03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Where to mount fire extinguisher in 4th gen?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to mount fire extinguisher in 4th gen?

Any ideas? I used to keep it under the driver's seat in my XJ, but there is no room in the 4Runner. Its one of those Kidde kitchen type ABC extinguishers. I currently keep it in the back in one of the compartments. Not the quickest place to get to.

The problem for me is to mount it where it is visible and accessible, but doesn't take up any cargo space or hit anyone in the head. Or maybe just get one of those fire extinguisher stickers and stick it on the compartment?
Old 11-07-2007, 03:42 PM

I mounted mine on the door for the jack: http://toyota-4runner.org/attachment...&postid=134699
Old 11-07-2007, 06:37 PM

Hmmm... That looks like a good spot. My extinguisher is significantly larger than that, but I'll check it out. The weight doesn't misshape the compartment door?
Old 11-09-2007, 10:46 AM

That's where mine is, too.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:05 AM

hey just to let you know, the ABC fire extinguishers are hell on what ever you spray them on. I have a halon extinguisher, works awsome with no damage, and its not like the old halon that killed people. I'm deployed, sorry I can't remeber the name ofthe company that makes them.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:02 AM

Does the dry chem actually cause damage? Or is it just a terrible mess to clean up?

I'm a fireman, but we don't really use ABC extinguishers as SOP. But I do know the powder is a pain to clean up. A long time ago I had a small fire in the dashboard of my Grand Am, and I used an ABC to put it out. No problem, just took me like a week of vacuumming to get rid of it all.

I like to keep an extinguisher in my car not just for me, but just in case I happen to come across something. A little extinguisher can put out a lot of fire.

Is the name of the company Ansul? They make some interesting stuff.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:56 PM

dry chems do suck to clean up. done a few myself at the dealer I used to work at. had to pull entire dash apart to get all the stuff out. granted, the vehicle was directly underneith a gas station fire extinguisher system when it went off. not sure if it damaged anything ( I was the designated clean up guy, not the one who tore it apart. )
Old 11-12-2007, 01:34 PM

No problems with deforming the door. It's been like that for about 2 years now.

Off topic - I just realized that Mikestang's pic of his 4th gen looks significantly different than mine. Then I noticed the seat belts so I guess that's what the back of a 4runner with a 3rd row would look like
Old 11-12-2007, 01:40 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Good info here on them.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f153...ishers-124306/

I have the red one in the thread above.
It can not harm your interior or wiring like the dry chemical ones can.

I also carry a dry chemical one in case there is a non vehicle fire I need to attend too.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll just throw in my two cents with some advice that was given to me by an old timer who's been in a couple vehicle fires.

If you cannot reach the fire extinguisher from the driver seat, you'll never be quick enough to save your own vehicle.

Granted, you will be able to put out someone elses, but, I'd estimate that about 90% of fires occur while driving. That means, the fire will be good and big by the time you notice it. As you stop, the fire will get bigger, and you won't have time to run to the back, pop the rear, grab the extiguisher, and get back to the front.

Do what you want, but I figured I'd just add some food for thought.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:34 PM

Thanks for all the info and links! I just mounted it where Sharp4runr and Mikestang mounted theirs. It looks like it'll work, even though its a lot longer than the one pictured. I can still pull my tonneau cover closed and also remove my Husky liner. I guess if I really need to stuff my truck I can temporarily remove the extinguisher from the bracket.

I wish I could have put it under my 4Runner's front seat, where I had it in my Cherokee, but it won't fit. However, I tend to disagree with the statement about not being able to save your vehicle if you can't get to your extinguisher from the driver's seat. Speaking for myself, I know I can get to my extinguisher in time to knock down a fire in my own vehicle, be it under the hood, in the back, the dash, the brakes, the exhaust, etc.

Hopefully (knock on wood!) I'll never have a fire in my vehicle, but I have come across other people's cars on fire, not to mention barbecues gone mad and other fun stuff.

Also, if I'm going somewhere like on a camping trip, for instance, I'll take another extinguisher with me. These things are usually single use disposable units, and once you use it, that's it, even if there's product left in the can, all the pressure will leak out. So its always good to have at least two, so if there is a fire, you will still be prepared for another, without having to use your drinking water or handfuls of dirt and sand!