84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

I want to Bolt a Safari Rack to my 4runner Shell.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to Bolt a Safari Rack to my 4runner Shell.

Hi Yotatech family,
I want to bolt a Safari/Rack to my 4runner shell. I want maximum space up there and the nice thing is my shell is about a ~1inch taller than my cab so I could even have a extra ~1foot of overhang.

I really need max space as I planning an expedition in december.
My questions:

What is the best dimensions to utililize the full length of the shell? I was thinking 5x3.5 or maybe even 5.5x4... was even thinking of a 6-6.5 ft w/ a bit of overhang just over the cab. I want a durable one, used preferably,
what do ya'll recommend?

One of the reasons i went after a 4runner shell is because of their strength, I even stood on top of the shell (I weigh 190) & it had very little flex & weight was concentrated. Heres a picture of the overhang I'm talking about/
Attached Thumbnails I want to Bolt a Safari Rack to my 4runner Shell.-blackshell.jpg  

Last edited by duel; 09-29-2008 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

So just to clarify, you're wanting opinions on which dimensions would best utilize the space the shell offers?

If that's the case - I would have it cover the shell minus about 2-3" on each side (for aesthetics).
This will of course be dependant on the availability of such a rack.

Then, for the overhang - if you're planning on putting a lot of weight on the front part of the rack then I would limit the overhang to about 4-5 inches for stability.

If you're not going to have a whole lot of weight up there then you could extend it out as far as you wanted and just put light things up front and heavy in the rear (which is the best way to do it anyway).

Did that make any sense?

Fink
Old 09-29-2008, 06:19 PM

Those are great tips Fink! I know that the 4runner shell can take (safely, since i don't have a rollbar) ~300-400 lbs...Believe me these things are built way tougher than and fleer, 5-pac & other aftermarket shells.

...But I can estimate that that weight should be no more than ~200-260 lbs.
I want (for safety) fuel up there, some water & axe & shovel...What will mostly go up there too is bulky gear like tent, sleeping bags, army duffel bags and other light but fluffy stuff. I would say my rack would def. be full w/ gear but only weigh about 220lbs.

Btw- since your an expert, what would be your fav. brand of axe? Thanks a lot partner.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:59 PM

I'm planning on installing a Wilderness roofrack from Garvin. See photo below. The mounting rails are adjustable side to side and I was planning on bolting them about an inch inside the top of the rear window. Of course you will need to drop the shell headliner, bolt through and then reinstall headliner. I thought the 44"x60"x6" would be the correct size:

http://www.4by4connection.com/truccaproofr1.html

If you do something like this, please post back and let us know how it went (and take lots of photos please).
Attached Thumbnails I want to Bolt a Safari Rack to my 4runner Shell.-trackracks-small.jpg  
Old 09-30-2008, 01:24 PM

Thanks wardamneagle!
I like those dimensions...& i like the look of that rack. but i'm looking for something real "camel trophy" like...kind of professional homebrew like this...check out there site!

There prices are super!
http://www.blackoutaz.com/racks.htm
Old 09-30-2008, 01:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
i have a Yakima LoadWarrior on my 88 4Runner. I put an extension in the middle of it and it looks pretty good. I', not too sure what the length dimension is, but it looks good width wise.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:23 PM

That is a great looking 4runner! ...drool
I really like your safari rack! perfect length, width is very nice although i wonder what the width in inches is?

That first shot of the rear is why I choose the shell, (i'm talking about the hood that surronds it) not only does it give it superior structural strength but it looks really tough from the back.
I love 4runner shells! they look so nice!
Old 09-30-2008, 07:24 PM

I'm guessing its 60X38X5

How close am i?
Old 09-30-2008, 07:31 PM

http://www.racknroad.com/yakima-load...-7070-yak.html

Scroll down to features and you'll see the dimensions. I bought mine (basket, extension, and fairing) off ebay for cheap
Old 09-30-2008, 08:32 PM

wow i was close! 62X39X6.5

That is really a perfect size, how much do you think it weighs?
Is that rack safe to put up to ~200-250?
How do you like the build quality?
And lastly, is your rear bar on top bent or is it supposed to be like that?

Boy, that Georgia Red Clay looks nice against the black color!

Last edited by duel; 09-30-2008 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:09 PM

the rack is very light, i can hold it above my head easily and i am by no means massively built.

