Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

1 QUICK rear leaf lift + hanger - question - 88 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by brota4x4
What's a U-bolt flip? I'm always looking for ways to get more clearance wherever I can.
Stock setup has square u-bolts that fit over the top of the springs and a plate and nuts go on from below:

With a flip kit, you put a round (3" inner diameter) around the axle tube and the plate and nuts go on top of the springs:

And yes, I do have bump stops, but you can see how the one on the compressed side has folded over towards the tire (no springs were harmed in the taking of this photo!).

Last edited by 4Crawler; 01-05-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So you can use the same plate, but you have to buy the rounded u-bolts? Do you have to special order these or can you get them at a hardware store? I like the way it looks flipped, and nice flex btw.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:30 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
now that is flexin!
Old 01-05-2009, 08:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
oh 4crawler, ive never delt with leafs befor, do the new leafs come with "leaf clips", or to refer to your 2nd pic on the leaf, the things between the center of the axle and the frame mount?
Old 01-05-2009, 08:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by brota4x4
So you can use the same plate, but you have to buy the rounded u-bolts? Do you have to special order these or can you get them at a hardware store? I like the way it looks flipped, and nice flex btw.
Usually need a flat spring plate, not the cupped stock one:

And usually you need to get the u-bolts at a spring or 4WD shop. I like the Ranch u-bolts (pictured above). They are grade 8 (bolt and nuts) and last forever, unlike many low end u-bolts that are technically considered one-time use parts. You can get complete u-bolt flip kits (plates and bolts) but you'll need to do something for lower shock mounts, since the stock u-bolt plates also have shock mounts on them.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 874runnersr5
oh 4crawler, ive never delt with leafs befor, do the new leafs come with "leaf clips", or to refer to your 2nd pic on the leaf, the things between the center of the axle and the frame mount?
Usually they do, depends on the mfg. of the springs. Mine are Alcan springs and they have several spring clamps including the one up front that hold the top anti-wrap leaf to the pack and that helps to control axle wrap / wheel hop.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:14 PM

Thanks for the tips. I should be getting my lift soon, and I'm going to look into the flip kit. It will be easier to do it at the same time I lift it, so I won't have to get back under there and flip them. I'm gonna see if one of the local 4x4 shops have what I need, and it the price is decent then I'm gonna do it.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
Actually ~3.5" stock length and for lift vs. length, see the discussion below:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/Shackles.shtml#FAQ4
That of course assumes you can remove your old u-bolts (i.e. the nuts are not rusted in place or the exposed threads are not damaged).

thats the case
bolts are wasted
also they are currently using the 2" blocks..
thats why I was asking about the stock length

good info in the link

Originally Posted by BLKNBLU

BTW we need to talk about my 1.8T sometime.

BLKNBLUM me an email
Old 01-06-2009, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

In that case, a flip kit is an even better option. Usually costs about the same as a set of new u-bolts, so it is basically a no-cost upgrade for you.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just put a set of the OME 2" springs on my 4runner last weekend and am pretty happy with the results. it sure sits higher! these are supposed to be 2" over stock, but factoring in the sag my old springs had, the back end is about 5" higher now than it was before. I put in some BJ spacers to even out the front but the truck still has a bit of rake to it.

the only hitch was, because of the extra leafs in the OMEs, the stock u-bolts *barely* fit on now. I had to attach them without the washers to get threads all the way through the nuts. anyone know where to get an extended set?

p.s. for what's it's worth I got these from Rocky Road and they were actually pretty friendly and helpful. They saved me a bunch in shipping by letting me do a will call pickup from the distributor, which is near me. the only bad was waiting 2 months for ARB to backorder the parts.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by chuntr
I just put a set of the OME 2" springs on my 4runner last weekend and am pretty happy with the results. it sure sits higher! these are supposed to be 2" over stock, but factoring in the sag my old springs had, the back end is about 5" higher now than it was before. I put in some BJ spacers to even out the front but the truck still has a bit of rake to it.

the only hitch was, because of the extra leafs in the OMEs, the stock u-bolts *barely* fit on now. I had to attach them without the washers to get threads all the way through the nuts. anyone know where to get an extended set?

p.s. for what's it's worth I got these from Rocky Road and they were actually pretty friendly and helpful. They saved me a bunch in shipping by letting me do a will call pickup from the distributor, which is near me. the only bad was waiting 2 months for ARB to backorder the parts.
Autozone sells a set of 4 square top ubolts for 14.99 including hardware. They are redicilously long, measuring in at ~16", but they are threaded really high. I just cut the rest of the excess off with a cutting tool.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:47 PM

so all in all what is a good middle road lift ? hows trailmaster ? I heard rough countrys arent good so skyjacker . Also what do you do for the sag in the back of the runner mines 85 sr5 and sagged out bad in the back but the front is higher still . I have 33's and need to also go up in front so do you do a 4 inch lift all round . shoot all these options , its worse than the grocery store.