Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pick up my first 4Runner late this afternoon

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 04:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That has got to be the best looking 1000$ rig I've ever seen. Man I have to admit that I hate red rigs but that thing polished out so well that I may have to rethink my evaluation. Jesus I wish my blue one could look that good!

Well done!!!!
Old 08-20-2009, 04:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
She is looking good...

I don't know if the cars used different filters or not...
Was the last pict of the sensor that you were talking about??? If so I'd gather to say it is a ground. If that's not the sensor pict can you post it?
Old 08-20-2009, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is a pic "updated" with the wonderful red arrows showing the location of the sensor (and the wiring running to it). I'm thinking this is for the oil pressure light ( which would need to be changed for a dash upgrade ) but getting to it ( IF this is the right location ) DOES NOT LOOK FUN!

Old 08-20-2009, 05:13 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Ahhhh I see now...Could be Oil Pressure. I'd look at mine but its raining quite hard and I don't have a garage as of yet...I'll check tomorrow sometime.

I don't like the look of the mount though...
Old 08-23-2009, 05:56 PM

OK.. so the fun continues... MODS please let me know if I should post this as is or not..
so today after a cleaning up the interior no cranky again.... so based on suggestions of earlier I removed the starter for a clean-up of "the contacts". Unfortunately, I have not done any repairs on starters in quite some time.... here is what I found for a starter...

This just didn't look right or make me feel any better about my non-starting 4Runner or what might be inside the starter....

Here's a look at where it came from....

Not too bad... no real visible scaring to give me the idea that the damage to the starter was done by this engine...
Old 08-23-2009, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
wth?

who's been grinding on the starter???

lol

good job on the buffing by the way

oh and that oil pressure sensor that's located inside the motor mount; on most pickup and 4runner applications, that hole is pluggged off and the sensor is here, just back from that hole and right under the oil filter:

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 08-23-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:15 PM

to continue.... not remembering well what to tear apart first I went for the "top" portion. I was fairly certain that this was the location of the brushes. The problem was I realized that I had no electrical cleaner... OK so here you go I cleaned the the entire deal with throttle body cleaner... OK sit back down.. nothing exploded... not that I wasn't worried but heck.. everything was geasy and oily like crazy...so I cleaned the sheout out of it all... as best I could...let it completely dry before re-installing and then the booger fired right up...
Old 08-23-2009, 06:22 PM

SB Thanks!...well here is what is in that spot on mine....

and here is the lastest... OK what should be plugged in here... I'm assuming to make me feel better that the one missing is for the A/C compressor....

and here is another shot of where my sensor is located... for now...
Old 08-23-2009, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by GA864RUN
SB Thanks!...well here is what is in that spot on mine....

and here is the lastest... OK what should be plugged in here... I'm assuming to make me feel better that the one missing is for the A/C compressor....

and here is another shot of where my sensor is located... for now...
yeah I think the other location is for the older Celica application of the 22re. It works the same in either spot, just the motor mounts are in different spots for each, and it makes it a little easier to get to when the sensor's not behind the motor mount, lol

maybe the motor was pulled from a Celica and put in the Runner? or the engine was just rebuilt and the sensor and plug mixed up where they go?

if it bothers you it's an easy fix; just swap their spots

oh and I would DEFINATELY suggerst putting some bolts in those top mounting bolts

and that picture of the plug-ins, are you talking about the center plug?

it's kinda hard to tell...

the AC compressor plug is a single wire though, that I can tell you
Old 08-23-2009, 06:31 PM

and uhh yeah... it looks like the bottom bolt has washers or something as a spacer on that bottom bolt..there is part of me that doesn't like cleaning off too much grease/oil especially when stuff is working... maybe I'm just chicken... but hey... at least I'm honest.... best thing might be to just jack up the engine remove the motor mount and clean everything up and then possible put the sensor one spot back... it looks like it was just plugged off? Yeah.. I try to keep a positive outlook.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:45 PM