Build quality is great. No problems there.

Here-s some more clay for ya
Old 09-30-2008, 09:21 PM

perfect! i really believe this is the rack i'm going to get. Its very proportional to the truck, it has that nice wind fairing, its light, yet very strong, and what i really like about it is the 6.5 inch height! but the shape of the rack is very decieving...only appears about 4.5-5 max

I could store a lot up on one of those & it nearly utilizes ALL available space on top of a 4runner roof!

btw-i like your tjm bumper, blends in nice!
Old 09-30-2008, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by duel
Boy, that Georgia Red Clay looks nice against the black color!
When I first seen his pictures I was thinking he has to be from Georgia, I can reconize that red clay anywhere
Old 09-30-2008, 09:31 PM

duel, all those points are the exact reasons i got this particular one too. i dont have that TJM anymore because it was pretty bent-up from an accident and i was tired of it. i now have that boat anchor bumper in the pic that my 4runner is clean.

georgiayota, haha i hear ya man. this stuff sucks!!! i wish it wasnt so sticky and destructive.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:38 PM

oh yeah, that stuff will stick to your damn boots like a hound dog hot on the trail of a coon...ha
Old 09-30-2008, 09:42 PM

are you from Georgia Duel?
Old 09-30-2008, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by duel
Thanks wardamneagle!
I like those dimensions...& i like the look of that rack. but i'm looking for something real "camel trophy" like...kind of professional homebrew like this...check out there site!

There prices are super!
http://www.blackoutaz.com/racks.htm
Thanks for the link. Now I'm rethinking the Wilderness. Their racks look really nice and it looks like custom dimensions would not be a problem. I would probably still go with something between 42" and 44" wide and between 60" and 66" long by 6" high. I read a bit about their "feet" option and they say that they will install 4 feet for around $100. I would probably try to get them to install 2 feet which run the entire length front to back. I need to measure between the tops of the two rear windows but they would probably need to be something like 40" apart, outside to outside.

I just took another look at their rack. Actually you wouldn't have to have feet if you didn't want them. They have either 2 or 3 main runners (I suppose depending on width) going front to rear. Assuming you had one built with two, you could actually just bolt through those runners directly to the top. It might look a bit more "Camel Trophy Series" though if you had it raised up a couple of inches with some "feet".

Let us know what you go with.

Last edited by Wardamneagle; 09-30-2008 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by 881stGenRunner
http://www.racknroad.com/yakima-load...-7070-yak.html

Scroll down to features and you'll see the dimensions. I bought mine (basket, extension, and fairing) off ebay for cheap
That rack looks very good as well. Can you give us some detail on how you mounted it to your 4Runner shell? Thanks!
Old 10-01-2008, 03:36 PM

I have the load warrior on mine as well, adn while it's a great rack, It's not really as burly as the typical overland racks you see on alot of foriegn Tototas. That said, it's plenty strong for hauling camping gear and anything else that'll fit up there, just don't try to throw 4 jerry cans up there I'm just in teh process of hard mounting it to the "shell" of my 1st Gen 4Runner. I'm going to buy yhe extention for it (makes it longer but the same width) and them I'll be drilling and bolting it to the roof. It's really easy to do because the mounting hardware that's providied to mount it on load bars esentialy makes for a really good bolt through clamp of sorts. instead of bolting on and grabing the load bars you grab the roof and the lower mounting hardware/"jaw" get's bolted to from the inside of the shell. Milage takes a hit, but man it's nice to throw all my wet rafting gear or the barbecue and cots/chairs up there and save all that room inside an already kind of small rig. PLus I don't trust the "gutters" that my 1st Gen has for carring much weight. Mounting it back and as low as possible should aleviate some of the drag that's causing the lower MPG, but then I'm driving a brick on wheels with a 4cyl so I'm not looking for any miracles eh

Cheers

Dave
Old 10-01-2008, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Wardamneagle
That rack looks very good as well. Can you give us some detail on how you mounted it to your 4Runner shell? Thanks!
Man the truck in your avvy (I'm assuming that's your 85 runner eh?) looks GREAT!!! Do you have a huild thread here on teh boards? Mine's in teh 1st gen runner section under Project 4Rescue.

Cheers

DAve

Quick Reply: I want to Bolt a Safari Rack to my 4runner Shell.