Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4Runner won't shift into second gear unless I let my foot off the gas pedal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4Runner won't shift into second gear unless I let my foot off the gas pedal?

I have a 1994 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 and has some transmission issues.

Basically, happens every now and then. I push the gas and it will not shift unless I let go of the gas pedal. Also, when I let go of the gas pedal, it makes a weird whining noise. Very loud. However, if I disconnect the battery and leave it like that for a couple of days, the problem goes away but will soon return.

What made me start having these issues is when I replaced the transmission fluid because it was black. I did a fluid and filter change. Everything was done correct as can be. I even put fully synthetic.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Zealous84milo
I have a 1994 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 and has some transmission issues.

Basically, happens every now and then. I push the gas and it will not shift unless I let go of the gas pedal. Also, when I let go of the gas pedal, it makes a weird whining noise. Very loud. However, if I disconnect the battery and leave it like that for a couple of days, the problem goes away but will soon return.

What made me start having these issues is when I replaced the transmission fluid because it was black. I did a fluid and filter change. Everything was done correct as can be. I even put fully synthetic.
First off, is this the original transmission or a replacement? How many miles are on it? Has it had regular service thru its life? Are there any codes? Are the gears slipping while accelerating or is the car not moving at all when you press the gas?

Not to be negative, but its probably acting up because you changed the fluid and filter. After market fluid in some cars can also cause issues as well. For any high mileage transmission, if it has not had regular service through its life, it is not wise to change the fluid as it could cause issues. Rule of thumb, if it has high miles and it is working normally, "do not mess with it".

If you are still currently having issues, I would take it to a transmission shop or a Toyota dealer to see what it could be.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:01 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
You probably have the A340h (check your door pillar), which has built-in diagnostics. I would be surprised if they would catch a truly intermittent problem, but by all means check them before you go to a shop.

http://web.archive.org/web/201408161...31diagnosi.pdf
Old 12-15-2015, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Janos01
First off, is this the original transmission or a replacement? How many miles are on it? Has it had regular service thru its life? Are there any codes? Are the gears slipping while accelerating or is the car not moving at all when you press the gas?

Not to be negative, but its probably acting up because you changed the fluid and filter. After market fluid in some cars can also cause issues as well. For any high mileage transmission, if it has not had regular service through its life, it is not wise to change the fluid as it could cause issues. Rule of thumb, if it has high miles and it is working normally, "do not mess with it".

If you are still currently having issues, I would take it to a transmission shop or a Toyota dealer to see what it could be.

Yes it is the original transmission. Has probably never been serviced maybe once or twice in its whole life.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
You probably have the A340h (check your door pillar), which has built-in diagnostics. I would be surprised if they would catch a truly intermittent problem, but by all means check them before you go to a shop.

http://web.archive.org/web/201408161...31diagnosi.pdf
The torque converter came out.