03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Traction control 2003 Gen4

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traction control 2003 Gen4

Has anyone figured out how to disable the traction control in a 03 4runner. As much as I love toyota they dropped the ball on this one.
Alan
Old 12-12-2003, 07:59 PM

Just lock the center Diff when you want to disable the VSC.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:07 PM

Alan,

If it is anything like my '01 you cant, at least without killing the ABS. The closest I have come is by disconnecting the MAF momentarily, which puts it into check engine mode, disabling the ABS and TRAC until the computer resets it self(or until you disconnect the battery, causing it to reset). I have found that it can take anywhere from a couple hours to a couple days for it to reset itself.
However crude, I suppose this method could be employed if the TRAC had to be disabled for whatever reason. For me it was fun to drive without TRAC at least once, able to kick up some dust...

Frustrated at first with the artificial intelligence behind it all, I eventually changed my driving style (I use all wheel drive once the rear starts slipping). TRAC is great off road, much better than open diffs...

Maybe someday one of these YotaTech geniuses will come up with somthing.

Dozer
Old 12-12-2003, 08:09 PM

VSC and TRACtion control are 2 different things
Old 12-12-2003, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member

There is no good reason to disable the TRAC system. VSC is a different story. I'm thinking you got mixed up as to what does what, Alan.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:31 PM

The reaon to disable the trac control is I was on a very steep snow covered incline and momentum was the name of the game as I came up this turn the VSC hit and slowed it down then I barelygot it going and the TRAC came in and slowed it down again if I could have just bombed up that hill it would have been no problem. That would of been the 2nd time I had to pull out my 4 runner. THe other thing about trac is that wheel spin cleans out the tires and digs in sometimes helping to get going TRAC does not know this.

I have tried adjusting my driving style and I an not compliant with the computer telling me how to drive.Another for instance I am coming into a icy turn at 35MPH?? the vehicle nose is pushing towards a ditch I turn the wheel and peg the throttle to pull the nose over but traction control kicks in and gives me no throttle no I am relying on the ABS to stop the truck and or hopefully let it turn before ditch. The Ditch won I think for someone who really knows how to drive in snow traction control is a lawsuit waiting to happen.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:47 PM

"The reaon to disable the trac control is I was on a very steep snow covered incline and momentum was the name of the game as I came up this turn the VSC hit and slowed it down then I barelygot it going and the TRAC came in and slowed it down again if I could have just bombed up that hill it would have been no problem. That would of been the 2nd time I had to pull out my 4 runner. THe other thing about trac is that wheel spin cleans out the tires and digs in sometimes helping to get going TRAC does not know this."

Did you have the center diff locked? That will minimize the sensitivity of the VSC.

I have heard of this scenario before. When it happens to me i'll trip the check engine light and see what happens...
Old 12-12-2003, 08:51 PM

or maybe pull the ABS relay. I don't know if anyone has tried that.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:27 PM

This would be really nice for the times I want to go through sand, on one simple hill near town, the Trac system will not allow me to climb it, just keeps putting the brakes on, I take my jeep to that hill (LS in the rear) climbes in no problem, even in hi and low range
Old 12-13-2003, 10:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your in snow or on ice, just hit the little 4x4 transfer looking button to the left of the wheel then you will see VSC off.

Traction COntrol is awesome in snow, scary but awesome, just put the pedal to the floor freakin truck is a monster he's just refined
Old 12-15-2003, 07:07 AM

Originally posted by Dozer
VSC and TRACtion control are 2 different things
My fault.. I thought he was talking about the VSC.. I don't even know what TRAC is then..
Old 12-15-2003, 07:10 AM

What is the difference between TRAC and VSC? When I lock my diff, I can do anything I want w/out loosing throttle. I don't know what you guys are talking about..
Old 12-15-2003, 02:09 PM

trac is traction control, keeps the wheels from spinning, mine has a mind of it's own, rear wheel drive cars benefit from it much more, put it on and you can't do burm outs

kaneman, I still got your PM but everytime I went to reply it did not go through, fustrating:pat:
Old 12-15-2003, 03:35 PM

Running in the snow with out the diff locked will lead to smoking rotors, if you really rip it up for awhile. The Trac control applies the brakes to keep the wheels from spinning, this is a rental car lesson learned.

I dont know much about the VCS, although it kicked in the other night and left me heading straight for a telephone pole when I was trying to turn left while sliding straight. Not a good feeling.

Can someone tell me more about the VCS, the madness behind it, when it kicks in or why.

All I knew was the buzzer went off then I was sliding straight, tried to gas it, but it didnt help.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:34 PM

When I was in the sand dunes, I locked the diff.

With that, I could do "burn outs" , slides, and all the stuff a normal 4x4 does.

To turn off VSC/TRAC, lock the diff. It's simple.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by EDGE
trac is traction control, keeps the wheels from spinning, mine has a mind of it's own, rear wheel drive cars benefit from it much more, put it on and you can't do burm outs

kaneman, I still got your PM but everytime I went to reply it did not go through, fustrating:pat:
I was wondering why you never replied to me. I will PM you my email address.. Thanks for the explanation..

Justin
Old 12-15-2003, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by FirstToy
When I was in the sand dunes, I locked the diff.

With that, I could do "burn outs" , slides, and all the stuff a normal 4x4 does.

To turn off VSC/TRAC, lock the diff. It's simple.
I don't have any problems with VSC or TRAC with my Diff locked either.. But I'm didn't know there was a difference between TRAC and VSC...
Old 12-15-2003, 06:11 PM

TRAC is always on, center diff locked or not. TRAC also works when you are coasting down hill and slide ( like the "downhill assist") It works great in low 4 creeping down loose rock or snowy trails.

VSC goes off when the computer thinks you are taking a corner too sharply, or skidding. It results from a combination of inputs from the steering wheel turn and wheel rotations (one side of the vehicle spinning faster than the other).

I have never been in a situation where I felt the TRAC (center diff locked) impeded my progress. I fact yesterday, Darren and I went sno runnin', blazing trail through knee to thigh deep snow on a really narrow trail. TRAC really impressed me.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by kaneman23
I was wondering why you never replied to me. I will PM you my email address.. Thanks for the explanation..

Justin
Yes, email is what I was looking for