86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

State of the 22R / 22RE

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by broncrider
dont take my comment wrong. I know what you were saying. im doing the same thing for my cummins. looking for another block to build so if or in my case when something goes boom your not stressed about finding another motor you hope runs..
Your comment was just fine. Talked to the guys at Putney's and Japan Engine, and both were exceptional. the "new" engines are Chinese block and heads, slight redesign from the original. Not sure how I feel about that.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What did they mean by slight redesign, the head or the block? Chinese metal too, eh? I think I'd want to know the alloy composition of the cast iron in the block before buying, to compare with the Japanese-made blocks. I wouldn't trust the head as far as I could throw it.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:14 PM

189K miles isn't too bad. If it runs well, just take care of it and you'll be fine for a while for sure. Throw some NGK plugs and wires in it and maybe change the fuel filter. On the other hand, if you really want to buy a back-up engine ahead of time these guys have a really good reputation on here and a lifetime warranty and are very reasonably priced:
http://oregonengines.net/
Old 03-06-2010, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Magnusian
What did they mean by slight redesign, the head or the block? Chinese metal too, eh? I think I'd want to know the alloy composition of the cast iron in the block before buying, to compare with the Japanese-made blocks. I wouldn't trust the head as far as I could throw it.

I think they thickened the head and or block in some places to prevent cracking. Alan at Japan Engines talked about this. The guy at Putney's says both the block and cam are too soft in these new engines and doesn't think they will last. Alan at Japn Engines argued that you are getting an even better engine than the original 22r / 22re because they are made using modern materials and technology. He claims a 0.5% return rate on these....
Old 03-18-2010, 05:02 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Just thought I would lurk into this thread...

I have an 86 22re with 230,000 on the clock. Doesnt burn oil, or run rough at all. Actually, it runs just as good as my 02 tacoma 3rzfe. The guy with the farva icon is right, that thing should be good for a while!

You have a rare find...an unmolested, factory toyota built, 22re. Now I'm not putting it on a pedestal or anything but if it aint broke dont fix it! Who knows what you are buying from those Jap import companies, I wouldnt waste my time with that stuff. Its very hard to run these things into the ground if you take care of them.

Even with a rebuilt engine....
a few thousandths shaved here, a few thousandths shaved there...who knows what your getting! If you do get a new engine, rebuild YOURS.

If you want speed, you shouldnt be driving an older Toyota. If you want durability, take care of that toyota and change the oil and fluids regularly!
Old 03-18-2010, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by PismoJoe
Just thought I would lurk into this thread...

I have an 86 22re with 230,000 on the clock. Doesnt burn oil, or run rough at all. Actually, it runs just as good as my 02 tacoma 3rzfe. The guy with the farva icon is right, that thing should be good for a while!

You have a rare find...an unmolested, factory toyota built, 22re. Now I'm not putting it on a pedestal or anything but if it aint broke dont fix it! Who knows what you are buying from those Jap import companies, I wouldnt waste my time with that stuff. Its very hard to run these things into the ground if you take care of them.

Even with a rebuilt engine....
a few thousandths shaved here, a few thousandths shaved there...who knows what your getting! If you do get a new engine, rebuild YOURS.

If you want speed, you shouldnt be driving an older Toyota. If you want durability, take care of that toyota and change the oil and fluids regularly!

Thanks, I've been eating my crow since I started this thread. It's a 22R, not RE, BTW. Gets great gas mileage, something I never had with a 22RE. Truck is sweet, picked it up in northern Colorado and drive it 900+ miles without a hitch. Just needs floor mats, some line-x in the bed (previous owner had a bed liner in it for all its life and a few spots of rust have started underneath) and window tint and it's about perfect, best of all BONE STOCK and CHERRY. Owner was really nice and he and his wife even treated me to dinner. The truck has a good home now, which I suspect is just the way he wanted it. Switched to full synthetic 15W/40, gave it a needed new air filter, fill it with premium fuel and all I'm gonna do is drive.

Scott
Old 03-19-2010, 04:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tried4x2signN
... instead of driving my point across and spending all day on this..., I'll just skip to the point.
... you've got a virgin bottom end... save yourself... [/B]

gee whiz...
Golly, gee, I thought this was an automotive forum... ok, bedtime, its 5am