Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pizza Cutters...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 05:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AxleIke
Your truck drove the rubicon trail, and still looks like that? Either you are an amazing driver or lying. I'm also impressed that you payed to have it shipped to California from Belize.

I find your argument on performance somewhat ineffective. I've run both skinny and fat. I wheel terrain ranging from fast sandy washes to full on rock trails, and everything in between with the exception of mud, routinely. I have wheeled in mud, and do not care for it. Fat tires break parts quick. Skinny tires do not.

Skinny tires are affective on ALL trails for early toyota IFS. Both TC and I have proved it over and over again.

Holes and cracks are totally irrelevant. I have two lockers and a buttload of gearing, and more armor than I know what to do with. Holes have never stopped me. What has is break over and departure, both of which would be solved by a taller tire, but they don't make tires narrow enough to fit without rubbing in a taller size.

I'll also point this out: Until you are driving a full on rock racing tube chassis buggy, tires are totally irrelevant. Unless you have 4 feet of travel, a big motor and 4 thousand dollar axles, your tires won't be the things holding you up. Unless they are breaking your parts, which again, I point out, is what we are talking about.

I agree that the look isn't for everyone, and the OP is asking for peoples opinions on how they look. But perhaps you could refrain from insulting people and simply say: "I'm not a fan of them. I think a fat tire looks better on these trucks. Here's my truck, and how I like it."

And since you insulted me and my truck, why shouldn't I be sensitive about it?

First off, sorry if i hurt any ones feelings, secondly, i did run the Rubicon trail with no damage but since i DROVE down from Canada i was able to experince the trail by taking a few days off from traveling to do the once in a lifetime Rubicon Trail.

And i want you to take back that pot holes are irrelevant, because until you LIVE AND DRIVE down here to get to where i live of Consejo Road, you can not in anyway know what i am talking about. other than that, i'm sorry for saying the wrong things on this thread. Please forgive me
Old 01-27-2008, 05:47 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by b.miller123
Please, for the sake of OUR eyes, get rid of the crappy eBay blue headlights, the hood ornament and the '80s style visor thingy, oh and paint your skid-plate black again, all that stuff is just plain wrong!!! and your sig makes my eyes hurt everytime I read one of your posts and stop parking next to Fords!!! your powersteering pump will start squealing in some sort of automotive mating call

^^^ Oh, and that's a joke, not an insult .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..............................................seri ously, it's a joke

those headlights are not eBay crap, those are the only clear non sealed beam headlights i was able to aquire down here for the H4 bulbs. As for the sun visor, it reduces the amount of sunlight that is in the cab due to the fact that i am VERY near the equater, live here for 1 year in a dark coloured vehicle and THEN you can tell me to take it off. The hood thingy, tell Toyota to stop putting them on the Land Cruisers then and mine came off due to MANY POT HOLES in the road. The skid plate has to be sanded first, the i will repaint it, but first i have to take time away from the B&B building site to do so. As for my Sig., love it or hate it, i don't really care. And i can't stop parking next to the Ford until we sell it because we only have this one parking lot until the B&B is completed. It might be a joke to us but DON'T insult my TRUCK, my tires, fine insult those, not my Truck.
Sarcasim is noticeable even online

And just so you know, that ford has over 400,000kms with the original 7.3L International Diesel motor.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:52 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tc
The looks argument is too subjective - IMHO, the tires even with the body lines looks best. Having them stick out (much at all) just makes me think "rollerskate".

All the arguments about wider tires having increased performance offroad (in any condition other than soft sand and some kinds of mud) are bogus.

