86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3VZE weird noise and no start

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3VZE weird noise and no start

The video with the noise is on the youtube link below.. my 3.0 started acting sluggish when starting as if the battery was low or my starter was going out. after first start of the day it would turn over fine no problem for the rest of the day this lasted for about 4 days. now it wont turn on at all. i bought a new starter because the day it didnt turn on i heard a clicking sound and that didnt do the trick but i believe it was needed regardless since it was original and my truck is almost at 200k i tried jumpstarting it that didnt work either. spark plugs/ spark plug cable/distributor cap and rotor all have under 3k miles on them. waterpump/timing belt/radiator/theromostat have under 30k. a week or so before this started happening my Fan Bracket bearing blew on me luckily the fan didnt damage my radiator i was about 30 miles from home without the powersteering belt/ac compressor belt and fan all not working since the bearing blew. i drove it home with the heater on and it didnt overheat or nothing it ran fine. a week after replacing the fan bracket was when the problem started. The truck ran fine like normal after it started if that helps.. this is all the info i have on this. i couldnt find the answer in the forum search. hopefully someone here knows the answer to my problem. this truck is my daily driver and i miss driving it. thanks for your time and help guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muns...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by artofliphkd; 10-17-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:11 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Sounds like you did not get the alternator drive belt tight. When you fixed the fan issue

So the battery was not charging like it should.

At any time did you test the voltage at the battery??
Old 10-18-2014, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Sounds like you did not get the alternator drive belt tight. When you fixed the fan issue

So the battery was not charging like it should.

At any time did you test the voltage at the battery??
The belts tight to spec. And i charged the battery with a battery charger. I even tried jump starting it.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:54 PM

Buddy of mine showed me how to use a long screw driver to localize noise. you basically put it up too your ear (handle), then touch it too places on the engine. so you can hear just the noise coming from that one spot. I use a strait handlebar from a mountain bike.
It can be real helpful if you know where the noise is coming from, a lot of the time it narrows it down too just one possible problem. I have never messed with a 3.0 so i dunno but kinda's sounds like the timing chain is rubbing. maybe a broken guide? Do 3.0's have those auto adjusting guides? I think if the guide fails in 22r's it can jump timing, because the chain isn't being held tight anymore. If it jumps timing it would either not run or run really odd/bad.

Last edited by Schnayke; 10-18-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Schnayke
Buddy of mine showed me how to use a long screw driver to localize noise. you basically put it up too your ear (handle), then touch it too places on the engine. so you can hear just the noise coming from that one spot. I use a strait handlebar from a mountain bike.
It can be real helpful if you know where the noise is coming from, a lot of the time it narrows it down too just one possible problem. I have never messed with a 3.0 so i dunno but kinda's sounds like the timing chain is rubbing. maybe a broken guide? Do 3.0's have those auto adjusting guides? I think if the guide fails in 22r's it can jump timing, because the chain isn't being held tight anymore. If it jumps timing it would either not run or run really odd/bad.
I will try the long screw driver technique. Sounds like the noise is coming from the passnger side cam sprocket. Maybe somethings going on in there so id have to look. It doesnt make too much sense to me though if the truck ran fine it was only having starting issues? I think it might be my ignitor or ignition coil. But then again the noise that im hearing sounds unusual so it may be the adjuster maybe the spring snapped or something.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:18 PM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
3.0 has a timing belt, not chain, so not likely chain noise.

With regards to your starting problem, it sounds to me like you might have a bad battery, or a bad cable/connection between battery and starter. Classic symptoms of a bad battery are failing to start one day, and the next day (or after it runs awhile) it seems fine, 2 days later no start, etc. Holds a charge one day but no the next, etc. If the battery is bad enough, jump starting typically doesn't work either, because you usually can't get enough current to the starter through jumper cables alone. There needs to be some help from the onboard battery.

But to find out for sure, next time it doesn't start check the voltage on the battery terminals with a multimeter. Check it before you turn the key, and then while a helper is holding the key in the start position. You should see a solid 12 volts when not cranking, and no lower than about 10.5 while trying to crank. If it drops much below that the battery is no good. If the battery is holding up, next measure at the starter while trying to crank. Some place in the path you're losing your cranking voltage. Once you figure out where the voltage is getting lost, you'll know what to fix.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:43 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by Schnayke
Buddy of mine showed me how to use a long screw driver to localize noise. ...
A screwdriver is good, but consider starting with the inside of a roll of paper towels. Not as good for localizing, but if you accidentally hit the end of the screwdriver against something moving, while the other end is stuck tight to your ear, well, that's gonna leave a mark.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
By the video it looks like the starter is, or was working just fine. I would investigate the timing belt for that buzzing sound and the fast and uneven cranking. You can check for spark by pulling a spark plug and wire, ground the spark plug on the intake and have somebody start the engine. Insulated pliers are a good idea, but as long as you aren't the easiest path to ground you shouldn't get zapped.

Also, if the starter does turn the engine over but it won't run you can do a compression test to find out if the cam timing (timing belt) is okay.

Otherwise, figure out why the starter isn't working by cleaning and tightening every electrical connection from the battery to the starter on both pos and neg sides. Verify that you have voltage to the battery post of the starter with your multimeter and the small wire (S terminal) gets voltage when the key is turned to start. All should be the same as your battery voltage.