Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Electric Fan Woes... again

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, but then again it may be cuz you dont have the extra heat from the auto tranny...

Interesting... Where did you get the flow specs on the ford fans? I don't know what the stock fan is, but for reference the FAL 165 is rated at 2800 cf/m.

What years mark VIII are we talking about? Is this fan similar to the taurus? Any deeper than the one i have now, and it wont fit. I already had to replace the water pump studs with short bolts... i have about 1/2" clearence right now.

toyo22r@hotmail.com
95 4Runner
Old 06-21-2006, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by toyo22r
Yeah, but then again it may be cuz you dont have the extra heat from the auto tranny...

Interesting... Where did you get the flow specs on the ford fans? I don't know what the stock fan is, but for reference the FAL 165 is rated at 2800 cf/m.

What years mark VIII are we talking about? Is this fan similar to the taurus? Any deeper than the one i have now, and it wont fit. I already had to replace the water pump studs with short bolts... i have about 1/2" clearence right now.

toyo22r@hotmail.com
95 4Runner
The internet is full of information on these fans because they are a popular upgrade for Mustang guys that want an electric fan.

Looks like the Mark VIII fan is pretty deep, 6.25" (but, after searching I found the Taurus fan is the same depth, I think this sounds about right for my fan but not 100% sure). The write-up from a mustang guy I was reading said you can trim the shroud down an inch or so, but this may slightly reduce cooling capacity.

Here is the write up I found with google:

Supercharged & Intercooled Mustang w/ Mark VIII fan

And another:

Bronco w/ Mark VIII Fan

EDIT: And another Mustang:

Regular Mustang GT w/ Mark VIII Fan

doing a search for "Taurus Electric Fan CFM" or "Lincoln Mark VIII Electric Fan CFM" will bring up many search results that may be useful.

Last edited by mastacox; 06-21-2006 at 08:11 AM.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:14 AM

Ive got a universal flex-a-lite fan I got at NAPA for about $130. Ive never had overheating issues but (there's always butts ) I dont run AC and have a manual tranny. Ac is probably what your problem is. I know it my sound crude but why dont you wheel with no AC? You cant always have you cake and eat it too. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:39 AM

Oh i dont use ac when wheeling... I'm talking strickly on-road overtemps. I dont think its just the ac by itself. Unless someone can confirm different, i think AC together with AUTOMATIC tranny and HOT ambient temps and a heavy rig (5300lbs) all add up to too much heat for FAL or Taurus fans.

Thanks mastacox for all the info on the mark 8 fans. The guys running this fan say they have to upgrade their alternators as this sucker draws over 40A continous and has an inrush of over 100A at start up. I don't know. The more i think about it the more i think i should just stay with the rock solid reliability of the stock fan and accept the inherent drag on the engine. I may run by the u-pull-it-yourself yard where i bought it and just see if they have a mark 8 fan just for grins. But otherwise i'll just go back to stock and do the ISR mod for starters.

toyo22r@hotmail.com
95 4Runner
Old 06-21-2006, 11:39 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by toyo22r
Thanks mastacox for all the info on the mark 8 fans. The guys running this fan say they have to upgrade their alternators as this sucker draws over 40A continous and has an inrush of over 100A at start up. I don't know. The more i think about it the more i think i should just stay with the rock solid reliability of the stock fan and accept the inherent drag on the engine. I may run by the u-pull-it-yourself yard where i bought it and just see if they have a mark 8 fan just for grins. But otherwise i'll just go back to stock and do the ISR mod for starters.
Oh well, can't win them all I suppose. Good luck with the stocker, hope it solves your problems.

I hope to try one of those Mark VIII fans out someday though, they sound intense, it'll suck bugs right through the radiator fins I think!

As a side note, my buddy put a 400 hp 5.0 Ford Racing engine in his explorer, and the guys at the performance mustang shop in town said he might have to go with a 3-core aluminum radiator with a Viper fan! Supposedly they are the sickest thing you can get for a mustang in terms of an electric fan, but thy cost serious $$$. Dodge Dakota guys use them as the end-all-be-all of electric fans. I looked online and the specs as I found them are:

Dodge Viper Electric Fan:

Flow: 4400-4800 cfm
Current: 40-50 amps, startup around 100 amps

Price: $500 new

I think that's about as big as you get with an electric fan, after that you need mechanical no choice...

At those flow specs, you're better off getting a thicker radiator (if it exists) than that fan!

Last edited by mastacox; 06-21-2006 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:26 PM
Contributing Member

i am shocked at how much i just learned!!!!
Old 06-21-2006, 12:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by brandontrek
i am shocked at how much i just learned!!!!
Old 10-12-2006, 05:44 PM

Here's a question what about the fan on the camry with 3vzfe? Basicly the same engine in most respects.