03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Chains for 07 Tacoma

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Chains for 07 Tacoma

Hi,
I live in snow country and after replacing my 93 xtra cab yota 4x4 with an 07 Tacoma 4x4 crew cab TRD discovered the problem of not being able to chain the front end. Toyota dealer is of no help , he says Toyota does not recommend chains. I remember getting chains with my 89 yota 4x4 when I bought it, well times have changed .
I have aggressive M&S tires but really need the front end active in snow driving. I usually like to run V-bars all around and am in disbelief that Toyota even designed the rig this way. What are you folks doing out there , any fixes or ideas?
I have a 64 j 40 but am miles from work and do not have the time in the day to drive it to work and back. This is a real disappointment and have not found any other threads on this subject in the searches.
Thanks for your reply!
Old 12-16-2008, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your 4WD doesn't do good in the snow? My '88 is a beast in the snow in 4x4 even with open front and rear diffs. If I take it out of 4x4 it becomes a bear to turn because of my wide tires. They won't dig in.

Rob
Old 12-16-2008, 05:32 PM

I am on snow and ice anywhere from 6 to 22 inches. My drive is 3 miles climbimg from 2000 ft to 3700 ft. This is a non maintenace road with outslope and no inboard ditch . No I do not own road other wise it would be different. Rubber just slip slides away. Studs ice over as do cables. Chains make a vast difference in these condition.Nights are in the teens and days are in the upper 30s so snow ices alot. In between you have to dig for dirt and gravel.
In all my past yotas I could ice walk and not worry( no dents and winch use as a tool not a neccesity).
i am in a quandry short of parking the truck and getting a older winter truck for the commute. What a waste!
Old 12-16-2008, 06:27 PM

Try Z-Chains, not really chains, they're cables, but I've run them up front on my Taco. Good for the ice, but not a lot of help in the real deep snow.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:28 PM

I am going to guess that clearance is the problem with putting chains on your Taco?

Cables are usually the way to go in low clearance situations. Super Z6's only need 1/4 inch clearance. I have a pair for the front where chains won't fit, and real chains for the rear.

If cables in the front are not an option then you may have to look at changing out tires for something skinnier that will allow chains all the way around.

I am running 285/75's so I did this to myself; but a pair of cables is cheaper then 4 new tires.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:04 AM

Thanks for the replies.
Even with stock oem tires on tacomas the chains will not fit. Cables is the best to try, so that is that.
One recommendation was to place in a 1.5 inch spacer on the hub to change the offset. tThis would require changing the lug studs, it would go between the wheel and the hub. Anyone tried this and did it cause damage or excessive wear to the front end? Thanks
Old 12-20-2008, 05:53 PM

Ordered the scc super z6 cable today. we will see how it holds up.It has 1/4 inches clearance required and so it will be a close fit. It was 8 this morning so lots of ice in that snow.
Thanks
Old 01-12-2009, 12:21 PM

I am also disappointed in the lack of ability to fit chains on the front of my 06 4Runner. I have a set of Thule XB16 chains (http://www.amazon.com/Thule-Quality-...793995&sr=8-10) for the rear.

I only got a set for the rear due to Toyota's recommendation for no chains on the front. However, I have changed the wheels to one with 4" backspacing (http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/4runn...lackalloys.htm), and have aftermarket UCAs. The chains easily fit the front now (in terms if suspension clearance inside the wheel). However, in my case, I still am worried that they could hit the body mount behind the front wheel well on full turn. I'll have to check clearances better. If they look like they'll fit over full steering/compression cycle, I'll order another set for the front. Being in TX I don't use them often, but used them a lot over Christmas in MI.

That probably doesn't help much, and I doubt I'd switch wheels and UCAs just to fit chains, but was lucky that I had done those things anyway.

P.S. There is a HUGE difference in traction with chains vs. just tires (siped MT/Rs- admittedly not snow tires). The nice thing about the type of chains I have (although not as aggressive as z-bars), is that you can put them on without moving. In one case, I got stuck while pulling out a neighbors plow (Chevy 1500). After digging and pushing didn't work, I put the chains on and crawled right out (and pulled him out).