Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

81-83 truck?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
81-83 truck?

i am thinking of buying a 81 to 83 (year was not posted) 4 banger and i was wondering if yall could give my some general info on these vehicles i am a jeep guy looking to broadin my herizons and execl through college getting better gas milage than my jeeps 4.0 and i just have no luck with cars so im goign to try another truck i can post pics of the truck im looking at if wanted but i am lookin into gas milage and other general info on these truck and if it helps it is also a manual transmision. thanks yall for the help
Old 11-07-2009, 02:48 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I love my 4rnr, so don't take this wrong. But an early '80's truck will probably take a good bit of work, time, and money. So look it over good cause it could be a bad experience if your trying do do the college thing, tight on cash, and need a reliable form of transpo. If you got the mech skills or are willing to learn it can be fun, but it can get expensive too.

Welcome to YT.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:57 PM

thanks bud.. i love trucks and wheelin so i will work and im going to school for collision repair at lincoln tech so i would like to think im mechanically inclinedhaha.. so yea i little work never hurt anyone but it sures has pi*sed alot of people off. so if it seems to get decent gas milage i will try my damdest to get it. heres some of the pics.
Attached Thumbnails 81-83 truck?-toyota1.jpg   81-83 truck?-toyota-2.jpg   81-83 truck?-toyota-3.jpg  
Old 11-07-2009, 03:12 PM

Looks nice, look under it for rust, have seen some scary rig jobs. Saw a post once of a guy the bent the frame into an inverted v the first time he test 4 low on pavement on a new to him truck, I laughed. Test everything
Old 11-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Contributing Member

Hey toy_yota34 welcome to the family...
Please try to make your thread titles a little more specific then just "?" you'll get faster, better responses and a lot less flak lol...
Those trucks are usually solid performers but do tend to be a little rust prone, a particularly hard to repair trouble spot is the back of the cab-floor connection. 84-88 solved the cab rust issues but the boxes still rusted out along the seam joints as before. 89-on went to a one piece side and solved box rust issues.
Plenty of sources for parts for them though some smaller parts are getting harder to find. looks like she'll be a good ride and also a source of projects for school.
Aviator
Old 11-07-2009, 03:21 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
welcome to YT. That truck looks like a good base.
If it is still stocked gears, the 32's it looks like it has will not be the best for mileage. Sucks but you would get better mileage with a set of 235/75 pizza cutters.

1st Gens (79-83) have a tendency to rust in the cab, especially at the two rear corners of the cab and the driver's side floor. Be sure to pull up any rubber matt or carpeting to inspect the floor. Also inspect the frame as muddpigg suggested.

It is an old truck check to make sure everything works.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:16 PM

thanks yall. i have delt with alot of rust jeep never solved that problem in the cherokees so i hacked it for it to be able to wheel haha. but i think that i can fix it if theres any rust. and it has 33's but i have 31's on my jeep that i can just switch out. if i have to much of a problem. and i was also wondering if the 22 r and matching 5 speed have any mechanical issues that i would need to know about. the body work im not worried about thats my current job and what i am going to school for but for what its worth i am at yalls mercy for info as i only know about jeep cherokeesso thanks for any help.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:46 PM

Nothing in perticular jumps to mind, my buddy had an '81. You can down load the factory service manual and bawdabing bawdaboom. Electrical issues come to mind for a rig thats sat for awhile as critters like to take shelter and tend to chew. I'd pay close attention to what work the PO has put into it, no telling what you may find then, as not all home mechanics are create equal.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:08 PM

yea that is definatley understood. some backyard mechanics shouldnt even be alowed to change their brakes haha. but im going to look at everything ive been screwed over in the past so im going to be alot more caustious when looking at this truck if i even get to look at it i havenot got a call back.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member

should'nt be any issues mech. wise that engine and tranny are nearly bulletproof only thing might need doing is the clutch... for some reason in my experience every time I get a new ride I have to put a clutch in it within a week and then it's good till I get rid of it... clutches seem to be very driver specific...

one problem you might have is the timing chain... when the guides wear out the chain cuts through the jacket of the water pump... the pump jacket can usually be fixed with a weld patch though...

Last edited by aviator; 11-08-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:18 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
The early 5-speeds were weak...

I have an 83 and love it, but it took a lot of work and $ to get it reliable. They are old trucks, and often abused off-road...so you just never know. Listen to the tranny when you drive it. If it's got a glasspack like mine did...I don't know what to tell you. Was great when I got the exhaust quited down and could then hear the tranny grumbling...