Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

89 22re rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 89 22re rough idle

Hey guys first off id like to say hello as Ive been reading your forums for a while and am not posting for the first time. I just got my 4runner 3 weeks ago and am loving it. Anyways ill cut to the chase on the point of this topic...

After installing a tac my suspicions were realized as the idle is a bit rough. it idles around 950 and loops up and down when warm as much as 200 either way (hence why its not at the stock 750rpm idle cuz then it would have real troubles once it hit 500).

Im just wondering from you guys if theres any common problems that 4runners have that cause this? As i said its an 89 22re. Ive so far tried a pretune mix that toyota makes to decarbonize the intake, then i proceeded to adjust the valves.. The problem proceeded... So next i changed the sparks, wires, rotor and cap...Still very little change. I even tried running sum STP fuel injection cleaner in with a tank of gas, but no luck. Ive played with the idle (i havent played with the timing yet as my timing light has given up the ghost).. Any ideas?? im obviously considering it might be the fuel pump or injectors...

Oh and so everyone knows, once i give it gas it sounds totally fine.. its just the idle that is affected as of now.

Thanks guys

Justin
Old 03-06-2007, 06:00 AM

Have you checked for codes?
Old 03-06-2007, 12:31 PM

i got the same problem right now, but mine seems to only do it while cold so i haven't paid too much attention.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:49 PM

I was having idle problems and replaced all my small vac lines this weekend I was working on other things one I was going to replace the starter wire when I cut loose the bundle of wires I found that theres a hose that adjusts your idle when you turn the steering wheel, the valve for this was broken and both hoses where
open and drawing in gunk capped them both off and the problem went away until I can either get a new one or fix the one I have.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by CyMoN
I was having idle problems and replaced all my small vac lines this weekend I was working on other things one I was going to replace the starter wire when I cut loose the bundle of wires I found that theres a hose that adjusts your idle when you turn the steering wheel, the valve for this was broken and both hoses where
open and drawing in gunk capped them both off and the problem went away until I can either get a new one or fix the one I have.
Well as far i can tell its not a vaccum leak (sprayed ether all over the vaccum hoses and intake and the engine didnt rev up)... I dont believe i have on mine any hose that adjust idle when turning the steering wheel all tho you never know... Does it come off the PS pump? where abouts is it?

And in answer to the other question... no codes
Old 03-08-2007, 12:22 PM

Unhappy code 51

i got the same problem,when i check codes read 51.tps ok. bad idle 500rpm
Old 03-08-2007, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by bodo4runner
i got the same problem,when i check codes read 51.tps ok. bad idle 500rpm

Well my idles fine so thats not it and i have no codes.

A bit of an update.. i was starting to think it might be the TPS on the way out... So today i took off the throttle body.. used carb cleaner to clean it up... then used electrical cleaner on the tps and it regained its proper springyness...I was careful to install it correctly on the throttle body again..Then for good measure i took off the cover on the Air flow meter and cleaned out underneath it with electrical cleaner..then reselaed it...

So far its runnin ALOT smoother at idle when warm.. its not quite perfect but pretty darn good i could defiently live with it... the last thing i can think to do is replace that TPS sensor but its 140 canadian and id rather not do it if i dont have too...

As an interesting side note.. From toyota the tps was $140 (canadian) and from lordco it was $360!!! insane eh?

Anyone here ever just cleaned the tps rather then replacing it.. any luck or no luck stories??
Old 03-11-2007, 01:03 AM

check for play in the throttle body by opening the throttle and trying to shake it if it moves more then a 1/4 of a inch you need a new throttle body
Old 03-11-2007, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by gametom
check for play in the throttle body by opening the throttle and trying to shake it if it moves more then a 1/4 of a inch you need a new throttle body
thanks man but i checked that not much play at all id say 1/16th of an inch