Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

OME Suspension shocks do not fit!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OME Suspension shocks do not fit!

Guys,

after having the whole TRDParts4U OME/ARB suspension kit (with ball joint spacers/spring spacers) sit in my garage waiting for me to get out of this sememster of school I finally last night got around to putting on the suspension....or figuring it out it wont work.

I have pics, I will upload them in an hour or so.

All the part numbers from the kit I bought, shipping invoice, and numbers match so essentially I was shipped the "right" parts...

But how does the OME shocks that are the SAME LENGTH EXTENDED (rear's are 3/4" longer) fit the kit that needs at LEAST 3" EXTRA shock travel?

I only started on the rears. Got the rear springs and shocks out, put the yellow side by side...this is retarded.

This is what I have ( I should have everything to do the 3" lift correct?)

> OMEN72F- 2 shocks (rear)
> OMEN98- 2 shocks (front)
> BJ21 (ball joint spacers)
> IFS-TRUS (ifs front truss, sonoran steel)
> OMEN901 (rear springs)
> OMESD33 (front stabilizer shock)
> CSS1 (2.5" coil spring spacers)
And I have the LSPV and Panhard drop brackets also. Plus I have the 4" extra length stainless braided brake lines etc....

But I am 100% positive ( I build road going race cars in my spare time with my buddy Gerre Payvis that has been doing the same for 40 years, see linky below, so we know what we are doing.) me and him came to the conclusion the shocks I have WILL NOT WORK. I have personally exhausted every other possibility.

Are we (Me and Gerre) crazy? Are we missing something? Or am I correct and will TRDparts4U be owing me a refund? LOL (just kidding, I just want the extra travel shocks so I can drive my truck!)

-Jonathan

Last edited by Simann; 12-17-2006 at 06:43 AM.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:45 AM

This is the exact kit I bought (plus the other parts listed)
http://www.trdparts4u.com/PD-4RUNNER....aspx?MakeID=1

And I just realized something...I did not recieve any instruction booklet or manual whatsoever, though there is some type of book pictured above in the lower left hand side. Could be just a catalogue?

Last edited by Simann; 12-17-2006 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Have you tried contacting the company yet?
Old 12-17-2006, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Paul H.
Have you tried contacting the company yet?
Nope, but I am positive I am right in saying they (the Shocks they sent me with the "correct" part number as listed on their website) will NOT extend the extra 3" I need with the larger rear coils/coil spacers/ball joint spacers!!!!

I am going to get the Pro-Comp ES9000 shocks (they are available with the extra 3" length I need). Some people say they ride "stiff" but those people have a totally different definition of "stiff riding" than I do.... LOL (coming from the sports car side of town if you know what I mean).

But I do need some answers if anyone has them!
Old 12-17-2006, 06:57 AM

ok, im a noob so im just curious. Will it not fit because it literally doesn't fit? Or because it won't work once you get it in there? (like broken shocks and stuff?)
Old 12-17-2006, 07:02 AM

update i wanna know more about this one.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:06 AM

The shocks (part numbers above) travel are the STOCK LENGTH when extended all the way out.

So when I have the longer/stiffer rear coil springs, the coil spring spacers and the front ball joint spacers all adding up to another 3" of suspension lift and have stock length (travel) shocks.....its not going to work!

I wrote the guy I bought them from (at Toyota of Dallas TRDparts4U) an email, evidentally they do not work today in the parts dept. I know Strapp22 on here works there in some area, maybe he can help?

Let me get the pics up, they speak for themselves!

-Jonathan
Old 12-17-2006, 07:15 AM

Here they are.

Pardon the perspective shot that my father took of the two (left=stock toyota shock/right=ARB OME N72F "long travel" shock) they are both fully extended. Though the right one looks alot longer, its infact three quarters OF AN INCH(3/4 inch) longer travel than stock fully extended. I need 3 INCHES not 3/4 OF AN INCH !

The last two pics speak for themselves. Fully extended, the new set up vs the stock set up.

OME shock/spring/coil spring spacer.

Notice the shocks are identicle in height? Where is the extra 3" of travel going to come from? LOL
Attached Thumbnails OME Suspension shocks do not fit!-dsc05287-2.jpg   OME Suspension shocks do not fit!-dsc05288-2.jpg   OME Suspension shocks do not fit!-dsc05284.jpg  

Last edited by Simann; 12-17-2006 at 07:26 AM.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:30 AM
Contributing Member

That is the reason, us with the cruiser coils don't have OME's in the rear. They will work but won't allow you to use your new suspension to its fullest.
YOu could always try to swap them for ones for a fj80 or something, but not sure how stiff they will be. If I remember correctly, the ome shocks are matched for the coil not the extra spacer.

Last edited by slosurfer; 12-17-2006 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by slosurfer
That is the reason, us with the cruiser coils don't have OME's in the rear. They will work but won't allow you to use your new suspension to its fullest.
YOu could always try to swap them for ones for a fj80 or something, but not sure how stiff they will be. If I remember correctly, the ome shocks are matched for the coil not the extra spacer.
Exactly right!

But look at my pictures and trust my ability to reason from years of wrenching and driving, that these shocks will NOT work as advertised with the rest of the kit! At least the rears wont.

I sent Strap22 a message. Maybe he can help this out a little. Either way I MIGHT go with the Pro-Comp ES9000 shocks. Unless ARB/OME has another series of shocks that will get me where i need to be, 3" higher in the air!

