03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Common amenities missing...ugh!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Common amenities missing...ugh!

Okay, where is that soapbox thing...here it is -->

I've had all kinds of vehicles, Ford, Chevy, Olds (GM), International, VW, Jeep, Chrysler, Toyota, etc and it amazes me that Toyota really missed the boat on a few simple to add, but big on the amenity scale.

So here are my biggest pet peeves about my '04 V8 LTD 4Runner.

1. Lack of interior lighting control. No dash switch to turn on rear seat or cargo lights? I think they are still using the original Henry Ford era three position switch lights. Get real! No one transports kids and has to look in the back or get something out of the back seat without getting out of the car?

2. Lack of delayed locking. Even my Chrysler minivan has delayed exit. You know, shut off vehicle, remove keys, get out of vehicle, hit lock on FOB, put keys in pocket, grab armload of cargo, tools, kids, etc and close door with butt or arm. Or get out, hit lock before all passengers close doors and put keys in pocket and then grab stuff, etc. The Toyota just "screams" BBBEEEEEEEPPPPP!!!!! and you have to hit unlock then lock after doors closed. This is on the "upgraded, high end alarm" on the LTD.

3. Auto rearm lock feature (defect?!). Hit unlock on FOB, put keys into pocket, grab stuff to put in vehicle, beep! put stuff on ground, get out keys, hit unlock again. PFFHHHT! I had dealership extend that time as long as possible, but no way to disable. I carry tools, or gear, or kids often so they all take time and all three hands :-) Also tell anyone NOT to trust the thing. NEVER leave the keys in the vehicle unless the window is down because it just locks whenever it feels like it

4. Drink spillers. The ones in the center front console are better for change and cellphone that anything over about 4" high. And forget about a tapered convenience store cup.

5. Wrist-twister on the inside of the back hatch. This loop is supposed to be how you reach it to close it, but you can't reasonably use it to pull closed quickly and expect it to close. Always have to grab outside and push closed. Okay unless you're wearing your suit to work and were driving in the dirty snowy roads on the way.

End of soapbox.

Well, that's it for now. Thought to myself, "Hey, other mfgrs have had these as basic items, just above base models, for years- why not Toyota in their top of the line model of the 4Runner?"

Anyone know any solutions for the above?

-DiskDoctr
Old 07-24-2006, 10:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DiskDoctr
1. Lack of interior lighting control. No dash switch to turn on rear seat or cargo lights? I think they are still using the original Henry Ford era three position switch lights. Get real! No one transports kids and has to look in the back or get something out of the back seat without getting out of the car?
Dunno of any Toyota that does this. I could be wrong but this would be a first for me. Then again I can't think of any import that does this. Again I could be wrong

2. Lack of delayed locking. Even my Chrysler minivan has delayed exit. You know, shut off vehicle, remove keys, get out of vehicle, hit lock on FOB, put keys in pocket, grab armload of cargo, tools, kids, etc and close door with butt or arm. Or get out, hit lock before all passengers close doors and put keys in pocket and then grab stuff, etc. The Toyota just "screams" BBBEEEEEEEPPPPP!!!!! and you have to hit unlock then lock after doors closed. This is on the "upgraded, high end alarm" on the LTD.
Again, this could be a programming issue w/ your fob. It's programmable by the stealer (free) so ask them. Again I could be wrong as this is not an issue for me.

3. Auto rearm lock feature (defect?!). Hit unlock on FOB, put keys into pocket, grab stuff to put in vehicle, beep! put stuff on ground, get out keys, hit unlock again. PFFHHHT! I had dealership extend that time as long as possible, but no way to disable. I carry tools, or gear, or kids often so they all take time and all three hands :-) Also tell anyone NOT to trust the thing. NEVER leave the keys in the vehicle unless the window is down because it just locks whenever it feels like it
I know what you're talking about but I was under the impression that once one of the doors are open the rearm is disabled. That's how my fob works.

4. Drink spillers. The ones in the center front console are better for change and cellphone that anything over about 4" high. And forget about a tapered convenience store cup.
You've got drink holder on the doors too if needed. Btw I've placed the big gulp from 7-11 and it help up nicely. Did you know that you can adjust the clask on the arms by adjusting them? That's something I found out by accident after the purchase.

