03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

4th gen w/ XREAS and DayStar Lift

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Just to help the rest of you out-

I have definitely maxed out my suspension setup thru manufactured and custom components. Sedonaz - you mentioned the control arm issue...call inland trucks, they have what you are looking for, Goodtimes and I are running the first two prototype sets...I have 315's(35's) on my runner and dont hit the arms at all anymore. Look to my thread titled 4th gen a-arms, 315's, add. lift, etc...something like that for some fairly recent pics.

All in all, I have 3.25" of lift in the front and about 4.5" in the rear. A caution I will mention to everyone lifting their 4th gens: Be very careful and take your time while working around the abs lines, and especially the wheel sensors. I snapped two lines and broke one sensor out of just plain rushing the project. As long as you disconnect the lines from their mounting brackets, you'll be fine, like someone mentioned above, you can break a line and not even know it cause it is all internal of the rubber tubing. You will only have to bleed the brakes if you break one of the lines or disconnect them for some reason...this was also something I broke, so just take your time and disconnect everything you can.

As far as the rear. Thru custom coils and spacers plus the revtek spacers, I have achieved almost 5" lift in the rear. My brake lines still have plenty of slack, so I dont think any of you will have problems in that department...if you plan to wheel a lot, it might be something to consider, but again, mine still have slack at full droop. One thing that must be corrected is the pan hard bar mount to the frame. My bar needs to be dropped about 3", I am working on a CAD drwg of a bracket right now...my whole axle is shifted to the passenger side about 1"...the new mount for the bar will cure this problem. With the 315's, I measure 39.25 from ground to fender in the front, and 41.5 in the back. I can guarantee you cannot go any higher without relocating / dropping the control arms. My ground clearance is currenty almost 15" at the front diff, soon to be down to 14 or less with the diff drop and new skid. Goodtimes(Lance) and Dr. Z, as well as Doug(02Runner) have been a ton of help to me, and they can probably give any of you an answer you are looking for. Though Dr. Z has a third gen, he is still very knowledgeable about overall vehicle function, fabrication, etc, etc...hit him up. That is truly just about everything I know. I had to yank my front sway to clear my tires, but that is fine as it was truly just limiting articulation, and rubbing the tires in full turn. I can now fully turn in both directions and just barely rub the frame in the last 5% of a full crank of the wheel, so it truly isnt an issue at all. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I hope this helps you all...sorry for the length.

Billy

Last edited by fourunnabilly; 02-24-2004 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:10 PM
Contributing Member

SEDONAZ - nice tires! Man, it looks REALLY good now! Congrats

Billy - good info. Nice ride
Old 03-02-2004, 10:24 PM
Contributing Member

Sedonaz,

Your rig looks great!

Have you been able to find a fix for the rear shocks?

Also a general question, if you lift 2.5" in the front shouldn't it be lifted the same in the back?

I'm really interested in lifting a little bit, the 4th Gen 4Runner's really need more ground clearance. I was just afaid that it would loose the sweet ride, low noise and pretty tight handling with the XREAS. Sounds like that is not a problem.

Anynody else with Daystar experiences on the 4th gen with XREAS?
Old 03-09-2004, 08:23 PM
Banned

bulldog -
I know I'm not Sedonaz, and he is for sure a great deal more knowledgeable than I, but I do know that the reason for different " lifts (different as far as the front being 2.5" and the back being less) is because in stock form, the front end sits a bit lower than the rear, so this way you can level it out by raising the front enough to be equal to the rear (after the rear, also, is lifted). Does that make sense? Probably not the best way to explain it, but, hopefully that helps a little, at least until Sedonaz gets back to you.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:03 AM
Contributing Member

4route,

Thank you, makes sense. What is the typical difference between the front and rear? I believe you are looking at a lift as well with XREAS, how many " are looking at? What was the cost for the kit?

Thanks
Old 03-10-2004, 01:17 PM

4route & bulldog

Yes the diff in the lift size is to level it out. I am comfortable with the way it ended. You do end up settling out a bit, but short of xtra trimming it rides nice.

If you want to talk to Daystar about purchasing the lift, contact them at tech@daystarweb.com. Dan is the man with the plan there. He can fill you in on the specs.

Adam.
Old 03-10-2004, 01:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SEDONAZ
4route & bulldog

Yes the diff in the lift size is to level it out. I am comfortable with the way it ended. You do end up settling out a bit, but short of xtra trimming it rides nice.

If you want to talk to Daystar about purchasing the lift, contact them at tech@daystarweb.com. Dan is the man with the plan there. He can fill you in on the specs.

Adam.

Hey Adam,

Did Dan, ever give you instructions on how to install the lift on a runner w/Xreas. My local lift shop won't do my lift until I get a set of instructions from Daystar. I really don't want to risk it by installing it myself.

Thanks
Old 03-10-2004, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Biff
Hey Adam,

Did Dan, ever give you instructions on how to install the lift on a runner w/Xreas. My local lift shop won't do my lift until I get a set of instructions from Daystar. I really don't want to risk it by installing it myself.

