84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

steering wheel removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 07:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
steering wheel removal

I've looked for 3 days on here and am having trouble finding info/post/threads on steering wheel removal and headlight combination switch removal.
Will some one show me some links on this please?
Thanks,
slowboy

1985 Toyota 4x4 DLX P/U
Old 12-30-2021, 08:40 AM

Received 606 Likes on 428 Posts
This should help, he removed the wheel in the video :

Old 12-30-2021, 11:25 AM

Thank you so much!!
That's exactly what I needed...Great video!!
I've read online, maybe on YotaTech where sometimes if the low beams don't work try filing contacts on combination
switch...you wouldn't know how to get to the lowbeam contacts would you?
That's what started all of this. The low beam headlights work sometimes, and sometimes they don't.
When they don't come on the highbeam indicator comes on, on the dash. When lowbeams work the indicator isn't on.
The highbeams work fine. The relay under the hood is good. I bought a new one just to be sure that wasn't the problem.
Thanks again,
Keith [slowboy]
Old 12-30-2021, 11:57 AM

Received 637 Likes on 513 Posts
As I recall, it's just a matter of removing the top and bottom covers of the steering column. Switch contacts are right out in the open.

Don't use a big rasp type file. If possible, just use some very fine sandpaper, Ruby Cloth, like that. The less "contact" materiel you remove, the better. Yeah, get rid of the non-conductive crud on the contacts, but that's the most. For very slightly corroded contacts, a pencil eraser will do the trick.
Also, some of them get slightly bent out of shape, and just need to be bent slightly back into the proper position to make contact when they should.
Finally, a little dab of silicone dielectric grease can have a very beneficial effect on contacts, and plug pins.

Good luck to you!
Pat☺
Old 12-30-2021, 12:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I would try cleaning the contacts (WD40 and/or Electrical parts cleaner) with a thin cloth before filing. Filing would remove material and you may lose the connection completely.

Originally Posted by slowboy
Thank you so much!!
That's exactly what I needed...Great video!!
I've read online, maybe on YotaTech where sometimes if the low beams don't work try filing contacts on combination
switch...you wouldn't know how to get to the lowbeam contacts would you?
That's what started all of this. The low beam headlights work sometimes, and sometimes they don't.
When they don't come on the highbeam indicator comes on, on the dash. When lowbeams work the indicator isn't on.
The highbeams work fine. The relay under the hood is good. I bought a new one just to be sure that wasn't the problem.
Thanks again,
Keith [slowboy]
Old 12-30-2021, 12:54 PM

Thank you very much for reply!
Old 12-30-2021, 01:00 PM

I did spray electrical parts cleaner where I could reach and after a few minutes I sprayed out best I could with an air hose.
I've been driving truck with lowbeams on today to see how it did and so far lowbeams come on and stay on until I turn them off.
How long it'll last is yet to be seen.
I haven't put steering column covers back on incase I need to remove combination switch.
Probably should still clean contacts for combination though.
Thanks,
Keith [slowboy]
Old 12-31-2021, 05:30 PM

Them contacts may last longer if you get the H4 Headlamp Relay Wiring Harness. I did it while back, it's fairly simple to do.
Old 01-01-2022, 05:10 AM

H4 Headlamp Relay Wiring Harness

Originally Posted by Damion812
Them contacts may last longer if you get the H4 Headlamp Relay Wiring Harness. I did it while back, it's fairly simple to do.
I looked and didn't see harness for 1985 p/u...just newer. What harness did you use? Is it ok to use newer model harness on my '85?

Headlights H4 Wiring Harness Headlight Relay Kit For Toyota 95-97 Tacoma 88-95 Pickup Fix Dual Ground Problem

Old 01-01-2022, 06:02 AM

I could very wrong but I think it's the same thing.

This is where I got the information:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f131...w-pics-235789/
Old 01-04-2022, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by 2ToyGuy
As I recall, it's just a matter of removing the top and bottom covers of the steering column. Switch contacts are right out in the open.

Don't use a big rasp type file. If possible, just use some very fine sandpaper, Ruby Cloth, like that. The less "contact" materiel you remove, the better. Yeah, get rid of the non-conductive crud on the contacts, but that's the most. For very slightly corroded contacts, a pencil eraser will do the trick.
Also, some of them get slightly bent out of shape, and just need to be bent slightly back into the proper position to make contact when they should.
Finally, a little dab of silicone dielectric grease can have a very beneficial effect on contacts, and plug pins.

Good luck to you!
Pat☺
I really don't see the contacts for the low beam...can you point them out in this picture?

let me know if picture shows...still not sure if I'm posting pictures right.

Thanks,
Keith [slowboy]
Old 01-05-2022, 11:26 AM

Received 637 Likes on 513 Posts

There's a picture of the switch that controls the head lights. High beam, low beam, and flash.
Essentially, you can look at the switch contacts, and if it's not high beam or flash, it's low beam. It's a pretty simple switch. Be careful not to loose the little ball bearing at the base of the shaft of the handle where it comes into the switch. You can clean the contacts as I described. Be sure NOT to bend the contact's metal strips, that hold the contacts. Also, make sure those same strips aren't bent by repeated use.

Does that help?
Pat☺
Old 01-05-2022, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by 2ToyGuy

There's a picture of the switch that controls the head lights. High beam, low beam, and flash.
Essentially, you can look at the switch contacts, and if it's not high beam or flash, it's low beam. It's a pretty simple switch. Be careful not to loose the little ball bearing at the base of the shaft of the handle where it comes into the switch. You can clean the contacts as I described. Be sure NOT to bend the contact's metal strips, that hold the contacts. Also, make sure those same strips aren't bent by repeated use.

Does that help?
Pat☺
Thanks for picture...it helps.
Old 01-10-2022, 10:34 AM

I put new combination switch on and everything works except for the high speed setting on windshield wipers. It's like low speed whether on high or low.
Any suggestions please?
Thanks,
Keith [slowboy]