5. Wrist-twister on the inside of the back hatch. This loop is supposed to be how you reach it to close it, but you can't reasonably use it to pull closed quickly and expect it to close. Always have to grab outside and push closed. Okay unless you're wearing your suit to work and were driving in the dirty snowy roads on the way.
Yeah this could be a pain.

My thoughts and opinion. It's not a minivan so don't expect the luxuries of a minivan in a true suv. That's just a fact of life. I know it sux but it sounds like you're asking for many of the minivan features in the 4runner. If you look at the previous 4runner generation you will be impressed at how many improvements the 4th gen has gained. I'm suspecting that over time the newer generation will incorporate more "family friendly" features. Sadly at that point the 4runner will no longer become a true suv.

Anyway, the 4runner is a great vehicle. I'm happy to hear that you've upgraded to the 4runner which is an awesome vehicle to have. In time you'll appreciate some of the qwerks and hopefully keep it for decades
Old 07-24-2006, 07:10 PM

Lance,

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried to have the rearm delay reprogrammed and it was extended to the longest time, but can't be disabled. This is from the dealer, not my words.

As for amenitites in SUV vs Minivan, I offer this for thought...

Many full size trucks have these features. Especially lighting and controls. the 4Runner doesn't even have foot area lights at all

Now don't tell me I'm the only one who carries tools and other things on the floor. Or has the occasional "cellphone launch" around the sharp turn

Being unable to light the cargo area without going to the back window seems poorly thought out, too.

It's like going back in time or *way* down in model line when reaching for the switches on the overhead lights.

Just my opinion, but this vehicle is marketed as a daily driver with offroad and hauling capabilities (ie leather seats), which is why I chose it. Just look at it, it's terrific looking and well crafted. I'm just as comfortable in my suit going to work as I am with my boots and chainsaw in the back.

Yeah, I guess my original post, comparing it to my wife's minivan, sounded like I wanted minivan stuff, but not the intention. My comparison was *supposed* to be "if my wife can have this stuff in her minivan, why can't I have it in my upscale 4runner?"

I've also had the features I mentioned in every vehicle I've had since 1990. Before that, I had some real rough vehicles.

Anyway, just my opinion, and yours is welcome and appreciated, too.

Now, if I could just get that supercharger for my '04 V8 LTD, my SUV could be a RACECAR, too :-)

-DiskDoctr
Old 07-25-2006, 02:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
:complain: :complain: :complain: :complain: :complain: :complain:

You could have bought a Dodge Durango, It has all these lovely features and room for eight.

Only differance is you would have had to replace the engine and tranny allready,
the door locks would have stopped working, some of the windows wouldnt work by now, and Countless other issues would have popped up by now.

So stop you complaining, Boo Hoo you can fit a super duper extra large Cola in the drink holder.

Last edited by 4Hummer; 07-25-2006 at 03:00 AM.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:41 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
As long as the rear window still slides up and down under its own power, I don't see what other problems you can have...
Old 07-25-2006, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by 4Hummer
:complain: :complain: :complain: :complain: :complain: :complain:

You could have bought a Dodge Durango, It has all these lovely features and room for eight.

Only differance is you would have had to replace the engine and tranny allready,
the door locks would have stopped working, some of the windows wouldnt work by now, and Countless other issues would have popped up by now.

So stop you complaining, Boo Hoo you can fit a super duper extra large Cola in the drink holder.

What's the use of 4 wheelin' if you have to settle for the 12oz beer or it will spill all over the place? Just kidding...

-DiskDoctr
Old 07-25-2006, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by RustBucket
As long as the rear window still slides up and down under its own power, I don't see what other problems you can have...
The rear window power open on the FOB is VERY nice. I have the two layer cargo area (not sure what they call it) and almost never have it raised. Everything jumps out the hatch when you open it, so I often put the window down first.

Also very nice for loading up against the hatch to fit more cargo.

Toyota gets a PLUS for that one!

-DiskDoctr
Old 08-05-2006, 07:46 PM

Yeah that rear window is great for letting out the hot air before you get into the truck. While I'm walking up to the 4Runner, I lower the rear window. Maybe I'm fooling myself into thinking this lets the hot air escape

Coworkers always ask me, "Dude, did you leave your window open?"
Old 08-05-2006, 09:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sharp4runr
Yeah that rear window is great for letting out the hot air before you get into the truck. While I'm walking up to the 4Runner, I lower the rear window. Maybe I'm fooling myself into thinking this lets the hot air escape

Coworkers always ask me, "Dude, did you leave your window open?"
Yes, it will let out some hot air, but not a lot. A sunroof helps with that quite a bit, since heat rises, and since it is most likely hotter in your car then outside, it will rise right out.

