03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

4th gen w/ XREAS and DayStar Lift

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4th gen w/ XREAS and DayStar Lift

We recently installed the new Daystar 2.5/1.75 spacer lift in my 03 Runner. Pictures on the way (still w/ stock rims and tires - but its a start). Only problem with install was broke front/passanger ABS line on. Did it without realizing it at first. You don't have to break the cover to snap the internal wires - learning the hard way.

More pics on the way.

Last edited by SEDONAZ; 02-19-2004 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:58 PM
Contributing Member

Btw, here are the pictures that SEDONAZ had problems posting

Enjoy

Last edited by Good Times; 02-20-2004 at 06:36 AM.
Old 02-20-2004, 05:50 AM

FirstToy

The lift has been grand so far. It really seems like a new truck out on the trail. The extra few inches go along way - I don't clinch my teeth everytime I drive over obsticals for one! You really notice the diff.

As far as the ride goes on the street, it is just as tight as before. The only exception is its slightly louder from the back of the vehicle. Other than that I'm very pleased.

I'm attempting to send another pic now.
Attached Thumbnails 4th gen w/ XREAS and DayStar Lift-side-view.jpg  
Old 02-20-2004, 06:26 AM

Good Times,

Excuse my computer illiteracy, but why don't your pics within the posts show up on my screen? Any ideas?
Old 02-20-2004, 06:37 AM
Contributing Member

fixed.... I'm not sure why it wasn't working so I just posted the pictures elsewhere.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:15 AM
Contributing Member

Nice '03 Have you taken it on the trails around town yet? Like Broken Arrow, Soldier's Pass, etc? I am in Prescott and get over to Sedona every once in awhile. If you ever want to do a quick run (or a long one for that matter), let me know.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:22 AM

oh man, I'm so jealous. Who installed yours, Daystar? Is the ride harsher on road?
Good pics man!
Old 02-20-2004, 11:33 AM
Contributing Member

That is a sweet lift. I left you a PM Sedonaz

Last edited by Biff; 02-20-2004 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:35 PM

Good Times, Thanks for the help posting those pics. I especially like the fact that its a picture of my truck, over the list of your mods! Just a dream right now!

Biff & FirstToy, Thanks for the props.

The ride is very nice, no real difference on the suspension except in the rear. It is a bit louder over bumps at high speed, like the cracks on the interstate. And, it is easy to over extend the rear shocks as we have to remain with the stock ones. We will have to find a shock extender. For now, not overdoing or just slowing down has avoided / limited this problem.

Also, I have been running with the stock 265-65-17's, so for the most part it is really the same ride. However, I just got back from dtc and successfully tried a new pair of shoes on - BFG T/A's, 285-70-17s. It will take a small amount of trimming but I should be back up there tommorrow to put them on for good. OD on these is 32.7" and gave a front fender meas. of 38 1/4". I like it.

Biff, Drop me your email or # and I would be happy to help out on the install any way I can.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:42 PM

Another question: What do you think of the Goodyear AT/S's? I know their not as aggressive as the BFG's but they are alot cheaper and they measure a 1/2" bigger in diameter.

BajaTaco, I 'm always game. When I get this 4th gen ready to step down Broken Arrow I'll be way stoked! The way these new 4runners come from the factory, I would have been lucky just getting to Broken Arrow.

Last edited by SEDONAZ; 02-20-2004 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:47 PM

That's interesting, I wonder why the rear is louder?....
Maybe a limiting strap for the rear shocks as a temporary solution so they don't over extend.

Are your brake lines ok or do they need to be extended too?

I bet those BFG's are going to look great. I know Lefty and Greenhorne both have them and they look great.

That does it, I'm definitely going with Daystar.

Did you get your ABS line fixed yet?

Thanks alot Sedonaz!
Old 02-20-2004, 08:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SEDONAZ
Another question: What do you think of the Goodyear AT/S's? I know their not as aggressive as the BFG's but they are alot cheaper and they measure a 1/2" bigger in diameter.

BajaTaco, I 'm always game. When I get this 4th gen ready to step down Broken Arrow I'll be way stoked! The way these new 4runners come from the factory, I would have been lucky just getting to Broken Arrow.

I went with the Goodyear AT/S at the time I thought it was a good idea, but now I regret the decision. I now know I should have gone with the BFG's. Do the BFG's they'll look awesome with the lift and more aggresive.

Last edited by Biff; 02-20-2004 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:16 PM

FirstToy,

It is a bit louder, but I don't think the rear shocks are overextending all the time - just in the 4x4 senarios. Extend the mounts and we are fine.

The brake lines have plenty of room. Just be carefull with the front abs sensors. There is a bracket for the ABS lines between the connection at the brake and the connection at the sensor. Just "gently" pull the line out of the bracket and your set - plenty of wiggle room.

And you guys are right on the BFG's. Its just man! they are expensive. Have you guys tried ordering them of the web, like at tirerack.com?

Also, check out Bajataco's web site: It rules! So many cool ideas. Bajataco we are definitley gonna make a run and I'll bring the kitchen sink!
Old 02-21-2004, 06:57 AM

For future searches, here is Lefty's Daystar lift-he was the prototype. Maybe all the Daystar lifts can be on this thread eventually
(265-70/17 BFG ATs, American Racing 0 offset wheels, no XREAS though)

Last edited by FirstToy; 02-21-2004 at 06:58 AM.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SEDONAZ
Also, check out Bajataco's web site: It rules! So many cool ideas. Bajataco we are definitley gonna make a run and I'll bring the kitchen sink!
LOL! Thanks! Yea, I would love to get out on the trail with a 4th gen. I haven't seen one in person, on the trail yet, and with you and others finally getting them lifted and modified, my curiosity is pretty well piqued. I am curious about your situation with the rear shocks - why is it that you cannot get a longer shock? I am assuming because of a special fitting at one end or the other?
Old 02-23-2004, 01:41 PM

BajaTaco,
All the shocks are connected so they are basically custom units. No one makes a longer xreas shock that I know of.

Hey your avatar still makes me laugh after that discussion about what you really look like! What did it end up as? Bald, Asian guy with glasses?

Sedonaz, did you get the BFG's yet? Pics!
Old 02-23-2004, 01:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FirstToy
BajaTaco,
All the shocks are connected so they are basically custom units. No one makes a longer xreas shock that I know of.

Hey your avatar still makes me laugh after that discussion about what you really look like! What did it end up as? Bald, Asian guy with glasses?

Sedonaz, did you get the BFG's yet? Pics!
Oh yea, I forgot about the XREAS stuff...

yea, bald asian park ranger I need to get a new avatar! And a new sig too.. no more BFG's...

SEDONAZ - I vote for the BFG's too - they are awesome tires. Yea, the prices do suck. Did you try Costco?

Last edited by BajaTaco; 02-23-2004 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:27 PM

FirstToy, Here are a few tire pics.
Attached Thumbnails 4th gen w/ XREAS and DayStar Lift-clearance-2.jpg  
Old 02-23-2004, 04:29 PM

I know this isn't the right way to post these pics, but I can't figure out how else to do it!
Attached Thumbnails 4th gen w/ XREAS and DayStar Lift-clearance.jpg  
Old 02-23-2004, 04:30 PM

Another....
Attached Thumbnails 4th gen w/ XREAS and DayStar Lift-front-shoot.jpg  

Quick Reply: 4th gen w/ XREAS and DayStar Lift