had one but doing the linkage with my center console would be a nightmare. Just the standard stick took us a whole day to get it to work coming up through the change holder where I have it.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by UKMyers
Ya Andrew your fine... just think of the front case as a reduction unit only. 2wd Lo I guess. Even if your hubs are in when you put it in low your still not in 4wd. I use mine all the time for like backing in the driveway and stuff. A big no no with dual cases though is to push in your clutch and let your truck roll fast down a hill with it in low low. The front shaft is still spinning at the output and stuff starts moving way too fast inside the case. I've heard of two different having their pressure plate explode from spinning too fast doing that.

A twin stick in the rear is particularly helpful if you don't have a selectable locker up front. If you need to turn real sharp in the rocks you can just kick it out of 4wd for a minute so you can actually steer yet keep your reduction. I wish I had one but doing the linkage with my center console would be a nightmare. Just the standard stick took us a whole day to get it to work coming up through the change holder where I have it.
Sweet thanks for the heads up Joey. It'll be nice havin 2low for driving up steep roads up in the mountains where I like to go camping where unless I'm in first gear I bog down. I don't think I'll have a front locker for a while cause I don't wanna put any more money into the IFS cause it's just gunna get chopped off eventually, I'm tryin to do stuff to my truck that I can still use after I SAS it. I may weld the front for a cheap locker, but I need to look into that some more...
Old 07-22-2009, 08:33 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
If you leave the hubs unlocked, and put the truck in 4lo, you will essentially have 2 lo. There is almost no point in having twin sticks on a Toyota case.

And don't weld the front, unless you plan on hydro assist or full hydraulic steering. And longs. And a myriad of other upgrades.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:50 AM

DC..

Some of us are fatter than others and don't want to get in/out to lock and unlock the hubs.. That is where Twin sticks come in handy.. lol
Old 07-22-2009, 11:24 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
But what is the logical purpose?! UNless you are hardcore rock crawling, there really isn't a need to NOT be in 2Low 4x4 hubs locked. Unless you have a spool but really, who drives on FS roads in 2lo with a spool?

Besides, twin sticks don't eliminate the need to lock/unlock the hubs, your hubs would still be locked, the transfer case just won't be engaged.

Last edited by DeathCougar; 07-22-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
If you leave the hubs unlocked, and put the truck in 4lo, you will essentially have 2 lo. There is almost no point in having twin sticks on a Toyota case.

And don't weld the front, unless you plan on hydro assist or full hydraulic steering. And longs. And a myriad of other upgrades.
I've been reading up on it and have decided against it, it was just a quick though. Oh and I don't think they make Longfield CV's or am I missing something.... :hillbll:

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
But what is the logical purpose?! UNless you are hardcore rock crawling, there really isn't a need to NOT be in 2Low 4x4 hubs locked. Unless you have a spool but really, who drives on FS roads in 2lo with a spool?

Besides, twin sticks don't eliminate the need to lock/unlock the hubs, your hubs would still be locked, the transfer case just won't be engaged.
Exactly! Rock crawling, that's what we do here in Nor Cal!
Old 07-22-2009, 12:50 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I got a twin stick in the rear case. Sometimes it has been handy to run the tight turns in 2wd even with the front hubs locked and auto locker. It make some turns a little easier but my t-case doesn't always kick out of 4wd to 2wd as easy as it sounds so thats a PITA. Is it worth it??? Sometimes its cool/useful and other times its just one more thing to remember.

LOL I had a guy one time come up to the driver window and ask if my 4wd was working. oops.