Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help!!! Truck keeps cutting out!!! Really neeed help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!!! Truck keeps cutting out!!! Really neeed help!!

Ok guys heres my problem, I REALLYYY NEED HELPPP!! IM REALLY LOST!!!

My 1986 4runner (previously EFI but totally converted to carbureted) drove fine... Few months after buying it the truck would just start CUTTING OUT while driving, just totally cut off ANY TIME IT WANTED TO while driving.... Did A BUNCH OF DIAGNOSTICS MYSELF and ended up replacing coil. After replacing coil the truck ran fine for months. Going off roading and all.

Been a few months now, and the truck did it to me again.. About 15 min of driving, the truck cut out. Totally mimics me shutting off the ignition. And kept doing it once it did it the first time. It would run for 10 seconds then shut off. A minute then shut off. Then 2 secondss then shut off. TOTALLLY RANDOM!. So I went back and bought a new coil.. I took it for a test ride RIGHT AFTER putting in coil and ran EXCELLENT around the block.

Tried driving it again to go somewhere an hour later and it cut out 10 seconds after leaving the driveway....

Diagnosis I have done: I pulled the coil wire and left if JUST close enough to arc onto the terminal on the distributor cap and tried to turn it over. No spark, no spark then when it arcs, it starts. I can watch it arc as the motor runs, then RANDOMLY the arcing stops and motor CUTS. Then keeps doing it. Not even letting me drive down the road...
I eliminated it as a fuel problem, and air problem.. Its definitly an electrical problem.. but I am lost. i dont know what it is...

PLEASE GUYS I REALLY NEED HELP I AM SOOOO LOST! I HAVE BEEN ASKING EVERYONE AND NO ONE KNOWS!!! PLEASEEE I AM SO DESPERATE!!!
ALOHA!
Old 10-12-2012, 11:45 PM

Also, sometimes after it dying out, the motor will not start back up. I will try numerous times to start it and it will not start.. Ill unplug the coil wire. plug it back in, and itll start. Then it might run for a minute or 2 before cutting, or it might run for 2 seconds before cutting out. TOTALLY random, I can never predict it.. I am really going crazy guys, I love my truck but its driving me nuts... Please help me guys.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Work backward. Are your plugs ok? When she is malfunctioning hook up an inductive timing light to one of the spark plug wires and see if you are getting spark at that point. If not check the resistance of your wires. If the wires ok, check out your cap and rotor. If cap and rotor ok, check out your coil.
Do you have the FSM?

Last edited by Buck87; 10-13-2012 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:08 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Yes, use a timing light to check for spark. Works much better (and easier, and does less damage) than pulling off a wire. Plus, you need one anyway, and they don't cost much.

That said, I suspect your igniter. Unfortunately, you can't test it directly, only by elimination. Which you should do. http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1990-1995...e/onvehicl.pdf (Igniters aren't cheap, so throwing a new one in on my say-so without doing the diagnostics is foolish.) You need a multimeter, of course, which is another inexpensive tool you can't do without.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:51 AM

I see what you guys mean, but heres why im so confused. I put in BRAND NEW
-plugs-wires-cap-rotor and-coil
and like i said, it wouldnt even let me drive for 10 seconds without dying and had to tow it home.. After i replaced coil i test drove it for about 4 miles and it ran FINE. Then an hour later after letting it sit, it was just as bad again...
and Scope, you said it could be the ignitor (the little black box ontop of the coil)??? Thats the only thing I had in mind already too...
Also as for what you said Buck87, ive tried the timing light, its the same as how I disconnected the coil wire and watched it arc then suddenly stop and car dies. The plug will fire then stop and car dies..... im sooooooo confuseeddd -_- .....
Old 10-13-2012, 09:58 AM

Ok guys what about this???? The motor was originally a 22RE injected and EVERYTHING to do with EFI was done away with and a Weber was thrown in.....
The Coil has that little black box ontop of it, and I notice that all the 22r's dont have it, while all the 22RE's do??? Could that thing be bad? If so, Do I even need it at all??? Is there A way I can eliminate it?????