Belize - how about hitting that berm just the same, then turning the wheels to prove there's no rubbing. Because I'm willing to bet there is ...
I'll take that bet. No rubbing and no mods to make them fit. and my wide tires have done me WONDERS in mud. i could crawl through THICK mud in 2WD where people with skinner tires would get stuck on a daily basis. Belive it or not, things come more noticable here in Belize when you have to drive through it EVERY day just to get to town then home. I know i should take my own advise, don't judge till you have tried it your self. But i'm only 19, i got many a year to learn.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 1990Runner
1) what are you taking your truck on the track for?
2) its the way that you word things that could come off as offensive
3) and tire placement is the best way not to drive into "mile deep pot holes" and all the cracks.
4) bigger tires are heavier witch is more unsprung weight witch will break stuff.
i take it on the track to prove that is no 3.slow

i firgured that out now

YOU LIVE DOWN HERE AND TELL ME THAT AGAIN. you cannot miss EVERY SINGLE HOLE! Consejo road is so bad unless you crawl or go over 60mph, you miss big bumps, you hit lots of little ones and vise versa miss the small hit the big.

My bigger tires have done just fine so far and things break anyway, is it proven that if you DON'T drive like a fool, that things still break? not every one drives the same. i learnt from my Grandfather who used to drive Rally cars over in the UK. And he was obviously taught to try and NOT break things
Old 01-27-2008, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Belize Off Road Team
First off, sorry if i hurt any ones feelings, secondly, i did run the Rubicon trail with no damage but since i DROVE down from Canada i was able to experince the trail by taking a few days off from traveling to do the once in a lifetime Rubicon Trail.

And i want you to take back that pot holes are irrelevant, because until you LIVE AND DRIVE down here to get to where i live of Consejo Road, you can not in anyway know what i am talking about. other than that, i'm sorry for saying the wrong things on this thread. Please forgive me
Well, since you drove the Con, I am impressed, and my hat is off to you for doing it damage free. You clearly are a great driver. However, I still stand by my statement that the tires had nothing to do with it, and I'd be willing to put 50 dollars says skinny tires do the same as fat tires on any trail, excepting mud trails.

Secondly, I have no idea why you are getting all upity about pot holes. I said absolutely nothing about them brah. You said, and I quote, "for Hard core all day off roaders i guess a skinny tire is better (not sure how as they would fall in holes and cracks more than wider tires would.) and show me a disadvantage to wide tires"

I said that holes and cracks were irrelevant. 2 extra inches of tire means nothing on the trails I run.

Not sure why you feel I need to go to belieze and drive down some road. I agree with you that fat tires are great for on road looks and performance. My truck was much smoother on the hwy with the 12.50 tires.

Finally, you ask someone to show you the dissadvantage to wide tires. Here it is: When this starts happening to you EVERY weekend, you start caring a whole lot less about the looks and a whole lot more about the performance.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like Adrian's truck needs to pee...
Old 01-27-2008, 07:56 AM
Contributing Member

Yup!!! My thoughts exactly!!
Old 01-27-2008, 08:04 AM

Axleike
What did you do to your rig?
Looks to me like you lost your cv's and steering linkage....
Old 01-27-2008, 11:15 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's not AxleIke's rig .. it's Flygtenstein's before the SAS.

CV's are OK. Catastrophic steering failure - IMHO, due to 'wheeling HARD trails with big tires and bad steering component angles required to run the big tires.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:16 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Belize Off Road Team
I'll take that bet. No rubbing and no mods to make them fit.
Then simply post up the pix showing the suspension at full stuff and wheels turned and that there is still room between the tire and fender.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Contributing Member

tc, ok i will, but now you gotta wait till i can get to the trails again which won't be for a few weeks because i have to go house watch while the owner returns to the states.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by nate V
Axleike
What did you do to your rig?
Looks to me like you lost your cv's and steering linkage....
As said, not my rig.

Its a buddy's.

However, I've been in that same situation on the trail. There is also a picture, (except I can no longer find Molly's pictures anywhere) of me on the same obstacle with skinny tires and no problem.

"BORT" asked to show him the disadvantages of fat tires, so I did.

Essentially, it seems that both of us were right. Big fat tires are great for looking cool, and on road driving, especially when driving down roads in Belize where there are huge pot holes.

Skinny tires are better for offroad.

See how nice it is when we all get along
Old 01-27-2008, 04:47 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Most of Molly's pix are at www.cottora.shutterfly.com/action - which trail is that from?
Old 01-27-2008, 05:34 PM
Contributing Member

Here it is.

