86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Swap engine or just get rid of it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swap engine or just get rid of it?

I have a 94 Xtra cab 3.0 with 220,000 miles. I took it to a mechanic and was told it had 2 valves burned open and the leak down test indicated air leaking into 2 cylinders as well. I was advised to swap out the engine for one from Japan. I only use the truck for utility (going to the dump, lumber...)

It has been mostly sitting for 4 years and mice have gotten into the ventilation system. It really stinks when I drive it. Well, when I used to drive it (it doesn't really work anymore).

#1) Just get rid of it. What would it be worth?

#2) Swap out the engine.

I entered my info on a website and got a bunch of calls the next day with engine offers. All from very far away. $950 was one of the quotes. I live n Oregon. Is there a reputable place to get a used engine around here?

Thanks,

Rory
Old 04-03-2014, 02:31 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
cheapest option would be to go pick up a used engine either from a salvage yard or someone who's parting out a truck/4runner. swapping an engine from Japan will likely be one of the most expensive options. another option is to replace the 3.0 with a 3.4L from a newer tacoma/4runner. I would only suggest this if you were planning to keep the truck.

in regards to whether or not you should even swap out the engine is up to you. if the truck is being eaten by rodents, I dunno if I'd even bother with it at that point, depending on how badly they've gotten to things. If it's not bad, then sure keep it - but i've seen some really bad rodent damage to vehicles. Have you tried cleaning out the ducting for the ventilation? Are they eating other stuff like wiring?

For selling the truck, it's hard to say because we don't know the overall condition other than it's got a bad motor and has rodent damage -- neither of which are helping the selling price.

reputable place for engines in Oregon -- Oregon Engine Rebuilders. They have a decent reputation for Toyota rebuilt engines.

Good luck!