Thanks again SB... oh and here is my last interesting parts of the day... the Runner had seemed noisy when driving it before... and very smelly... well it makes sense when you flip up the back seat to vaccum under it to find the inspection plate for the fuel pump just kinda laying there.... looked like the fuel pump might have been replaced... DUH... the two main wires to it looked to have been replaced.... also a drain plug on the other side was off... which must have been another reason for the loudness of the ride... but hey ... for as old as it is ... it's pretty clean inside now... the mildew on the headliner was fun to scrub and scrub and scrub... I'll post up some pictures... tomorrow... sorry I didn't take any more... I suck at this and having to clean up to use the camera make me worse...
Old 08-24-2009, 06:18 AM

OK.. first off I guess I should thank everyone for their positive comments and feedback..yes I suck for not having done that sooner... after the starter tear down yesterday I just felt I missed something... well I was right... I should have remember reading this before but I've tried to be a good newbie and maybe I just have read tooooo much... so maybe some other newbie will read this or even some one researching their own STARTER REBUILD or CLICK CLICK CLICK issues... JUST GO HERE and LEARN

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...OnlineOrdering

Now I feel like a fool... but I know I can do this now AND I'll be better prepared.. Heck I just might rebuild the entire thing AND since my 4Runner has the starter relay (remember me mentioning this thing looked like it had been smacked a time or two itself) I'm planning to do the wiring mod to send the battery voltage directly to the starter!
Old 08-24-2009, 06:27 AM

AND of course I forgot my one other issue/new fun/LEARNING opportunity from yesterday... now after my cleaning my nice green 4WD indicator on the dash is illuminated. Strange... since I was pretty sure that the 4WD indicator feed from the trans/transfer case was a single GREEN wire that I had found was uhhhh cut/not connected to anything.... but I'm reading THIS post

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114...nd-one-187937/

maybe I'll figure it out before I even get home today (yeah, slow day at work).
Old 08-24-2009, 02:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The white crap in the holes is not the result of human folly. It's a wasp building a nest inside the unused holes. Very common for engines that haven't been run for extended periods of time around here. If you dig them out, you'll prolly find a dead larva inside.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:13 PM

Time for an update....
First Up... Starting problem. Well after ordering a starter re-build kit ( new contacts, plunger, isolators ) I yanked off the starter again and went thru what I thought was what was needed the first time. BUT... NOT. Same thing. I am SO LUCKY.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:30 PM

So since that didn't help and I knew the next stage was the wire cut shown in the earlier diagram I had also picked up a set of motor mounts and took care of the ugly thing on the pass side ( nastily displayed in a prior post ) and here is the finished product...

Even found some 2 Ga positive and negative cables from a prior project ( 84' K5 ) which also found themselves put into action.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:34 PM

After that it was back to taking care of click, click... which meant pulling everything off the fenderwell to trace the two black wires from the starter relay back and hopefully find where they were joined. Ended up being maybe 4 inches from the entrace of the wiring behind the headlight. Cliped, retaped, ran to the positive terminal and of course a little clean up while I was at it...

Can't wait to get the entire engine compartment looking like the top part here...

Old 09-07-2009, 12:35 PM

And after the wire cut mod... TADA! has started perfectly ever since....AMAZING.
My next quest was to actually have some tunes.

It's a JVC KD-PDR40 Tuner/CD with Direct iPod Cable Connect. I've got a JVC unit in my 94' F150 and I'm so spoiled with the remote but have to have the aux input for my iPod. This is even better with the direct connect cable.

Of course this brought about the next... PHASE of this project...

But what would a PHASE be without some PHUN... the PHUN being well checking the site I got the wiring codes... looking I find my fun.. no speaker cables... oh and no speakers... Terrific!

Last edited by GA864RUN; 09-07-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:49 PM

So with all the energy need to be expelled I decided to GO BIG....

And go TOPLESS.... prior to the installation of my newly acquired Can-Back soft-top I picked up for ..... cheap... really cheap... OK I feel a little guilty.. $450.00 delivered to my door... sweet!

And even got myself a custom top storage device ....

Old 09-07-2009, 12:53 PM

So how does it look now? Great I think.... Sorry no pics yet with the top on ... weather is just too damn nice...

Even made myself some custom seat covers... chuckle...

Quick Reply: Pick up my first 4Runner late this afternoon