You smashed your fender there Troy. Not as bad as NM, but still...
Old 01-27-2008, 06:51 PM

The 7" rim, IMO, would be perfect. I run an 8" rim, and cannot drop below 15psi on the trail, or the bead rolls off. I need to get a narrower rim, but, since I usually destroy a set of wheels once a year or so, I'm holding on to these for as long as I can.

the 6" would be even better for airing down, but the tires may have a sort of "pinched" look.

But yes, you'll be fine with the 7" rim.

Thanks for the post as you just don't see a lot of pictures or hear about guys running the narrower tires.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:10 PM

Doesn't having tall skinny tires on 15" wheels make cornering a bit unstable? I mean, I assume that no one corners very fast in a lifted truck/suv anyway, but man, those skinny tires would bend/flex too much for my liking... I like them fat .
Old 01-27-2008, 08:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rdang
Doesn't having tall skinny tires on 15" wheels make cornering a bit unstable? I mean, I assume that no one corners very fast in a lifted truck/suv anyway, but man, those skinny tires would bend/flex too much for my liking... I like them fat .
I'm not sure that a skinnier tire would be any worse (with sidewall flex) than a wide one, as the sidewalls would be the same height, maybe if they had a different ply rating or something?

I would assume that on the same 15inch rim, a 33x12.50 would flex more than a 31x10.50 or 9.50 even though they are skinnier they have an inch less sidewall so less flex, now a wider tire is going to have a greater contact patch, so it will grip better on dry pavement, but it will also hydroplane easier and cause problem like mentioned above,

anyways, you said you like 'em fat
Old 01-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by b.miller123
I'm not sure that a skinnier tire would be any worse (with sidewall flex) than a wide one, as the sidewalls would be the same height, maybe if they had a different ply rating or something?

I would assume that on the same 15inch rim, a 33x12.50 would flex more than a 31x10.50 or 9.50 even though they are skinnier they have an inch less sidewall so less flex, now a wider tire is going to have a greater contact patch, so it will grip better on dry pavement, but it will also hydroplane easier and cause problem like mentioned above,

anyways, you said you like 'em fat
well, my tires are a 33x950. So, same sidewall as a 12.50.

Cornering isn't an issue. They corner better than my 12.50's, because they aren't so resistive to direction change.

The downside I notice is, as BORT pointed out, the fatter contact patch gives a smoother ride over bumps. I did find that my ride suffered some with the narrower tires. But not much.

Now, TC's 34x9.50 TSL's had ZERO sidewall flex. In fact, even aired down, they had no sidewall flex. LOL. Well, some, but it was pretty ridiculous. LOL.

Last edited by AxleIke; 01-27-2008 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:35 PM

Belize, i to like the look of a 33x11.5 with no lift, but unfortunately we cant get those awesome jungle tires(simex? centipedes?) in that size.

my 33x10.5's do ok on everything ive thrown at em that i could expect from a tire,(only been able to air down to around 13 w/o losing a bead driving in a dirt lot, nvr gone below 16 on the trail(hoping i dont lose the bead)

as you can see in these weak poser flex shots, i barely tuck the tires with 8'' wide rims, 4" bs. if my tires were any wider id rub.

even going to these tires has been hell on my stock steering...just the 4 or 5 times ive been wheeling since ive had these tires, its wreaked havoc on my steering. im just hoping my ifs is gonna keep up for the next couple months till the end of summer when i can sas.

all in all it comes down to terrain being wheeled/level of trails/truck. if you have enough lift/ strengthened steering components, go for the biggest tire you think you can fit safely, more power to you. All i know is that my manual steering probably hates me about now, and cant wait for a rebuild with power steering this summer.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:49 PM

Here it is.

You smashed your fender there Troy. Not as bad as NM, but still...
wow that looks so hard

i think everyone here needs a big

go post on pirate forums that skinny tires are better period... hahaha

for this kind of wheeling.. you NEED big fat tires. not just tall, FAT...

this is my old rig on 36x12.50s

and heres going through a small avalanche over the road

so you think youre so smart.. keep your panties on

no way a 36x950 could go through that.. sorry

another snow trip, 35x1250

Quick Reply: Pizza Cutters...