03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

4th gen brake question, ABS pulsing...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4th gen brake question, ABS pulsing...

Is anyone else with a 2004 runner having a problem with their brakes pulsing (ABS feeling, but just 1 pump here and there) at random times?
I took it back to the dealer, who proceeded to tell me that it's normal. He said that he has heard a few 4th gen owners complaining of the same thing, so they took one in the garage for a few hours and came to the conclusion that it's NORMAL. My wife picked up the car so I would like some ammo before I call the guy. He told her something about the solenoid and how it's just regulating the braking energy...blah...blah...blah...she can't remember much about the conversation. Thanks for any input.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:24 PM
Contributing Member

:cry: Wah!!!!
whats up mane?
Let me drive it for a week and I'll tell you what it is.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:04 PM

gimme the keys to the beamer and you have a deal!
Yours never does this right?

Scott Pietro
Old 04-25-2005, 06:24 PM

can you be more specific? Is it actually locking up the brakes or are you just getting a vibration thru the brake pedal?

I think this topic came up a long time ago... might want to search about it. The 4Runner has Electronic Brake Force Distribution which might cause some pulsing sensation in the brake pedal I think... can't remember but it's in here somewhere.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:51 AM

It doesn't lock the brakes up at all, it just a quick vibration/pulse, but it's irregular. Feels like ABS but just once, and just once in a while. Some days I'll drive it and nothing will happen, other days I'll feel it often.
I did the search, found nothing and tried about 30 different keyword combos.

FirstToy, I actually had a question for you in particular. I read one of your posts on cleaning tips and I made the mistake of cleaning my instrument pod lens with a paper towel and scratched it up. It pissed me off to no end every time I look down at the gauges to the point where I will most likely order a new lens for like $18. You said that your g/f had some plastic cleaning stuff that got the scratches out. Could you give me more details so I can spare some time and $$. Thanks for the repsonse.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:07 AM

My 04 does the same thing with the brakes. Pretty annoying, but yes it is normal. You do get kind of used to it. Actually come to think of it it is the ONE thing i HATE about this car. If it didnt do that it would be perfect.

Theres a long thread about it here:
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showth...ht=brake+pedal
Old 04-26-2005, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

Have the same problem with my 03, had the stealer replaced the rotors and brake pads under warranty Problem is still there
Old 04-26-2005, 09:32 AM
Contributing Member

mine doesn't do it or I just dont notice it. The only times when I feel it is when I do an emergency stop (gets pretty regular on the Bay ARea Highways again these days), traction control kicks in or the VSC and EBD kicks in when going round corners on loose surafces. Mine doesn't seemt o do it random, but lots of people have experienced it.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by RinkRat
FirstToy, I actually had a question for you in particular. I read one of your posts on cleaning tips and I made the mistake of cleaning my instrument pod lens with a paper towel and scratched it up. It pissed me off to no end every time I look down at the gauges to the point where I will most likely order a new lens for like $18. You said that your g/f had some plastic cleaning stuff that got the scratches out. Could you give me more details so I can spare some time and $$. Thanks for the repsonse.
It will probably cost the same and take more time to polish it. You still wont be perfect as new, so I would just get a new one. I'm planning to do that, just isn't as big a deal to me at the moment.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:47 AM

The symptom you're having still isn't clear. Are you feeling a vibration in the brake pedal as if the ABS was working, but the brakes are not being applied ? Or are the brakes being applied at the same time ?

I'll attempt to describe to you the only noticable vibration I feel in the brake pedal. It usually occurs just after I start the truck. It feels like an electric motor is running (you can even hear it). I notice it in the brake pedal since that is what I normally step on before I start the vehicle. After approximately 5 - 10 seconds it stops, even though I may have already put the truck in gear. If this is the same vibration you are feeling, it is indeed normal. If I'm not mistaken, it is the Electronic Brake Force Distribution system pressurizing the brake lines (I knew what it was back in the good ole days when the truck was new, now it's a bit foggy...).

Hope that helped ! If not, describe the situation when you feel the vibration and maybe we can figure it out.

Steve
Old 04-26-2005, 05:46 PM

Grant, thanks for that link. Most of the people had the same issue and some of the people had a good explanation that sounds like the same story that my dealer was preaching.

FirstToy, I was thinking after I wrote it that for $18 it would be stupid not to just change it out. I was interested to learn a quick fix. After your response it seals the deal. I'll be ordering tonight!