86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Truck not starting, just clicking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck not starting, just clicking.

So I went camping, and my battery had died. The battery was no good anyhow and died a lot, so i replaced the battery with a new one. Then i still got the clicking sound, the battery has good charge i tested that with a volt meter. So then I started looking on the forums and found it may be the started relay, so I went ahead and replaced it. Well now i don't even get a click, and we've tried banging on the starter with a hammer to see if it was the connections, and still nothing. any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!
Old 09-30-2013, 11:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check your battery ground, make sure it is clean/secure. It's just off the negative wire. Also this might seem silly... but make sure you didn't hook it up backwards or forget to take the terminal caps off... I speak from experience when I tried changing my battery in the middle of the night...

If you jump the vehicle, does it start? Do you get anything different? Also, follow the entire wiring harness from the battery to the ignition coil, to the starter, to the spark plugs. Make sure everything's connected and not damaged.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:49 AM

Both negative and positive wires are practicly brand new, yet i did check it and it looks fine, and no both positive and negative are hooked up correctly, im going to start re-checking things. ill come back with results.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:17 PM

I've checked everything, everything checks out. Im getting extremely frustrated with this truck, its one thing after another. any other suggestions?
Old 09-30-2013, 02:23 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
pull the starter and have it checked out. I would check the fusible link that goes from the fuse box to the positive battery post.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:55 PM

I found a push button start, i got it hooked up and who knows she turned over. I had tooken the starter relay from my dads truck and i took all the interior out of it, and it ran then but what are the chances, it went bad. But thanks for the comments/help. Appreciate it!
Old 09-30-2013, 03:11 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Understand the System Before Taking it Apart.

I would check the fusible link that goes from the fuse box to the positive battery post.
Your headlights work? Your horn works? Wipers? radio?
If FL is bad, none of the the other electrical systems would work at all.

Originally Posted by bone collector
pull the starter and have it checked out.
Don't yet!
Understand the system and analyze it, take voltage checks before you blindly take things apart, or throw things, time and money on your problem. Taking it apart without understanding it may break more things than fix them.

Here's how cranking system is supposed to work. Look for what dos not do what it's supposed to do. then look there.

Takes a lot of work to remove a starter- waste of time IF it turns out to be NOT the problem.
Check if your starter solenoid is functional first
With This Tool

If it makes starter crank, look upstream of stater solenoid.
IF this makes starter solenoid thunk but starter does not crank OR groan struggling to turn, could be solenoid contact or connection of starter to battery.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:15 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Gamefreakgc
Check your battery ground, make sure it is clean/secure. It's just off the negative wire. Also this might seem silly... but make sure you didn't hook it up backwards or forget to take the terminal caps off... I speak from experience when I tried changing my battery in the middle of the night...
+1
(also try troubleshooting color-coded wiring on flight deck of rolling ship where you can only use red lights - LOL!)

If you jump the vehicle, does it start? Do you get anything different? Also, follow the entire wiring harness from the battery to the starter
+1. Yes inspect wires for breaks or corrosion.

to the ignition coil to the spark plugs. Make sure everything's connected and not damaged.
Nope. Nothing to do with cranking the starter.