Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tranfer case or Axles?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 06:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, you can unbolt the stock case on the older autos.

That is what the Inchworm deal relies on.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AH64ID
I think he said he was only worried about offroad performance, in which case xcase gears will be much better than diff gears... this way he can save for gears/lockers... which will run more than xcase gears anyhow...

Fixed... brain fart was all

You are right, i am only looking for offroad use. I welded the rear diff, i left the front open, my wheel base is only 83 inches, so i don not have room for dual xcases. It sounds like the auto t-case is a bear to mess with, so i may be looking at gears in the diff only.

Does anyone make a mini spool for the rear diff?? I don't need a locker will never see the street.

I think my IFS truck will take me any where i will ever want to go. The short wheel base really helps.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:44 AM

Looks like you got a lot of advice so far and I din't read everything so I apologize if I am repeating something someone already said.

Yes, obviously you got that you t-case only effects gearing when you're in 4wd and then in 2wd when you go to a dual setup (although not all 2wd so you can still drive on the road normally). But this does not effect gas mileage or top speed.

To be hauling 35s at any acceptable rate up some hills you need to switch out the gears in your differentials. Some people suggest going really far for this. I disagree. I've accepted that my truck will not be going 75 up hill with 35s on it so I geared down for a higher top speed and better gas mileage to 4.88 gears. I would not suggest going any higher than this because the higher the gear ratio the weaker the gears (unless you go chromolly). 5.29 gears will get torn up quick! Trust me on this. I already tore up my 4.88s.

If this is an off road truck only, I would suggest making the truck absolutely as light as possible (get rid of all the sheet metal, A/C, stereo, back seat, etc.) and go with a 4.10 gear if possible. They are pretty strong still. If you want to keep some weight and some luxuries, go 4.56 or 4.88. Try a calcualtor too to see how close you are getting to your original gas mileage and top speed.

Feel free to contact me and I'll give you some info.

--Megan
Old 01-16-2007, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Fish Taco
Looks like you got a lot of advice so far and I din't read everything so I apologize if I am repeating something someone already said.

Yes, obviously you got that you t-case only effects gearing when you're in 4wd and then in 2wd when you go to a dual setup (although not all 2wd so you can still drive on the road normally). But this does not effect gas mileage or top speed.

To be hauling 35s at any acceptable rate up some hills you need to switch out the gears in your differentials. Some people suggest going really far for this. I disagree. I've accepted that my truck will not be going 75 up hill with 35s on it so I geared down for a higher top speed and better gas mileage to 4.88 gears. I would not suggest going any higher than this because the higher the gear ratio the weaker the gears (unless you go chromolly). 5.29 gears will get torn up quick! Trust me on this. I already tore up my 4.88s.

If this is an off road truck only, I would suggest making the truck absolutely as light as possible (get rid of all the sheet metal, A/C, stereo, back seat, etc.) and go with a 4.10 gear if possible. They are pretty strong still. If you want to keep some weight and some luxuries, go 4.56 or 4.88. Try a calcualtor too to see how close you are getting to your original gas mileage and top speed.
Gotta get rid of the rubbish.

Chromoly gears?

You killed one set of 4.88's and now everything else is going to die too?

Why run 4.10's on a trail truck? The necessary premises are implicit and rely on the first part of your argument.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
Gotta get rid of the rubbish.

Chromoly gears?

You killed one set of 4.88's and now everything else is going to die too?

Why run 4.10's on a trail truck? The necessary premises are implicit and rely on the first part of your argument.
I have run deep gears before, and never had any troubles, but they have never been in a toyota, is there any truth to breaking the deeper gears??
Old 01-16-2007, 11:31 AM

Lower ratios have smaller pinions with fewer teeth. That is true.

I have killed one set of 5.29's in my 8" V-6 Toyota rear. That is true.

It had a shoddy wear pattern that likely lead to the break. That is true.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:31 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
No, you can unbolt the stock case on the older autos.

That is what the Inchworm deal relies on.
But i still think you are missing my point....on the MT trucks, you just undo the 6 or 8 bolts and the case slides right off. On the auto trans trucks, you have to remove more bolts, and gain access to the bolts inside the case, to release it from the tranny. It takes much more effort to remove an AT case, than it does a MT case.

Re-reading my post and yours, I think we are agreeing. Cuase, you can unbolt the case...i know that...it just takes more work, thats all.

Isn't the internet lovely? Even when we agree we disagree lol.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:42 AM
Banned

drop the auto and get a 5speed. huge difference.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:30 PM

let me get this right, the automatic tranny and manual tranny have different transfercases?
Old 02-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by yotaman85
let me get this right, the automatic tranny and manual tranny have different transfercases?
Sarcasm and 3 month old thread revival duly noted