Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

87 turbo Wheeling for the first time, issues.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 turbo Wheeling for the first time, issues.

just got my 4runner back from the shop amd after making just a few passes in the mud the manifold was glowing red and this thing is GUTLESS, like dangerous to pull out in traffic gutless, a buddy i was with said that the timing was off and i havent had a chance to check yet but is there anything else it could be? The coolant temps are fine throughout. Also when im driving with my headlights on and i use my turn signal or turn on the heat, the digital dash will freak out and go blank. Is that an alternator issue or what?
Old 11-15-2007, 07:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check your cat, and see if its clogged, that might be causing the redness and gutless.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:46 AM

What was done at the shop? Did it run OK before it went in?

Timing could cause that issue. So could a cracked exhaust manifold/turbine housing.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Turbo4Runner
What was done at the shop? Did it run OK before it went in?

Timing could cause that issue. So could a cracked exhaust manifold/turbine housing.
BRAND NEW turbo, used manifold, wasnt even CLOSE to being able to run when i brought it in.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:16 AM

also im looking for the turn signal flasher becuase mine are blinking super fast and i cant find it under the dash.....
Old 11-15-2007, 09:00 AM

Well then I sure hope it's not the turbo or manifold...

Get a timing light and check your base timing (don't forget to jumper the diagnostic pins. I forget which ones they are, searching will tell.)

Also check your intake for boost leaks (a leak between your turbo and head). You can do this by making an adapter to clamp over your turbo's inlet with PVC and a tire valve. Pressurize it with an air compressor and see if air is leaking out anywhere. A good sized leak would result in a lack of power and the turbo being worked very hard. Turbo over worked = super hot and glowing.

Also, its not totally uncommon for some glowing under the hood if you have been running it real hard. Just be sure to let the truck idle for a while and cool down before you shut it down or you'll destroy the turbo in pretty short order.

Good luck!
Old 11-15-2007, 10:49 AM

http://www.22rte-trucks.com/simplema...orum/index.php

check this site out if you have'nt
Old 11-15-2007, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Turbo4Runner
Well then I sure hope it's not the turbo or manifold...

Get a timing light and check your base timing (don't forget to jumper the diagnostic pins. I forget which ones they are, searching will tell.)

Also check your intake for boost leaks (a leak between your turbo and head). You can do this by making an adapter to clamp over your turbo's inlet with PVC and a tire valve. Pressurize it with an air compressor and see if air is leaking out anywhere. A good sized leak would result in a lack of power and the turbo being worked very hard. Turbo over worked = super hot and glowing.

Also, its not totally uncommon for some glowing under the hood if you have been running it real hard. Just be sure to let the truck idle for a while and cool down before you shut it down or you'll destroy the turbo in pretty short order.

Good luck!
wasnt running real hard, well it didnt feel like it at least becuase there is def a power problem but that may be part of the issue, getting the CAT checked now and will check the timing tonight.

Any thoughts on the dash?

thanks for the link to the website too!

very helpful people on here thanks........
Old 11-15-2007, 12:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was it running OK before mudding?

A red manifold indicates either very retarded timing and/or a lean mixture. Both can cause performance issues.
The bad news is that to get the manifold hot enough to get it to glow, you're hot enough to immediately coke oil - which can damage the turbo.
I've baked two turbos this way.. :-)

Base timing is easy enough to check. The timing should advance with RPM.

I'd spin the turbo compressor by hand to check it.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by dcg9381
Was it running OK before mudding?

A red manifold indicates either very retarded timing and/or a lean mixture. Both can cause performance issues.
The bad news is that to get the manifold hot enough to get it to glow, you're hot enough to immediately coke oil - which can damage the turbo.
I've baked two turbos this way.. :-)

Base timing is easy enough to check. The timing should advance with RPM.

I'd spin the turbo compressor by hand to check it.
nope, had no power before i went, i was only in the mud for like 5MIN tops but the drive there was about 15, truck has to work WAY to hard to get going. i hope i didnt just ruin a $1500 turbo kit.......
Old 11-15-2007, 12:42 PM

Have you already checked all your fuses for the light problem?
Old 11-15-2007, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by 87turbo
nope, had no power before i went, i was only in the mud for like 5MIN tops but the drive there was about 15, truck has to work WAY to hard to get going. i hope i didnt just ruin a $1500 turbo kit.......
Why was the car in the shop?
If it was for the turbo kit - it sounds like they didn't check the install work.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:48 PM

in the shop becuase the motor was seized so it was totally gone through....

back from muffler shop cat and muffler checked out perfect.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:12 PM

I had a 87 Turbo 4Runner and it was totally gutless when you first take off but as soon as the turbo spooled up it pulled real hard, even out ran a Chevy V-6 S-10 one time. My dash lights also went crazy sometimes. Can't remember but had something to do with turning the lights on or turn signals. Never did fix it or find the problem but it did it for a couple years that I had it and I think I always suspected a faulty ground to the instrument cluster. I don't think it is battery or alt. related and never caused a problem other than not being able to see the instruments. Can you hear the turbo spooling up?
Old 11-15-2007, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Supra 4x4
I had a 87 Turbo 4Runner and it was totally gutless when you first take off but as soon as the turbo spooled up it pulled real hard, even out ran a Chevy V-6 S-10 one time. My dash lights also went crazy sometimes. Can't remember but had something to do with turning the lights on or turn signals. Never did fix it or find the problem but it did it for a couple years that I had it and I think I always suspected a faulty ground to the instrument cluster. I don't think it is battery or alt. related and never caused a problem other than not being able to see the instruments. Can you hear the turbo spooling up?
yeah i can definetly hear the turbo but it is still slow as hell.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:39 PM

AWESOME! messed with the timing and this thing is a whole nother animal, have it at about 12* right now and it runs awesome.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
also im looking for the turn signal flasher becuase mine are blinking super fast and i cant find it under the dash.....

that is usually a warning that one of your blinker lights (outside) died. turn on your hazards and walk around your truck to see which one is out.

glad to hear the turbo is working
Old 11-16-2007, 06:56 AM

AWESOME! messed with the timing and this thing is a whole nother animal, have it at about 12* right now and it runs awesome.
What was it at before? I'd have a field day with the shop that did that work.. If they went through the motor, put on a new turbo, and didn't bother to test the truck or check the timing - that indicates some not so good workmanship.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by idanity
that is usually a warning that one of your blinker lights (outside) died. turn on your hazards and walk around your truck to see which one is out.

glad to hear the turbo is working
truck has no front turn signals, no housing, no bulbs so i guess thats why. the only thing i have left to fix is the damn digital dash going blank anytime i use an electrical item.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by dcg9381
What was it at before? I'd have a field day with the shop that did that work.. If they went through the motor, put on a new turbo, and didn't bother to test the truck or check the timing - that indicates some not so good workmanship.

it's a buddy with a shop and i get half price/ get what u pay for