86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

rearch springs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 02:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SwampThing
Just did this today. Used some slightly bigger coils off a CJ I believe (14" 250# 6"d), and it ended up givin me about 4" of lift. Only now I got some nasty vibration sound (probably from the driveshaft) that I caint figure out
Pinion angle and the u-joints are complaining. Also if the u-joints aren't it, then you need to check the pinion nut and/or the pinion bearing pre-load--the crush sleve can cause backed off pre-load and cause some vibs/noise when the pinion angle is chaged.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by CJM
I see, I dont think I have ever seen one around here or heard of one either.. But good to know. What kinda $ do they charge for such a task?
Just look in the phone book, usally they are a "brake and spring" shop or under spring. Also it should cost you no more than $50 for the pair, seeing that you pull them off and take them in--but they should see the truck first so they can see how much to re-ach them. I think it cost me somthing like $70 when i did mine, I just droped the truck off and had them do it. Stock springs should come out with good results, my Downey springs.....they lasted about a week and one quick 'wheeling trip. Downey springs are just to thin and they bring the suck.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok this thing is sweeeeet . it rides awesome drove around town today and it is smooth as silk. i'm gonna move em inboard soon though and weld up some mounts. also took off the top and painted up the bodywork i did. painted most of the truck actualy . found a couple of cans of factory yota blue paint at pep boys.
matches perfect
now i gotta herculine the interior , fix the wheel bearings and drive it like i stole it.

so far i replaced 95% of brake system. only have stock mc and drums
replaced all gas lines
lifted soggy bottom
replace seals-misc
rebuilt fuel sending unit
got airborn once- very wierd driveway
Old 04-21-2007, 06:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by 91ToyTrck
I really don't see how any one lift might be worse per say then another. I understand that they are going to be stiffer and make angles on the driveshaft a little more, but that's with any type of rear lift.

I still don't understand why you think that an AAL is a bad thing?!?!?
With Add-aLeaf spring, there are good ones and bad ones.

Bad ones are usually one short, thick, stiff and highly arched leaf. It can cause your existing springs to bend and kink where they contact the end of the stiff AAL spring since that leaf is too stiff.

Good AAL springs usually have more than one set of leaves, usually the leaves are longer and thinner, looking more like the existing leaves. With the more flexible leaf, the existing springs flex more normally and you avoid the kinking where the ends of the AAL springs contact them.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:04 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bear80
Just look in the phone book, usally they are a "brake and spring" shop or under spring. Also it should cost you no more than $50 for the pair, seeing that you pull them off and take them in--but they should see the truck first so they can see how much to re-ach them. I think it cost me somthing like $70 when i did mine, I just droped the truck off and had them do it. Stock springs should come out with good results, my Downey springs.....they lasted about a week and one quick 'wheeling trip. Downey springs are just to thin and they bring the suck.
Cool, I may do this when I get the deaver AAL pack..
Old 04-22-2007, 07:22 PM

Yeah I ended up buyin some 10.8" tall 6" inner-diameter 148# coils from oreilly's for $52 for the pair. Those 14"/6"/250# jeep coils were just WAY too big and stiff. Hopefully these will just level it out a little, and smooth out the ride instead of jackin up the rear a good 4-5"...
Old 04-22-2007, 08:05 PM
Nic

Originally Posted by SwampThing
Yeah I ended up buyin some 10.8" tall 6" inner-diameter 148# coils from oreilly's for $52 for the pair. Those 14"/6"/250# jeep coils were just WAY too big and stiff. Hopefully these will just level it out a little, and smooth out the ride instead of jackin up the rear a good 4-5"...
Yeah, that's about the size spring I may try. I'm really not looking for a lift. I just want the improved ride quality. I figure a spring with those specs will take just enough weight off the overload leaf to do the trick. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:32 PM

Yeah, I figure at max I'll get maybe an 1-1.5". Cause I tried the ass in the air approch and it really wasn't me. Level or an inch or two would be great. I'll take some pics once I they get in (had to order from a catalog cause they aint carry those in the shop).
Old 04-22-2007, 08:37 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Crawler
With Add-aLeaf spring, there are good ones and bad ones.

Bad ones are usually one short, thick, stiff and highly arched leaf. It can cause your existing springs to bend and kink where they contact the end of the stiff AAL spring since that leaf is too stiff.

