86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

83 22r to efi?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 06:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
83 22r to efi?

I recently purchased a 1983 2wd SR5 pickup with a good running 22r in it. I purchased it with intentions to convert the motor to a efi, and drop it in my 88'. But I am not sure how to go about it converting it. All the 22re stuff i have is off of 85 and newer toys, will it work?
Old 11-26-2011, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it's a 'true' '83 22R then the '85 EFI manifold will bolt to it. If it's ever been rebuilt or had the head converted, the intake manifold is missing some thread bosses.

I researched this extensively before I decided to drop in a 3RZ in my '83. My truck had a rebuilt engine in it, and luck would have it my '83 head was no longer on the truck so I was unable to convert it to EFI (with the stock manifold).
Old 11-27-2011, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by JustDSM
If it's a 'true' '83 22R then the '85 EFI manifold will bolt to it. If it's ever been rebuilt or had the head converted, the intake manifold is missing some thread bosses.

I researched this extensively before I decided to drop in a 3RZ in my '83. My truck had a rebuilt engine in it, and luck would have it my '83 head was no longer on the truck so I was unable to convert it to EFI (with the stock manifold).
I belive it is the origional motor, and as far as I am aware it has not been rebuilt, or had any major work done to it... Does the efi manifold have to be from an 85? (i have the one from the 88 and 2? unkown years) Also is there anything else that I must do to convert it, other than swapping the intake manifolds?

I greatly appreciate the help!!
Old 11-27-2011, 01:19 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Wink

Yes Much more work.

Up grade the entire fuel system .The air intake system

You already know about the electronics to drive the EFI system

The correct igniter/coil set up for whatever ecu you end up using .

That is just off the top of my head if I think about this no doubt more things will be remembered.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by yeehaw1
I belive it is the origional motor, and as far as I am aware it has not been rebuilt, or had any major work done to it... Does the efi manifold have to be from an 85? (i have the one from the 88 and 2? unkown years) Also is there anything else that I must do to convert it, other than swapping the intake manifolds?

I greatly appreciate the help!!
check the head on the 83 and see if it has all the holes for bolts that the 85 manifold has. if it doesnt you might need to find an intake for an 83/84 celica 22re. you might also need to use the exhaust manifold from the 83
and oil pans are different between 2wd and 4wd so might need to swap that stuff

other than that, use the distributor from the 88 and block off the fuel pump mount and you should be good to go.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Yes Much more work.

Up grade the entire fuel system .The air intake system

You already know about the electronics to drive the EFI system

The correct igniter/coil set up for whatever ecu you end up using .

That is just off the top of my head if I think about this no doubt more things will be remembered.
Aprecciate it, will the air and fuel systems used on the 88 be enough? i planed to just reuse them...

Originally Posted by 4wd4fun
check the head on the 83 and see if it has all the holes for bolts that the 85 manifold has. if it doesnt you might need to find an intake for an 83/84 celica 22re. you might also need to use the exhaust manifold from the 83
and oil pans are different between 2wd and 4wd so might need to swap that stuff

other than that, use the distributor from the 88 and block off the fuel pump mount and you should be good to go.
I don't have an 85 manifold, would a newer one work? the exhaust manifold from the 83 is fine, i don't mind using it...
oil pan is no biggie, i have 2 or 3 4x4 ones laying around...

For the heck of it, heres a pic of the 83 sr5 longbed...

you can see a little of the 88 in the background, beside the camper, wonder if this toy would pull that camper?
Old 11-27-2011, 11:53 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I would seriously inspect the frame on that 83 before I put a dime into it.
Either the 2 rear cab corner mounts are collapsing on themselves or the frame is shot.
Cab and bed are kissing..
Old 11-27-2011, 03:46 PM

Wink

By up grading the fuel system I meant the fuel pump the fuel filter and what fuel lines need replacing for the higher fuel injection pressure .

I can understand restoring a truck but you have your work cut out .

I sent better stuff for scrap.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:56 PM

You can EASILY convert the 83 22r to early celica (pre-85) EFI. This system does not require a knock sensor and has a vac advance distributor. It's stupid simple to do.

Every pre-85 block I've seen lacks the boss for a knock sensor, which is needed for the ECU to advance the distributor to run the 85+ EFI.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
I would seriously inspect the frame on that 83 before I put a dime into it.
Either the 2 rear cab corner mounts are collapsing on themselves or the frame is shot.
Cab and bed are kissing..
By up grading the fuel system I meant the fuel pump the fuel filter and what fuel lines need replacing for the higher fuel injection pressure .

I can understand restoring a truck but you have your work cut out .

I sent better stuff for scrap.
I think your both missing my intent (maybe I never stated it) I'm planning on pulling the motor from the 83, converting it to efi (maybe) and putting it in the 1988 toy with the blue bed in the background of the pic...

Originally Posted by mattman
You can EASILY convert the 83 22r to early celica (pre-85) EFI. This system does not require a knock sensor and has a vac advance distributor. It's stupid simple to do.

I may have to start looking for a early celica then
Every pre-85 block I've seen lacks the boss for a knock sensor, which is needed for the ECU to advance the distributor to run the 85+ EFI.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:43 PM

i know this is off topic but how dod you make the newer bed fit to the 88? it looks to be a 90 or newer bed if im correct?
Old 11-27-2011, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by westjohns yota
i know this is off topic but how did you make the newer bed fit to the 88? it looks to be a 90 or newer bed if im correct?
Your right, its off a 89' it's actually loose on there atm because I need to plate one spot on the frame. But irregardles, it just bolts down, something like 2 bolt Holes don't line up, but I'm not worried about em that much, it's still got 6 or so... I'm putting the camo bed off a 94' (under the red canoe in the pic) on my 87' yeehaw, you can look at my very bare build thread if you like.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:13 AM

Wink

I think you had us thinking you were converting the engine in the 2wd truck to EFI which had most of us me included thinking you were a little foolish.

What you stated now makes more sense !!

Because of the knock sensor or lack of one on that older block to convert to efi your gonna need all the goodies off a 83 EFI Celica ECU and engine harness with the AFM TPS and all the other sensors to work with the ECU every thing else should work off the newer truck .

The things with these old harnesses is the plugs and connectors get brittle and break when taking things apart.

I should have all these parts if you can`t find them closer to home.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:42 AM

I think you had us thinking you were converting the engine in the 2wd truck to EFI which had most of us me included thinking you were a little foolish.

What you stated now makes more sense !!

Because of the knock sensor or lack of one on that older block to convert to efi your gonna need all the goodies off a 83 EFI Celica ECU and engine harness with the AFM TPS and all the other sensors to work with the ECU every thing else should work off the newer truck .

The things with these old harnesses is the plugs and connectors get brittle and break when taking things apart.

I should have all these parts if you can`t find them closer to home.
It wasn't untill ocdropzone commented that it dawned on me what yall thought, and ill agree, that would have been foolish of me!
Though there are some good parts on this body [SR5 seats, center console, unmolested woodgrain dash, and some body parts that i may try to use later on , but as a whole this truck is parts/scrap, it will never be on the road again (with this frame)]...
I may just leave it carb'd, in which case i'd need a 22r 5spd ecu for an 88, which would prolly be easier (and cheaper) to find than a efi celica from that era.
I think i'll look around before I make up my mind though, how much would you want for the stuff from the celica you mentioned?
Old 12-14-2011, 08:14 PM

Finally got the motor out, and I think it's a newer style motor... But im completely fine with that lol
Old 12-15-2011, 05:16 AM

If you can take a picture of the top of the intake manifold where it mates against the head I'll be able to tell you if it's EFI compatible (bolt-on).