Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Who said IFS flex sucks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe the WCOR kit has been gone for years.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:44 AM

The Downey kit seems to have decent flex if thats what your looking for.

Last edited by cadman; 11-10-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:27 AM

Yes the WCOR kit is no longer availabe. Very nice write up on Brian's site-

http://www.brian894x4.com/WCORIFSINSTALL.html

For the record he gave up on this kit and SAS'd.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The WCOR kit had issues with catastrophic failure.

Click the link above, his did the same thing. If the upper a-arm fails at highway speeds, it can get ugly.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:04 AM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
Originally Posted by drguitarum2005
i'm a co-op (kinda like an intern) at GE up there on 75 close to 275 north. i'm at school in atlanta right now but will be back in cincinnati this summer
My dad works for GE Aviation, had been there for 30 yrs, yeah thats cool bro I work about 10 minutes from you.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:28 AM

To me it all goes back to the breakage with IFS.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok... that fourdoor taco is sick... end of discussion
Old 11-29-2008, 05:22 AM

My IFS flex no front sway bar and 33x12.50s
Old 11-29-2008, 05:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The weight shifted onto one front wheel came from the one next to it. If that loaded one spring for 2" of compression, it unloaded the other for 2" of droop.

When you run out of one or the other (either because the spring was too stiff or you hit a limit stop, both are really limit stops) the truck will either lean or lift a tire depending on fore/aft weight transfer.

Therefore compression is equally as important as droop in slow speed situations.

Compression is more important in high speed prerunner type of situations.

I remember when that kit failed on Brian. He went SAS. He loved that kit while it worked though, it just wasn't an engineered solution so it suffered easily predictable (by an engineer) fatigue. You won't find that issue in a Total Chaos kit or similar. Brian wasn't doing a lot (if any) of desert type wheeling so the SAS was more for him.

Frank
Old 12-30-2008, 04:31 PM

well this debate is pointless to me...its like saying a street bike is better than a dirtbike!!! they are both good in their own respects!
Old 12-30-2008, 07:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
huh? with a SOLID Axle, ie that solid metal bar connecting both wheels together.. If you put pressure on the said bar.. it applies pressure to both NON independently. Thats why it's favored and used by many over IFS. Allowing a tire to 'drop' and make contact allows weight to be transfered to that tire by the compressed side of the vehicle. you push down on an axle from any point on the axle and both tires are contacting a surface, you're apply force to both contact points...

I have IFS, the instability is undeniable. You get into a situation where both front/rear are flexed out you find yourself in a teetering situation. Where as with solid axles allowing more "droop" allow the axles to settle and stabalize.

You lock all 4 wheels up, you can climb around all you want. but I prefer less body roll myself.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by tc
Droop travel is for posers who want to take "suspension travel" shots. Tell me - what good is the drooped wheel doing in either of those pictures? All the weight (and therefore all the traction) are supported on the opposite front tire and same side rear tire.

Compression travel is worth 5x what droop travel is ... people just don't want to put in the effort to get the compression travel without a sky high COG
this is when you put biased opinion aside and ask yourself. can an ifs rig make that obstacle without flipping?
Old 12-30-2008, 08:27 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by drew303
huh? with a SOLID Axle, ie that solid metal bar connecting both wheels together.. If you put pressure on the said bar.. it applies pressure to both NON independently. ... Allowing a tire to 'drop' and make contact allows weight to be transfered to that tire by the compressed side of the vehicle.

I have IFS, the instability is undeniable. You get into a situation where both front/rear are flexed out you find yourself in a teetering situation. Where as with solid axles allowing more "droop" allow the axles to settle and stabalize.
The leverage thing works great up to the limit of the cmpression travel. Once you hit the bumpstop, you stop applying downward leverage on the other wheel, and the only force you can apply is the ever-decreasing spring force. At some point (probably before you run out of droop travel), the spring rate is 0, and you are no longer gaining traction from that wheel because there is no normal force for the friction.

The biggest issue with IFS is just that it's DIFFERENT than the rear. THIS is what leads to instability, and why a SAS is necessary when you approach the limit. A stable vehicle requires balanced front/rear setups in both travel and spring rates.

There is no argument that if you want to 'wheel the hardest trails out there, you need a SFA. The argument is that 99% of the people on here aren't going to be running trails that hard and IFS will get them through no problem.

Originally Posted by 95RunnerSR5
this is when you put biased opinion aside and ask yourself. can an ifs rig make that obstacle without flipping?
Absolutely. Not necessarily on that line, but an IFS rig could definitely make that without flopping. NOTE: IFS and SFA lines are frequently different. That is not to say one is better than the other or harder/easier - different suspension designs require different lines just like track width and wheelbase will often require a tweak to the line.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by tc
There is no argument that if you want to 'wheel the hardest trails out there, you need a SFA. The argument is that 99% of the people on here aren't going to be running trails that hard and IFS will get them through no problem.
agreed
Old 12-30-2008, 09:33 PM

it just all comes down to what type of wheeling you're into... myself coming from the northeastern part of the country typically encouter more mud holes and trees than huge boulders, no matter what setup i'm running in the front, something is gonna be dragging... whereas most of the ppl on this forum and thread are of the rockcrawling crowd and a solid axle dominates in that, end of story... its just an incredibly biased argument (ifs vs sfa) of two or more different off road parties... this argument will go on forever but we all just gotta come to the conclusion that either ifs, sfa, or hell, no front axle, TOYOTAS KICK A$$!!!