Good AAL springs usually have more than one set of leaves, usually the leaves are longer and thinner, looking more like the existing leaves. With the more flexible leaf, the existing springs flex more normally and you avoid the kinking where the ends of the AAL springs contact them.
Maybe you can explain this a little more to me....if you wouldn't mind. Around...mmm...maybe 6yrs. ago (I'd have to dig in my receipt drawer) I had brand new AAL's put in. The long kind. They are now flat as a fookin' pancake. In fact, workin' their way on the negative. Yeah, I do haul weight. But, shouldn't these things last longer? What is the difference? I have heard people say they were pleased...atleast more than me. But, I'm not the only one who was displeased. What's more, I have heard from a fellow (he's not the only, either) that had a 4x4 shop for years tell me how much rearching springs was a waste of money in the long run. The metal, once fatigued, just isn't going to hold an arch anymore like it did, and rearching them just won't last long. What's your opinion, etc.?
Old 04-22-2007, 08:46 PM

Anyway, I'm glad to see everyone gettin' movin' on the suspension/lift thing. I just ordered a set of TJ rear coils today for $25. Right within my budget, too. I still have to get some bushings for the leafs...mo' money, mo' money. 'Bout down to metal and bolts, though.

4by, what do you mean by moving them inboard?

And everyone, pos' sum damn pics!!...when you're done, of course.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:20 PM

Well I took some with my cell phone, but caint figure out how to get the dog gone things off er! Some are pretty cool pics, like when I hadn't put the rear leaf shackles and shocks back on yet, and the ass end stood up a good 1.5 feet or so more than the front. I'm bout 5'9" and the bottom of the bed was a hair above my head (no pun intended). Looked wicked. Had the strongest urge to weld those coils in, cut off the rear of the leaf packs and weld the ubolts to the center of leaf pack just to make sure they aint goin no where, say screw the shocks, and cruise around with the back end all jack way the heck up. But then I figured I'd snap my driveshaft, and I really didn't wanna fab up a make-do-for-right-now-under-20mph shaft outta the square tubing I was staring at pretty hard...
Old 04-22-2007, 09:28 PM

LOL...crazy man. You know that thread on 4x4 wire? They were talking about doing that. Cutting the back portion of the leaf pack off and throwing on a panhard. They would keep the shocks, though. Or, is that where you got the idea'r from?
Old 04-22-2007, 09:35 PM

Nah just a crazy idea. No idea what a panhard even is. I come from the world of "F*** IT, LETS DO IT!" then redneck-ize it till it works. And "works" is a relative term. And redneck-ize-ing isn't the easiest thing in the world. Usually involves alot of head scratchin, beer drinkin, and sayin "Screw it. Just weld the *****".

Have get the pictures off my phone of the 4wheeler turned into a dirtbike, and the malibu stripped down frame chopped to 62" wheelbase and tube bodied startin to look like gravedigger project we got goin on...
Old 04-22-2007, 09:59 PM

Panhard...
http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/...on/panhard.htm

Now, how does a 4wheeler turn dirt bike? I won't even ask why. There can't be any logical explaination for that...lol! And a malibu tube buggy? (shakes head in wonderment..hehe) What creative rednecks won't do! Especially when from Texas! Well, it ain't much different from some of things I've done. My motto is use whatcha got....and damn the torpedoes. (That has gotten me into trouble, though...ewww. She wanted to kill me.)
Old 04-22-2007, 10:16 PM

Ahh... That thing. Always called it the rear swaybar thingamajigger.

Hahaha yeah I can see where that phrase would get ya in some heat with the womenfolk. I guess mine just got used to me testin the ripeness, playin on the drums, inspectin the dual airbags, and such.

And well, you ever hear that voice that says "If you build it, they will come"? Think everybody hears that many times a day round bout these parts. I'll NEVER forget the squirrel launcher. They came all right. But they left faster...
Old 04-22-2007, 10:30 PM

You and squirrels...hehe!

You might be a redneck if I say "damn the torpedoes" and you get all sexual with it... . What I meant was, some of the "redneck" type things I've done, considering my motto, has gotten me into trouble. I gaurantee you I'd have been decapitated long ago if I tried to pull any of those antics on my lady. She wouldn't even let me entertain the idea. (Not that I do, anyway)

Now, back to the safe topics.... trucks....lol!
Old 04-22-2007, 10:34 PM

I guess redneck women are just alot more understandin of our... Weirdness?

Haha anyhoo, back on topic. Just how badly would you need a panhard if you cut off the back of the leafs? I mean shouldnt the coils and leafs hold it if they're tacked on there?
Old 04-22-2007, 10:49 PM

Yeah, redneck women are a different breed..hehe. Believe me, I've known a few. I grew up in the south....Tennessee, to be exact.

Panhard? From my understand you'd be like a that cowgirl ridin' the bull....ars end all over the place. It's just not as stable suspended on coils....you'll float around. With leaf springs, you're already stabilized at four rigid points.