Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

new BJ spacers & coils, too much forward lean!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shawnhog
So then, whereabouts would I find a two-piece driveshaft from a Taco to bolt up; and for that matter: what years should I look for?

I apologize, but my mind is having a tough time wrapping itself around this 7.5" of lift... granted, my 'Runner did look loopy with the rear lift only, but 7.5"? That is beyond anything realistic..

My figuring is this, and I called AllPro on this as well: the 5.5" cruiser coils are 5.5" longer than stock springs in great shape (with no sag). That much I think we all agree on. Also, the 1.5" coils are considered lift coils as well, though they do not actually lift your 4Runner, but bring it back up to the original ride height. Straight from the guys at AllPro: the same principle is applied to the 5.5" coils.

So, if you have a 4Runner with no lift or coils of any kind that sags in the rear, the 1.5" coils will bring you to level, and the 5.5" coils will bring you up to the 1.5", and from there an additional 4" up. In all and depending on the 4Runner, you should expect a maximum of 4" of lift from the new coils, in my case 3.5" (since I sagged 2" overall.). Besides, if I truly had 7.5" of lift in the rear, no amount of torsion crank would bring me anywhere close to level, and right now I am off by about 2" at full crank..

It is all kind of strange, and perhaps AllPro should include some literature by the coils to better explaining what you get if you install them.

The hunt for a new driveshaft begins!

P.S. I apologize if any of the above might sound like flaming, I have just been having a bunch of trouble wrapping my mind around 7.5"...

Please don't chase me down with that chopper!
I still disgree.... Either Allpro has their facts wrong, or are marketing the springs wrong. The companies that manufacture the spring give the amount of lift from stock height, no lower. If they took into account the amount of sag they would have to market a spring for every degree of sag. Allpro say s that with a 2.5" spacer their 1.5" spring will be 4" to match 4" bracket lifts, so what you said contradicts that. If that was the case you would only get 2.5" lift, and have the same sag as you did before. When I had my coils custom wound by national spring they told me what I am telling you, the lift is from stock position. I had 3.25" coils wound, I sat about 1" lower than stock, and I did get an ass end 4" higher than it was. It leveled me out with the 3" rancho.

Something doesnt add up...ARB doesnt have an application guide to see how much lift those springs are. But if Allpro is marketing them as OME does, they are a 5.5" lift spring, from the stock height. If Allpro is assume EVERY 4runner sags 1.5" they are wrong, some sag more some sag less. With what they told you they dont even get a level stance with their 1.5" springs. You made it sound like they are marketing stock height springs as lift springs, I doubt that.

4runners never sat level, so you HAVE to lift it to get it level, about 1". Anytime your ride is higer than it was the day it came off the boat is lifting it.

My 'Runner, when I first got it it sagged a full two inches in the rear,
Now when you say your runner sagged 2" low, do you mean 2" below stock, or level. If its 2" below level then yes its a 7.5" difference from where you were to where you are. If you sat 2" below level, you only sagged out 1", there for you got about 6.5" from the spring. By saying you got 7.5 or 6.5" that is from where you sat befoe you installed the spring, not from stock ride height, that is 5.5" of difference, what the spring is supposed to be.

Now, my 1991 4Runner 3.0 has it's butt up in the air by a good six inches or more! I
And you said your six inches higher in the rear than the front, with the spacers and t-bar crankes. It sounds to me like you got more the 6" of lift...

Last edited by 4x4nala; 04-15-2006 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OME does not ***usually*** make a coil for more than ~2.5" over stock. This is so you can still use stock stuff like driveshafts, brake lines, etc.

Lift height is usually counted as X over stock. Sag is not universal, so a 3" coil could give, say 10" of lift if you have sagged 7", for example. That is absurd and I would tell you so if you asked me about saying you had 10" of lift.

Let me go out on a limb and say you likely have an OME 860 or 862. Those are both really nice lift springs, FOR AN FZJ 80 Land Cruiser.

Get some stock rear 80 coils. They work great with what front lift you have.

If not, get a cheap bracket lift. They work great with the rear lift you have.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein

Lift height is usually counted as X over stock. Sag is not universal, so a 3" coil could give, say 10" of lift if you have sagged 7", for example. That is absurd and I would tell you so if you asked me about saying you had 10" of lift.
Thank you. My point was simply that he is sitting approx 7.5" over where you were before. Provided you were saying you sagged 2" from stock, not level.

There is a difference in receiving 7.5" of lift from a spring, and having a 7.5" lift.

Last edited by 4x4nala; 04-15-2006 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As Flygtenstein said, you're using springs meant to lift FJ 80 2.1/2". What you get when you put them on 4runner depends on the weight you have in the back. If you don't want to spend more money to lift the front to march the back, then you should replace those springs with Stock FJ 80 springs or Downey springs.
Bsically, you've got the wrong springs to go with the front BJ spacers.
a simple search will reveals what others have put in the rear to match the BJ lift in the front.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:48 AM

Okay then, what is done is done, and the 4Runner is now sitting level and pretty due to some new (yet again, lol!) rear springs and a ProComp 4" front. Nice thing is, the Cruiser coils can fit in the box that the other new springs came in, making it easier for me to (hopefully) sell off.

I am writing this now because of my rear driveshaft: To get rid of the vibration, will the Taco front driveshaft (the back end of the front?) bolt right up to the transfer case, no problem? I would rather have an all-new driveshaft that will fit perfectly, instead of breaking out my drill and seeing what happens. If the Taco shaft won't work, who is a good shaft builder that sells at decent prices? I don't need a 1-ton drivetrain for a 3.0L engine, lol!

I do appreciate all of the feedback, and hopefully before long I can post pictures of the finished project for y'all. Thanks so much!
Old 04-24-2006, 12:53 PM

for my drive shaft I used the back half of the rear taco shaft. The nut on the xcase is bigger than the hole so I had it machined out a little...