If you don't like those things about your 4Runner, then can I have it? The 4Runner was never made to be a luxury SUV, so obviously there will be some pain involved. If you don't like it, go with the massive Sequioa. I respect your opinions, so I am not trying to flame you, however, if you don't like your vehicle then don't keep it. Let the small things go by, and you will love your vehicle more so then you already do. EVERY vehicle has its faults, not just the 4Runner. EVERY car manufacturer doesn't put every single idea they can/do think of into a vehicle, because that is too much to put into one without causing a danger on the road.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:00 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

All Three of my First Gens have a cargo light switch within reach, as well as map lights, and dome lights.....Where's all your fancy smancy advanced technology got you NOW BUB?!!

:complain:

Old 08-21-2006, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmeh
Yes, it will let out some hot air, but not a lot. A sunroof helps with that quite a bit, since heat rises, and since it is most likely hotter in your car then outside, it will rise right out.

If you don't like those things about your 4Runner, then can I have it? The 4Runner was never made to be a luxury SUV, so obviously there will be some pain involved. If you don't like it, go with the massive Sequioa. I respect your opinions, so I am not trying to flame you, however, if you don't like your vehicle then don't keep it. Let the small things go by, and you will love your vehicle more so then you already do. EVERY vehicle has its faults, not just the 4Runner. EVERY car manufacturer doesn't put every single idea they can/do think of into a vehicle, because that is too much to put into one without causing a danger on the road.
I've been away a little while so this reply is late.

This is my first 4Runner. I never even considered it before, but the 4th gen seemed just right. So I guess you can say I am the target market for Toyota on this one :-)

And as much as I appreciate your input, you're NOT going to talk me out of my 4Runner!

The 4Runner is very good, but it does have some glaring ommisions in this market and I tried to point some out. I was sort of hoping for someone to chime in and say, "Joe Smith found a part from xyz corp that allows you to upgrade your dome lights....etc"

Isn't that what Modding is all about, finding a shortcoming or way to extend functionality and sharing it with others?

DeathCougar- That's sort of the point. Toyota hasn't updated this feature since the 12 volt battery was invented

I am used to having amenities in nice vehicles. The 4Runner put many of these into a very functional package. Now, if they could just get it all together...

And please, no more "don't complain or imply there is any room for improvement because it is perfect" posts. I appreciate that this is a big step up interior-wise from previous generations, but we do want Toyota to keep improving, right?

-DiskDoctr
Old 03-19-2010, 07:22 AM

I'm sure this will work, and I plan on doing it sometime soon. For a light switch for the dash, just wire up a switch tap into the door jam button. That way, you flip on your new switch and it turns on the lights. I'm sure there might be a bit more work to that with the wiring, but I still think it will be pretty simple
Old 03-19-2010, 07:55 AM

Interesting

Originally Posted by B4Runner
I'm sure this will work, and I plan on doing it sometime soon. For a light switch for the dash, just wire up a switch tap into the door jam button. That way, you flip on your new switch and it turns on the lights. I'm sure there might be a bit more work to that with the wiring, but I still think it will be pretty simple
B4Runner,

Brilliantly simple I hadn't thought about that. Is the door switch a standard analog switch, or is it some digital/computer operated thing?

IOW, would shorting across the leads (assuming there are just leads and not a data cable?) activate the lights, or short out an electronic component?

- DiskDoctor
Old 03-19-2010, 09:53 AM

B4Runner,

Brilliantly simple I hadn't thought about that. Is the door switch a standard analog switch, or is it some digital/computer operated thing?

IOW, would shorting across the leads (assuming there are just leads and not a data cable?) activate the lights, or short out an electronic component?

- DiskDoctor
I'm pretty sure it's just a standard analog switch. I mean, I don't know about your 2002, but my 1988 definately is. So I'm just going to use like a defroster on/off switch from a Toy car, put it in my dash bezel, tap into some hot wire, and then tap the other end into the driver or passanger door jam switch.