Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

First-gen dashboard removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 03:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First-gen dashboard removal

Kind of an odd question, but does anybody have any insight into remving a first-gen pickup's dashboard structure?
To clarify, it's not the plastic dash panel with the heater controls, and not the dash pad, but the actual metal structure beneath everything that's built into the firewall.
I see a row of machine screws along the windshield line, and I wouldn't doubt there's another few underneath, but are there any spot welds or hidden screws to contend with?
Old 10-09-2012, 04:07 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Send trekkerpaul a message. He has pulled them multiple times
Old 10-09-2012, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by dropzone
Send trekkerpaul a message. He has pulled them multiple times
Bully idea!
Thank you, sir!
Old 10-09-2012, 04:56 AM

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Along with screws around the windshield, there is one at each lower end going into brackets into side panels. There is also two above the steering column mount to the upper firewall. This is on my 81, hope this helps. Ive got mine torn down, could take pics if you like

Last edited by Lons81; 10-09-2012 at 05:01 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Lons81
Along with screws around the windshield, there is one at each lower end going into brackets into side panels. There is also two above the steering column mount to the upper firewall. This is on my 81, hope this helps. Ive got mine torn down, could take pics if you like
Everything helps, believe me!
This is territory that isn't regularly traveled, so I've come to the conclusion I'll fill this thread with all the information I get, and take some step-by-step photos of what I end up doing. That way we'll have a reference.

My goal for this is threefold:
1. My truck's PO cut into the dashboard pretty bad for a radio, and I'd like to replace it.
2. I'd like to clean up my HVAC system - it's bogged down with dust from 30 years of life. Plus I think a squirrel nested in the ducting somewhere, and its acorn stash rattles when the blower's on.
3. I'm planning on doing some major soundproofing.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:24 AM

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Understand, as most 1gen have been molested by POs. I'm the second owner of mine so I know it's history. When I torn into mine after setting for 6 years, found all kinds of wiring damage and critter nests. During my rehab I also plan to add sound damping and insulation to the cab interior while it is stripped down to zilch

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress
Old 10-09-2012, 06:08 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
A write up would be cool..
Old 10-09-2012, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by dropzone
A write up would be cool..
Agreed.
It shall be done.
Later on in the week; I've just ordered some pieces from Summit that I'd like to test-fit before I tear the whole assembly out.
Until then, I'll just keep gathering intel and plotting The Great Dashboard Revolution!
Vive la Rivoluzione!
Old 10-09-2012, 08:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
when taking my dash out to paint it the hardest part was the HVAC controls and getting to those bolts agianst the windshield!! but it is pretty simple unless one of the nuts for the steering column comes loose that was a head ache!!!
Old 10-10-2012, 09:55 AM

Got a PM from Trekkerpaul:
Originally Posted by trekkerpaul
It is fairly straight forward for the most part, just take your time. Remove all of the dash bezels, glove box odometer cluster, steering column cover etc. Make sure to disconnect all the switches that are attached to the metal dash before doing the final unbolting. You will need to unbolt the steering column, fuse box, emergency brake, lower gauge pod if you have it. There are two bolts, one each side, that are attached to small brackets on the lower corners and 4 bolts directly behind the windshield. The upper windshield bolts are easily removed with a couple extensions and a universal joint. If I remember correctly one of the lower bolts has a ground attached to it. Make sure to reattach when reinstalling the piece. Hopefully this is what you were looking for.
Sounds pretty straightforward.

I'll post up pictures of the process as it takes place. I've found another first gen in my area that's parting out, and I'm hoping their dash is unmolested so I'll have a donor.

I'm also learning the basics of fiber glass so I can resto-mod my dash pad and build myself some odds and ends for this project. Those will be getting their own thread once everything gets rolling.

Thanks for the help everybody!
Old 10-10-2012, 11:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
fiberglassing the dash pad is great that is what I done and I put a texture on it before final paint and it looks great. Check it out on my profile...
Old 10-10-2012, 12:54 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Good time to move console switches

While you have dash apart, it's a good time to re-route console switches there, to make room for future cup-holder

On mine I plan to move rear windshield wiper switch to dash forward of of front wiper control, rear window controls to available spots above radio.

To expose console wires, it's a simple job of peeling harness all the way back to connector in driver's side kick panel.

OOPS, I thought post was for first gen 4Runner. any, might still apply.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 10-10-2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: OOPS!
Old 10-10-2012, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
While you have dash apart, it's a good time to re-route console switches there, to make room for future cup-holder

On mine I plan to move rear windshield wiper switch to dash forward of of front wiper control, rear window controls to available spots above radio.

To expose console wires, it's a simple job of peeling harness all the way back to connector in driver's side kick panel.

OOPS, I thought post was for first gen 4Runner. any, might still apply.
It's all good, there are four different "first-gens" in Toyotaland anyway.
Maybe I should just go to the old Cruiser habit of referring to engine/frame/model code. Playing with an RN38, then.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by dirtdobberoffroad
fiberglassing the dash pad is great that is what I done and I put a texture on it before final paint and it looks great. Check it out on my profile...
Will do!
Thanks for the tip!
Old 10-11-2012, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by dirtdobberoffroad
I can't find it. I like the blocking plates you made for when removing the EGR and whatever all that stuff is, though.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:36 PM

bump. Wheres those step by step picks? LOL

Last edited by d-wood; 11-10-2012 at 06:36 PM. Reason: spell corrections
Old 11-11-2012, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by d-wood
bump. Wheres those step by step picks? LOL
Sorry, I'm trying to get my ducks in a row for my interior overhaul, but every time I do, the PRK finds a way to steal my money and use it to line some corrupt bureaucrat's pocket.

It's happening, but slowly.