Last edited by Simann; 12-17-2006 at 08:05 AM.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Simann
I am going to get the Pro-Comp ES9000 shocks
Don't even bother wasting your time. Those shocks are absolute garbage. Contact TRDparts and work something out. If all else fails, look into a Rancho or better yet a Belstein. Those Pro Comps are cheap Gabriel shocks I believe.

James
Old 12-17-2006, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by JamesD
Don't even bother wasting your time. Those shocks are absolute garbage. Contact TRDparts and work something out. If all else fails, look into a Rancho or better yet a Belstein. Those Pro Comps are cheap Gabriel shocks I believe.

James
Thanks James.

I have contacted the people that work there via Email right now, since I doubt they are at work on Sundays.

Rancho and Bilstein were my other choices but again, I will get in touch with TRDparts4U first.

To the point though, I am correct as it stands right now?
Old 12-17-2006, 01:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks James.

I have contacted the people that work there via Email right now, since I doubt they are at work on Sundays.

Rancho and Bilstein were my other choices but again, I will get in touch with TRDparts4U first.

To the point though, I am correct as it stands right now?

Well, if you're only asking if the rear shocks are too short for the 4" of lift that the rear springs and spacers provide, then yes, it appears so.
Having said that though, it may not be a problem.
The only way that you'll get 3" ~ 4" of lift in the front (to come anywhere close to matching the rear) is by cranking the t-bars up 1.5" ~ 2 ".
Do that and you'll kill your on road drive and you'll also pretty much kill any flex in the front.

That "lift" package, as it's sold, is more for looks than functionality..

So, if the front won't flex, because the t-bars are cranked so stiffly, then it won't really matter if the rear won't flex because the shocks are too short, will it .....

Fred
Old 12-17-2006, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by FredTJ
Well, if you're only asking if the rear shocks are too short for the 4" of lift that the rear springs and spacers provide, then yes, it appears so.
Having said that though, it may not be a problem.
The only way that you'll get 3" ~ 4" of lift in the front (to come anywhere close to matching the rear) is by cranking the t-bars up 1.5" ~ 2 ".
Do that and you'll kill your on road drive and you'll also pretty much kill any flex in the front.

That "lift" package, as it's sold, is more for looks than functionality..

So, if the front won't flex, because the t-bars are cranked so stiffly, then it won't really matter if the rear won't flex because the shocks are too short, will it .....

Fred

So he he puts the springs on but has to leave the shocks off the truck cause they are not long enough to even put on? Seems to me the shocks should be at LEAST long enough to install and work. Maybe not extra long for alot of travel but usable.
I glad this came up cause I was about ready to order the option 2 kit.
just my 2 cents.
KEEP US UDATED PLEASE
Old 12-17-2006, 02:46 PM

Well I am planning on purchasing the ARB OME T-bars, just have not yet. I wanted to put on the suspension then fix the other problems I have ( A/C compressor just took a poop and the PS pump is leaking majorly on a rear seal ), then get the T-bars. Downy makes some too right?

Then get some new tires and wheels after Christmas....LOL

But I will keep you guys updated. I have not heard from Strap22 or the other guys from the dealership yet ( really did not think so because its Sunday).

Hopefully they can order me a set of Rancho or Pro-Comp shocks. These ( the OME)were special order shocks from Australia and took a couple of weeks to get...so I am not in a good position.

Maybe I will just trade it for a Porsche?
Old 12-17-2006, 03:08 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Those rear shocks will work but will limit travel. We have changed the number on the rear to use with the spring and spacer setup. It is the same as the LC. shock that has been mentioned. As for the comment they are junk (Yes the Pro Comps) from one of you and Bilsteins are better I would agree they are better than PC's but the OME are a very good Shock.
Send you daytime phone # to info@trdparts4u.com and Jacque will call you Monday and get them swapped out.

Last edited by Strap22; 12-17-2006 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:10 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Well I am planning on purchasing the ARB OME T-bars, just have not yet. I wanted to put on the suspension then fix the other problems I have ( A/C compressor just took a poop and the PS pump is leaking majorly on a rear seal ), then get the T-bars. Downy makes some too right?

Then get some new tires and wheels after Christmas....LOL

But I will keep you guys updated. I have not heard from Strap22 or the other guys from the dealership yet ( really did not think so because its Sunday).

Hopefully they can order me a set of Rancho or Pro-Comp shocks. These ( the OME)were special order shocks from Australia and took a couple of weeks to get...so I am not in a good position.

Maybe I will just trade it for a Porsche?

T-BArs are also available from us. They are OME and they are great. I have run Sway-a-way but they were too stiff even with a ARB bumper and warn winch.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by strap22
. As for the comment they are junk from one of you and Bilsteins are better I would do some more homework before making that statement..
Im pretty sure he was calling the Procomps junk and not the OME which makes sense from my experience as well.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:34 PM

Hey Simann check your PM's
Old 12-17-2006, 03:47 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by gonzo
So he he puts the springs on but has to leave the shocks off the truck cause they are not long enough to even put on? Seems to me the shocks should be at LEAST long enough to install and work. Maybe not extra long for alot of travel but usable.
I glad this came up cause I was about ready to order the option 2 kit.
just my 2 cents.
KEEP US UDATED PLEASE
The Option 2 kit is a complete kit and the rear shocks will work just not as good with the coil spacers. We have since switched the rear shocks to a the LC OME shock just because of this problem. I am not sure why he was sent that setup. We will make it right.

Quick Reply: OME Suspension shocks do not fit!