Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

A couple general questions about my truck.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple general questions about my truck.

Hello, I recently bought a 1989 Toyota Pickup, v6, automatic. Now there are a couple weird things I've noticed since I got her a few weeks ago.

Idles really loud/aggressively in park, but when I change when I put the truck in any other gear it changes to more normal sounds. Is this normal? Is there something easy-ish I can do to solve this?

Also, when I change the truck from park to whatever gear the truck jumps/nudges, I would assume this is not normal. A guy I talked to at a shop said its normal for old automatics, but I still cant see it being true.

When I turn the wheel while signalling left I hear a ticking from behind the steering wheel? And once it got stuck in some sort of position the truck made a loud buzzing sounds (Not one like when door it open), I just moved signal switch up and down then to off and it stopped, haven't had this since, but is there something that maybe causing this?

I don't know, I may sound like a total newbie asking all these questions that may be obvious to some of you guys. I am a do-it-myselfer but not the most experienced when it comes to these trucks!

On a different note, this is the second of this truck that I have owned, sold my last one because I left for film school, and now I'm done and purchased another because I loved it soo much. Point is, I think I am going to put my schooling to use, and start up a sort of truck modifying video series on YouTube (Sorta like Mighty Car Mods). I just wondering if anyone knows any mods worth doing to this truck (Basic stuff, not building a mudder/rock crawler here), I'm going to paint the truck sometime soonish, tint.

And does anyone know where to get decent fender flares relatively cheap? previous owner sanded down small rust hole and panted over it, I just want them to cover it up! Haha.

Thanks alot for any information you guys can supply me

-Clinton
Old 04-03-2014, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome from Alabama.
With the strange idle is that warmed up or cold?
The jumping when you shift into gear is normal, but it shouldn't be excessive. Foot in the brakes while shifting to drive the truck shouldn't move forward.
The sound when your turning while signaling, that's probably the blinker cut off.