Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Gonna buy a 81 4X4 with a bad tranny

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 04:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gonna buy a 81 4X4 with a bad tranny (OK I Bought it)

The p/u is a late build 81. It has round headlights and a 5 speed. Reverse is out of it. Would someone tell me what transmissions will work in this model year. Or what would be the most desirable swap to use it for a little highway and town use. without too much fabrication. My brother is a fulltime chrysler tech and may be able to rebuild it also. What would be better? a rebuild or an upgrade?

also it has a factry sunroof and the glass is missing. Is this going to be an easy fix. I haven't seen the truck up close yet. It's a little far away from where I live now. My brother is looking at it for me.

If anyone has any other advice regarding a prebuy inspection it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Kirmet; 07-01-2006 at 05:05 AM. Reason: change title
Old 06-20-2006, 06:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'81 5 speed is an L50, they came in '81-82 trucks. the best easy swap is an L52 out of a late '82 or '83 truck, it's a tad stronger. better yet, marlin's L52-HD, 30% stronger than stock.

you could also put a W56 out of a later truck in, but you'd have to have your drivelines resized and move your crossmember.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:04 PM

Prebuy inspection would be rust. Check the frame most of all and the bed for rust. The older trucks tend to rust around the bed seams from my experience. Aftermarket fenders,lights,etc are available. If your bro is a tech I would have him check the birfeilds for leaks up front and the compression also. Smoke from the exhaust? Junk yard is a good parts source. good luck!
Old 06-21-2006, 03:26 PM

not sure yet

I haven't decided if I want to make the commitment. the problem is I have to drive it from montana to WV my bro said he would drive it. That would bring the total cost of ownership after I buy a tranny from marlin to almost 2000.00 I'm not sure if this is a 2000 dollar truck. My bro said he would drive it out for me with the bad tranny (reverse is out) and try and find a JY unit to swap for it. I'm not sure I want to gamble on him having to abandon it.

If I decide to pass on the deal I am still looking for a relatively nice xtra cab rig for under 5000.00 and would give anyone who may be interested in an 81 4x4 the contact info (it really is a pretty decent 25yr old rig)

thanks for all the advice.

cheers
Old 06-21-2006, 07:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kirmetjs@yahoo.com
I haven't decided if I want to make the commitment. the problem is I have to drive it from montana to WV my bro said he would drive it. That would bring the total cost of ownership after I buy a tranny from marlin to almost 2000.00 I'm not sure if this is a 2000 dollar truck. My bro said he would drive it out for me with the bad tranny (reverse is out) and try and find a JY unit to swap for it. I'm not sure I want to gamble on him having to abandon it.

If I decide to pass on the deal I am still looking for a relatively nice xtra cab rig for under 5000.00 and would give anyone who may be interested in an 81 4x4 the contact info (it really is a pretty decent 25yr old rig)

thanks for all the advice.

cheers
Hey, where are you in Montana?
Old 06-22-2006, 10:20 AM

I'm a highliner

Not in MT i'm in WV, I've lived all over MT; bigsky, helena, eureka, whitefish, missoula. but I grew up on the highline. I'll tell ya what town after the weekend when I decide I really want to put a heap of dough and time into a project truck.

Still leaning to finding a rust free xtra cab under $5000.00 that was someones DD. That way I can drive it for a year then restore it when I'm done with school. If I buy the '81 I'll have to fix the tranny replace the windshield, sunroof, clean up the interior and possibly try and figure out an AC swap cuz it's friggin hot and muggy out here. Without the AC I still think I could easily have 2000 into it and haven't even touched the engine with ????? miles. So I'm just hemming and hawing about buying what I really want and need for utilitarian purposes or if I want a project that could someday be a real cool rig. I really like the round light body style for some reason the truck looks good with the oxidized paint and ratty condition.

cheers
Old 06-22-2006, 12:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The real problem with the early tranny is that the bearings are undersized and they tend to wear out even under normal use. Main shaft starts jumping and eventually you'll chip teeth. Marlin's tranny has upgraded bearings. The HD version has upgraded gears. I wouldn't spend a dime on any other type of rebuild.
Old 07-01-2006, 04:24 AM

Heres my new truck, Needs some work but it is a pretty good start, I need to address a couple things right away like the sunroof, (anyone have one of these or know the best way to get it replaced?) The transmission is bad it drives but makes alot of noise and there is no reverse. if any of you MT guys have a line on a five speed L52 in montana lemme know I can't afford a marlin rebuilt. I may buy his rebuild kit and have my Brother rebuild the one I have (He's a Chrysler mechanic and should be capable) So I need to track down a service manual for this truck or if anyone has the transmission rebuild documents I'd need that would be cool. So first thing is to clean this thing up change all the fluids, recharge the AC, plugs wires cap and rotor and find some of those big round KC lights with the yellow smileyface covers for the rollbar.
Attached Thumbnails Gonna buy a 81 4X4 with a bad tranny-rtside.jpg   Gonna buy a 81 4X4 with a bad tranny-sunroof.jpg   Gonna buy a 81 4X4 with a bad tranny-tail.jpg