Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3VZE 1990 Removed air intake manifold, now won't start! Amature? TOTALLY!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3VZE 1990 Removed air intake manifold, now won't start! Amature? TOTALLY!

Hey ya'll,

Got a little conundrum under my hood at present. I had an antifreeze leak, took the air intake manifold off, as well as the fuel lines on top of the block, fixed the leak (or I think I have..haven't gotten it started up to see if I was successful or not yet) and now that I've put it all back together, it won't start. I'm pretty sure that I've got all my vacume hoses in the right places....but even if I didn't, wouldn't it still start up, but run really rough? I'm confident that I had all my marks lined up on my timing belt pullies. I'm pretty sure I've still got compression (how exactly do you tell, though?) I don't have a diagnostics tester. Are they expensive? Can I rent one from the auto store? Any tips would be really appreciated!!!
Old 04-24-2006, 02:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
At this point, it could be almost anything. Don't really know all that you removed or adjusted.

Does it try to start, turnover ok? A bad vacuum leak could keep it from starting, even for a second. If the MAF is disconnected or open, then that would cause a start problem as well.

Do you have fuel? Spark?

The check engine light flashes to give you engine trouble codes. Their is no diagnostic equipment to rent.

Post some more info and I'd bet you'll get more feedback.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:36 AM

Looks as if I'm not getting gas to the cold start injector. Working backwards from there. Suppose I should start at the fuel pump though and work forward, right? I'm presuming I can check to see if the pump is working the same way I checked the cold start injector....by putting the ignition on "on" and using a jumper line in the diognostics plugs to activate the pump without having the truck actually running? Hope that makes sense.

Second question: once I get gas to the plugs and it tries to fire up, as long as I have my marks all lined up on my timing belt pullies, I should be in the clear, right? I've got both the marks lined up on the top two pullies and the main drive pully is lined up with the "0" on lower timing belt cover. I'm good to go, right? Thanks for your help! Much appreciated.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by leftredneck
Looks as if I'm not getting gas to the cold start injector. Working backwards from there. Suppose I should start at the fuel pump though and work forward, right? I'm presuming I can check to see if the pump is working the same way I checked the cold start injector....by putting the ignition on "on" and using a jumper line in the diognostics plugs to activate the pump without having the truck actually running? Hope that makes sense.

Second question: once I get gas to the plugs and it tries to fire up, as long as I have my marks all lined up on my timing belt pullies, I should be in the clear, right? I've got both the marks lined up on the top two pullies and the main drive pully is lined up with the "0" on lower timing belt cover. I'm good to go, right? Thanks for your help! Much appreciated.

Did u ever figure out you issue? I just replaced my heads and rebuilt my injectors. Got it back together and now it wont start. If i let it sit for a minute it will idle for half a second (and sounds good). I dont smell fuel at my exaust. I know its getting fuel pressure because the line to the csi was cracked and pissing fuel but i got that fixed. My timing marks are dead on. All spark plug wires are right. My efi fuse is good. The thing that im stuck on is that if i let it sit for a few,minutes it seems to want to start easier (idles for a half second)...im definatly leaning towards the fuel system as the issue. Could there be air in the fuel lines? Would a bad fuel injector ground cause this? Im stumped
Old 12-09-2013, 03:48 PM

Did you plug the connector back into the vafm?
Old 12-09-2013, 04:20 PM

The connector on the air box for the maf? Yes...and i double checked it. I plan on removing my upper intake to look at the fuel rail, is there a way i can send pressure through the lines to check for leaks...ive heard u can jump the pump at the diagnostic plug. What other teat can i do on the fuel system...i dont have a pressure tester.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:43 PM

Jumper Fp and B+.

Without a pressure tester, not much more you can do.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:59 PM

That's what I was thinking thanks. Is there a way for air to get trapped in the fuel system?
Old 12-09-2013, 05:08 PM

In a word, no.