Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Thought i had rod knock, bearings good, but maybe it's from bellhousing area?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thought i had rod knock, bearings good, but maybe it's from bellhousing area?

Hey all,
I thought I had rod knock on my 95 4runner. So I dropped the oil pan, replaced all the rod bearings, plastigaged them all to spec. Used assembly lube. Put it all back together, knock still there. It seems to be either coming from the bottom rear of the motor or the bellhousing area. Now I am stumped. If it isn't the rod bearings what else might it be? I removed the spark plug wires 1 by 1, knock still there each time. It seems independent of engine RPMs, and it will go away if I rev the motor, then slowly come back and get louder. Any ideas? Please help!

Thanks,
Mr Peepers
Old 03-26-2011, 03:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 03-26-2011, 03:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'm being sarcastic btw i had the same thing and well here's part of the result
Old 03-26-2011, 03:42 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Couldn't be a wrist pin, right? Guess if you pulled the plugs, ....not sure on that one, getting conflicting info on it. I've been trying to chase down a really mysterious tick. Looks like mine is due to the Rocker assembly being out of spec or the cam journal in the rear has too much play(replaced my machinists cruel joke of a cam grind on my oem cam with a 261 from Engnbldr), thus, it's throwing me off on the clearances/lash.
>
>
>
>
Oh forget it! lol.... jk. Sorry you're chasing a gremlin, ...I've been called the Gremlin Rancher, so I can relate. Have you tried reaching Tod or Ted at engnbldr? He's usually pretty good a pointing you in a proper direction.

Best wishes,

Mark
Old 03-26-2011, 03:55 PM

Is it an automatic? If so it could be a cracked pressure plate.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by 1badtoy
Is it an automatic? If so it could be a cracked pressure plate.

Interesting you say. A friend of mine told me to check the flex plate as he had seen them crack before. I took of the dust shield and I noticed one of the bolts was loose and teh lock washer was rattling around. I tightened it up and checked the others. I didn't see any cracks in the plate, but I couldn't see the center section. Once I put it back together it does sound slightly better. Now the noise is loudest at idle, goes up as I slowly accelerat, then at about 2250 RPM it goes away, and if I let it go back to idle it comes back slowly. If I rev it up quick past 2500 RPM it goes away instantly. And if I let it run for 2500 of several seconds it will take it 5-10 seconds to come back once I let it idle again. Man so frustrating.....
Old 03-27-2011, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by MrPeepers
Interesting you say. A friend of mine told me to check the flex plate as he had seen them crack before. I took of the dust shield and I noticed one of the bolts was loose and teh lock washer was rattling around. I tightened it up and checked the others. I didn't see any cracks in the plate, but I couldn't see the center section. Once I put it back together it does sound slightly better. Now the noise is loudest at idle, goes up as I slowly accelerat, then at about 2250 RPM it goes away, and if I let it go back to idle it comes back slowly. If I rev it up quick past 2500 RPM it goes away instantly. And if I let it run for 2500 of several seconds it will take it 5-10 seconds to come back once I let it idle again. Man so frustrating.....
The center section is where they crack, if one of those bolts had back out I would be willing to bet it is your issue...I would slide that trans back and take a good look
Old 03-28-2011, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by 1badtoy
The center section is where they crack, if one of those bolts had back out I would be willing to bet it is your issue...I would slide that trans back and take a good look
Yeah. I'm gonna give the wife the garage back for a week or so and try and check it next weekend. Dont want to be too far in the doghouse...
Old 03-28-2011, 07:20 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Sounds like a 5 spd we had that made such a noise and the flywheel bolts were loose and would rattle unless spinning at constant rpms.

:wabbit2: