Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Rig - '93 4Runner 4x4, plus some questions!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E85 is not crappy in the least... please do research before misleading other truck owners..
or state that it is your opinion and has nothing to do with actual facts.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You can jump the two wires but in my opinion, I perfer to put things back together the way they came. Anytime I try to uses jumpers it ends up being a nightmare months later when something else fails and it connected to the same system, and I have to start second guessing if the jump I made failed by rattleing or getting pinched, ect. Just replace it and be done. As for E85, it is commen in the very cold and high elevation climates. States like colorado, which is where we are talking about uses E85 for the fuel, mostly because of the temp and altitudes where the vehicles are driven. For your application the E85 will work fine with no down side. As you change locations or drop drastically in elevation you would notice a difference, however by the time you make the change you will most likely need another tank of gas. So don't worry about the fuel.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:42 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I came from down south, it was routine to see 92 octane all over the place, but not much here. I'll just stick with 85 and keep a close eye on it.

I'd be inclined to keep the original switch too. I may jump across if it screws up again. I hope I don't get stuck out in the woods this weekend with a down back window. It's working for now, i'll start really looking into it next week.

Another question (seems to be no end, at least I'm learning though!). Ocassionally I will go to start the truck and it will click once or twice like the starter is screwed. Then it starts up just fine. I've not been stranded, and if I wait a second then try again it works fine. I heard something about the silanoid on the starter contacts can get worn down or something? New pos/neg battery cables maybe? New starter? I'm sure its something stupidly simple, any ideas?
Old 04-07-2010, 06:48 PM

Also, I though E85 was ethanol fuel for flex fuel vehicles and newer models? I'm talking about straight 85 octane unleaded (it says just 85 on the pump). Unless 4runners can run on ethanol now? News to me!

Hope that clarifies, my dads suburban runs on ethanol and it is crap, it drops your milage like 5 mpg. We did the math on it, it was cheaper to pay more for unleaded because the mpg was better.

So yeah, I'm just talking good ol unleaded 85.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by yotaman85
E85 is not crappy in the least... please do research before misleading other truck owners..
or state that it is your opinion and has nothing to do with actual facts.

Listen bro, I'm not misleading anybody. E85 IS crap. Does it burn cleaner and better for the environment? sure. but Like he said, on vehicles DESIGNED to run it, it'll run fine, however mileage will suck. On a vehicle NOT designed to run on E85, it's just a bad idea. I can't even begin to count how many cars or trucks I've seen come into the shop with a 'no start' condition because the owners have accidently filled the tank with E85... either that or it's misfiring so bad it'll barely run at all. I would NOT recommend putting that crap in your gas tank.

Regular 85 unleaded should be fine for you. If you notice any knocking or pinging, just keep an eye on the skinny pedal, and when you fill back up switch up a grade.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:37 PM

Nice runner and nice job on the por-15!

To answer your questions...
1turn it down
2torch
3 shoulda got a pickup LOL