Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I need help with my 86 4Runner's vacuum!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need help with my 86 4Runner's vacuum!

I came home the other day, and my neighbor came over and said that he thinks my I don't have vacuum. I am a fairly new yota owner and require some of the tricks and advise that long-time owners have...

help...
Old 07-10-2012, 05:11 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the board.

Your question makes no sense. Please explain in more detail what problem your having so we can help you
Old 07-10-2012, 05:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man, you're not sp'osed to smoke THAT much of that stuff before ya post! LOLz.

But seriously, did ya backspace in the middle of that? All gasoline engines develop some level of vacuum, is yours not running well? Or is your neighbor pointing out a running issue? Or just ill-informed of mechanical Toyota magic?
Old 07-10-2012, 05:46 PM

Sorry, bad typo! My car isn't creating hardly any vacuum at all. I don't understand it... Obviously I don't know how to fix it, so if you have any suggestions and help that would be great!!!
Old 07-10-2012, 05:53 PM

What engine is in your 86 4Runner, 22R or a 22RE ?.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:11 PM

22RE with 302k
Old 07-10-2012, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by fcthemusicman
22RE with 302k
On a 22RE all of the vacuum lines come off of the upper intake and the throttle body, Make sure all of the vacuum lines are properly hooked up, and there are no vacuum leaks and you should be good to go.

But with 302K miles on your engine you might be real close to needing a rebuild.

There are factory service manuals here that you can down load that will show you the vacuum line routing.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:35 PM

Many times it is just a vacuum leak, following all the little black hoses with an UNLIT propane torch will find the leak. It'll raise the idle when you cross a leak. Check the big black intake tube running directly behind the top of the radiator, it can crack and cause a leak. And the worst case scenario, a valve timing issue. But check all the easy fixes first. A Haynes/chilton manual, or better, a factory service manual will help LOTS. Search here for FSM, and for vacuum leak, as well. Lots of threads chock full of good info, you'll just have to dig.

I've also seen retarded ignition timing contribute to low vacuum problems. So a general timing check/tuneup may help.

Last edited by combatcarl; 07-10-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:41 PM

Received 823 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by fcthemusicman
Sorry, bad typo! My car isn't creating hardly any vacuum at all. I don't understand it...
Sorry, this still doesn't make any sense. Why do you think it isn't creating vacuum? Did someone test it? What test was done (what was the gauge connected to) and what was the result (what reading did you get at what engine state)?

If it runs, it is creating lots of vacuum. Is it creating enough? Did your neighbor just look into your open garage and announce "hmm. Not much vacuum in here"?

Better yet, back up a step. Is it not running correctly? Tell us about that, and what you did to determine why it isn't running correctly.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:33 PM

I just checked it about ten minutes ago...
It isn't creating hardly any vacuum when the throttle is pushed, but is creating none at all in idle. My dad had a thought...I live in Wyoming where emissions isn't such a big deal. Do I need all the emissions stuff under the hood? Is there a way to rig it?
Old 07-11-2012, 04:44 PM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
How do you know it has no vacuum? Any running engine creates vacuum. And why do you care? Does it run okay? If so leave it alone. If not, descrbe the symptoms. Simply saying "it has no vacuum" doesn't describe a problem or lead to any conclusion.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:48 PM

Are you using a vacuum port directly on the Plenum? When I check mine for timing /tune up purposes, I pull the brake booster line, and use it. Make sure you got a good line, and no leaks anywhere. What reading do you get at idle? If I make mine pull much less than 14 in/HG, it stalls, so if its running, there is at least that much. Good vacuum gauge?
Old 07-11-2012, 05:01 PM

When the engine is running it is creating vacuum, there is no way around it. How do you think the air / fuel gets sucked into the cylinders. When you push the throttle the vacuum will drop to zero or very close to it, that is normal operation and every engine will do that.

Were are you hooking up the vacuum gauge ?, and how much vacuum are you getting at idle ?. Were all trying to help you here, so the more information you can give us the better we can help you.

Last edited by myyota; 07-11-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:02 PM

Okay, I may sound stupid, but give me a break I'm a music ed major... I have no idea of what is supposed to happen, but this is how I see it. I have no fancy vacuum meter. There is vacuum from the air intake at all times, gee that would be bad if it wasn't! At idle there is no other vacuum throughout the system, at least not enough to draw in propane from an unlit torch. There is no vacuum running through the charcoal canister period. I really don't understand what all these parts and pieces are so please be a little slow with me on this...sometimes I REALLY need help......
Old 07-11-2012, 05:12 PM

If you 4Runner is running there is all kinds of vacuum. Pull the vacuum hose off of the brake booster and you will feel it there. The charcoal canister is not supposed to have vacuum running through it, its the vent for the gas tank.

Is your 4Runner running ok or are you having a specific problem with it ?.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:28 PM

Ah...I understand ...all those little hoses don't necessarily have vacuum in them, all the time, or some of the time. They're often controlled by thermal switches, to activate/deactivate emissions controls. Or to raise idle with a/c on, load on PS pump etc, so your engine doesn't stall. But as long as you're not having idle or running issues, your truck is probably A OK!

The fun thing about vacuum, if you keep it as low as you can, or as close to, 18-22in/HG, at all throttle positions, you'll pull better MPG! Requires an in cab gauge, tho.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:32 PM

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm

I can never get them clickable on my phone...but this might help!

http://www.international-auto.com/fi...uum-gauges.cfm

Last edited by combatcarl; 07-11-2012 at 06:42 PM. Reason: woah...its clickable, how did i do that? wha?
Old 07-11-2012, 06:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Low/zero engine vacuum can be caused by a resticted exhaust system.... via catalytic converter...
Old 07-11-2012, 07:15 PM

Hey thanks guys! You put an idiots mind at rest!!!! I am tempted to yank my catalytic converter out and chuck it...302k miles worth of carbon and crap, its probably full. Any ideas or suggestions of how to do that?
Old 07-11-2012, 07:34 PM

Most muffler shops won`t remove acatalytic converter, but you can buy a cheap replacement and have them replace it.

Quick Reply: I need help with my 86 4Runner's vacuum!