86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

my massyfurgeson gray under $50 paint job

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 04:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ezrider_92356
Magnusian cant wait to see pics of your truck when your done, and if you decide you dont like them uca's ill take them off your hands ;-)
Can't wait to see what it'll look like when I'm done either. The way things are ballooning though I'm starting to wonder just how long from now that's gonna be. When I'm done though I know it'll be worth it.

As for the UCAs, I better like them, as I'm not a fan of body lifts the only other option is long-travel and I can't justify the cost of going that route, as fun as it would be. Maybe if I find a winning scratch-card on the ground or something... They were actually pretty reasonably priced by comparison and if I don't use the AALs I'll just hawk 'em to recoup some of the cost.

Diggin' the flex pics btw.

Last edited by Magnusian; 02-16-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice one man.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
when i started this i figured it would come out looking similar to a primer gray not much expectation out of it, i only spent maybe an hour and a half on prep including masking, and should have maybe cut a few big sheets of cardboard to spray before starting on the truck (the paint sprays different than normal automotive paint) the paint could have yielded some very nice results, as it is it exceeded my expectations making me wish i would have done more on the prep end of things, but i have to keep reminding myself there is not one panel on this truck that dose not have a dent in it. which is why i went quick and cheep on the paint job in the first place. if i wet sand and buff it out later on it will look a lot better there is a lot of dust and particulate that landed on the paint (had the shop door open while i was painting) it would also smooth out the orange peel. the hood should have been sanded down to bare metal primer and then paint because it was in such rough shape.
like i said though i need to keep telling myself the point was not to make the truck look perfect just make it look better with minimal cash and effort, as the the body is so dinged up it will all have to be re-done at some point any way and i dont have the time to spend a month doing body work or the cash to replace every single body panel on the truck. one thing i have going for me is the truck came from southern California and iv only had it in snow country for about 3 years so no rust
Old 02-16-2011, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Magnusian
Ah, I'm waiting on some fabtech UCAs and some new torsions for the front and for the rear I've the short shackles Marlin Crawler makes (which is 1.5" of lift iirc), LOA conversion, and the fabtech UCAs come with AALs for the rear but I'm not sure if I'll use them.

Speaking of which, I should probably call National and ask them what's taking so long.
body lifts have there advantages, they give you more tire clearance without messing with the supention they also make it much easier working on the truck. on the other hand though i really wouldn't recommend any more than 2inches on a body lift. i want to drop mine down to two inches eventually and raise the gas tank re do the trans mount as well as raise the motor a little so nothing hangs below the frame rails. having some body lift will allow me to do that.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't doubt they have their advantages, it's the looks that I'm not keen on. I'd rather lift the suspension anyways. Of course I think I'll still have to do some fender hacking to fit 31s even with the UCAs and BJ spacers and it doesn't look like you had to from the pictures.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:08 PM

well here is some compairson

seems like every time i paint somthing at the shop my boss always has some kind of painting project for me to do while i have my equipment there. this time its some ride on scrubbers. i had the color matched in DuPont nassan line of paint, total cost was 125 bucks for a half gallon of paint the reducer and harder. i have 4 of these to do and should still have a little left over but when painting a car depending on the size you need between a half gallon for a small car or around a gallon for a large van. this is the first time iv used this paint in a single stage paint job i have used a lot of DuPont nassan in a base clear.

sanded first with 120 grit then 200 and then 350 self etching primer over some bad bare metal spots.

i had forgotten i opened up the adjustment on my gun with the tractor paint and the tack coat went down a little heavier than i wanted. again i should know better and shoot on some cardboard before going to town but one of these days ill remember i got a run right where i first started painting ill sand that down later and repaint that section.

here are the results using automotive paint vrs tractor paint, at 125 bucks for a half gallon vrs about 35 bucks for a gallon.