Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3.0 ZERO CLEARANCE valve measurement & adjustment (yes, I have searched)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 10:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by j2the-e
Which tool are you having trouble with? The curved, scissor looking one that presses the valve open or the one that holds it open to remove the shim? I use a large curved hook tool to get in between the cam and the shim. Then pry it to open the valve just enough to get the sst holder in there.
Yeah, I have the scissor looking SST and it is too big to do what it needs to do without hitting the intake or brake booster; IE: I can't get the lifter down far enough to get the wedge/spacer/holder in. I tried one of the VW hook tools and it wasn't the right size either. Wondering if a pry bar or something of that nature is in order. Wish I had a picture of this issue... I'm re-shimming 3 of the exhaust valves and I'd hate to close it all up without getting to do this one as well, but I am gonna need the truck when the snow starts to fly.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:43 PM

You can use a curved needle nose, small pry bar, bent screwdriver, something smooth so it doesn't scratch the cam. Push it in between the cam and the puck and then put the holder in place
Old 11-22-2012, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have fun. I was having the same problem you are having. I ended up just pulling the engine. I was sick of my back hurting bending into the engine bay. Don't put it back together without adjusting that (#6)valve. Being its prob the worst one of them all. I first started pulling the hoses off the firewall in the rear and it helped a little. They give u no room to work. Good luck and try diff tools. Watever works, it doesn't have to b designed to do the job.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:22 AM

Thank you gentlemen. I just didn't want to mess up the cam/shim surface. But I think a little blemish on the cam (which may be hard enough that I don't mark it up anyway) is probably less significant than burning a valve.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bensyota
Have fun. I was having the same problem you are having. I ended up just pulling the engine. I was sick of my back hurting bending into the engine bay. Don't put it back together without adjusting that (#6)valve. Being its prob the worst one of them all. I first started pulling the hoses off the firewall in the rear and it helped a little. They give u no room to work. Good luck and try diff tools. Watever works, it doesn't have to b designed to do the job.

I ALWAYS remove the hood when doing anything under there other than an oil change. It opens up TONS of light, plus you can reach everything easier from all sides. 4 bolts & it's off.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:30 AM

Agreed. Removing the hood was the first thing I did.

Well, last night proved that the SST is totally unneeded. Yes, it is the right way to do it, but a flat screwdriver between the cam and shim was all that was needed to get the bucket-holder in place and the shim out. That steel is so hard that there isn't a scratch visible anywhere. Stealership actually has the correct 6E shim I need in stock, so I may actually get her buttoned up tonight (knock on wood)!