Thanks
We have a local lift shop in ALH?
Old 03-10-2004, 01:41 PM

Victor,

Check your email. I haven't got the pics as of yet. The ride continues to impress me. There was a little settling but nothing much. Let me know if I can help. Adam
Old 03-10-2004, 02:48 PM
Billf6531

SEDONAZ, if you have a set of installation instructions for the Daystar lift with an XREAS vehicle, I'd appreciate a set as well. bill.fischer@t8000.com

Last edited by Billf6531; 03-10-2004 at 02:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-10-2004, 04:35 PM
Contributing Member

Sedonaz,

Thank you for the answers, will get hold of the daystar guy. Did you end up making the shock extenders for the back?

CHeers

Andries
Old 03-10-2004, 04:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bulldog-yota
Sedonaz,

Thank you for the answers, will get hold of the daystar guy. Did you end up making the shock extenders for the back?

CHeers

Andries
Can not extend shocks on XREAS system. No Ifs and or buts. IF you do, then you won't have the xreas anymore.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Good Times
Can not extend shocks on XREAS system. No Ifs and or buts. IF you do, then you won't have the xreas anymore.
Let me refrase, entensions/brackets for the XREAS shocks in the back to allow a little more wheel travel down. So basically extension for the shock mountings

Last edited by bulldog-yota; 03-10-2004 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Good Times
We have a local lift shop in ALH?
Actually its in El Monte.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:15 PM

BullDog, Still working on it. The surf's been up here in AZ with spring runoff. We've been doing a lot more playing on the river than working on the truck.

We did poke around and talk about some ideas. I'll post them as soon as we have any luck.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:21 PM
Contributing Member

Hey guys, haven't been around much lately, but I did find some interesting info with ref. to the Daystar lift.

I had in my garage a Daystar lift for my 2002 Runner or my 95 Taco. I can't remember which, there was no date on the box. Anyway, the lift for the 2003 is EXACTLY (at least the top spacer) the same product that they were making for this earlier Yota model.

My point is, if you have a non XREAS truck you may be able to order the Tundra valved SAWs or King Coil Overs for the 02 Runner and install them on your 03 or 04.

I believe the only difference is in the mounting plate at the top of the strut assembly (wider bolt pattern for the 4th Gen). That could be swapped fairly easily though!

Has anyone else checked this out? I am real curious to know. I am aware of the fact that Toyota doesn't change much when they redesign, mostly just the body and plastics inside. (For example my 1978 Corona in Japan was almost exacty like my 95 Taco inside, switches and all).

I'll keep pluggin' away for the time being. Check it out in the meantime though.

BTW: The part #'s are different between the old and the new, but side by side, they are absolutely exact in their dimensions.

Lemme know what you think on these. I think I'd ditch the Xreas for SAW's

Doug M.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 02Runner
I had in my garage a Daystar lift for my 2002 Runner or my 95 Taco. I can't remember which, there was no date on the box. Anyway, the lift for the 2003 is EXACTLY (at least the top spacer) the same product that they were making for this earlier Yota model.

My point is, if you have a non XREAS truck you may be able to order the Tundra valved SAWs or King Coil Overs for the 02 Runner and install them on your 03 or 04.

I believe the only difference is in the mounting plate at the top of the strut assembly (wider bolt pattern for the 4th Gen). That could be swapped fairly easily though!

Has anyone else checked this out? I am real curious to know. I am aware of the fact that Toyota doesn't change much when they redesign, mostly just the body and plastics inside. (For example my 1978 Corona in Japan was almost exacty like my 95 Taco inside, switches and all).

I'll keep pluggin' away for the time being. Check it out in the meantime though.

BTW: The part #'s are different between the old and the new, but side by side, they are absolutely exact in their dimensions.

Doug M.
Doug:

The reason why the spacer is the same is because the actual coil size is the same. The big difference for the front is that there are a few more coil rings compared to the 3rd gen. I think the diameter itself was still the same though.

Thus you can install the spacer (the ones that goes inside the shock). The top plate is completely different. The bolt pattern is different as the 3 bolts are equal-distance and also bigger. The tundra pattern is offcentered and the width is smaller. The tacoma is just smaller in general. As for the King top plates, you can't use the stock top plate. For the SAW, I'm not sure. You can't use the Cornfed spacer though as it utilizes using their top plate replacing the stock top plate so that'll be a problem. Not sure how the revtek work but I think it's the same as the daystar so.... that should be the same.

The rear coils are the same like the front in that it has a few more coils rings. The diameter itself should be the same.

Toyota uses the same coil widths only because it's easier for them as they can recycle. The only difference ultimately is how many more coil rings they add and the strength of the coils itself. Outside of that everything is almost recycled They even recycled the shocks too btw... Everything is the same except they have the extensions for the front. I didn't bother to check the rear but I would suspect that it's also the same. The only difference in the rears are that they are located in a slightly different location and is easier to install/uninstall.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 02Runner
Hey guys, haven't been around much lately, but I did find some interesting info with ref. to the Daystar lift.

Doug M.

Doug,

I know this is a stupid question, and I should probably know the answer but I don't. What are SAWS, and what do they do?
Old 03-11-2004, 08:42 AM
Contributing Member

Victor:

There is no such thing as a dumb question

SAW = Sway A Way (www.swayaway.com). They make some great coilovers. The only problem is that if you get them, your xreas will go "bye bye".
Old 03-11-2004, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks Lance

Quick Reply: 4th gen w/ XREAS and DayStar Lift