Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

DEATH wobble

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 09:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hmm...i wonder how much it would cost to do all four...and i know how hard it is to do front bearings..or well...close to how hard it is..thanks guys..i'll continue to look over the truck until i have to go to work..
Old 06-10-2008, 09:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Rear bearing replacement:
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...wheel_bearing/

And front:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...eRebuild.shtml

You can get front axle rebuild kits from most of the major Toyota offroad vendors (Marlin, AllPro,TrailGear, etc.), includes wheel and knuckle bearings.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, about your truck,

Its old/tired, mine is too and its going to have problems. For God's sake, what car won't? shoot, mine caught on fire the day i bought it, and has had minor problems since, so i feel your pain. New or used they all will have problems eventually. Yes i just graduated too, im only 17 and only working 32 hours a week at minuim wage, so it sounds like we are in the same boat and it seems my whole check goes to my truck everytime, now this is a pain but look at it as preventative maintance. After a while everything is going to be new!

Also all the work you have to do on it is beneficial, YOU KNOW YOUR TRUCK! Alot of my friends know nothing about theirs and wrenching on it occasionally will quickly prevent that. I think having my truck problems are a great learning experience.

I don't understand not replacing the seals on the trannie, but oh well do it next time.

Don't let people get on your nerves about your truck, its not theirs.

I call mine a pos all the time, but look at it, 248,000 miles and all original. Still running so what can i say? Overall its a great truck that i couldn't be happier with(yes i could thats a lie, arb's, bumpers, etc...).

Old 06-10-2008, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
Rear bearing replacement:
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...wheel_bearing/

And front:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...eRebuild.shtml

You can get front axle rebuild kits from most of the major Toyota offroad vendors (Marlin, AllPro,TrailGear, etc.), includes wheel and knuckle bearings.
The top link is the one i used
Old 06-10-2008, 04:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its hard to diagnose a problem like that, It really could be anything. I highly doubt wheel bearings would cause that bad of a wobble so sudden. Id guess the steering arms/drag link or tie rod have some play or something let go.

I put stock size all season tires on my truck for a day and man, its not nice hearing things that I couldnt hear before with the agressive tires.. I ended up fixing ALOT of things.

I really suggest that if you want this truck to last, stop taking it through mud, trails are one thing.. mud bogging is another.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:59 PM

i dont know if someone asked you this before but check your steering stabilizer. I had a work truck one time (a 3500 cummins thing) that alkmost through mre and my buddy off the highway because of a sudden death shake. We took it in and had the steering stabilizer replaced and the shake went away for good.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:03 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by refried
relax dude, don't get upset, I guess I just struck a nerve, ,I'm pretty good at finding them (and then digging deeper). You never know what will piss someone off. If you didn't keep posting what a pos your truck is I might think it's not just a parts truck.
I smell a drama llama..

Your calling him a redneck but you cut a hole in your hood for your 'tarded aircleaner on your mullet motor swapped turd of a truck? Seriously, your starting off on the wrong foot on this site, most of your posts are nothing but sarcasm and PMSing, I think you need to check your 'tude bud.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh no the internet police are after me, I'm scared. The last thing I wanted to do is piss off mr.trustyrusty, He's one bad mo fo.

Oh wait, he's only 16.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:19 AM

ok so i figured it out...and i dont know how in the hell it happened..i lost 2 driveshaft bolts...the ones that bolt the driveshaft to the t-case...and my driveshaft was just bouncing around...so i got new bolts put em in...drives fine now..but on the way home last night..i think one of them flew off again...so why arent they staying on there..i tightened the piss out of em..wel..enough to where they wouldnt break...any body got some ideas..i havent had time to check it today..but im going to..thanks for the quick input though guys
Old 06-11-2008, 07:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Assume this is the rear drive shaft? Could be there is an alignment or balance issue causing it to vibrate a little and that is shaking the bolts loose:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...l#Measurements

Also, on the earlier trucks, you only have 8mm bolts in the shaft, the later trucks use 10mm. One option would be to drill out the holes and use the larger factory bolts, they are a special fine thread bolt and hold very well. They get torqued to something in the 40-50 ft-lb range.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:51 AM

locktight?

Personally id look into the things 4crawler said
Old 06-11-2008, 08:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 904_runner
locktight?

Personally id look into the things 4crawler said

Yes, you need to use locktite...a shaft spinning off at 70 MPH is NOT pretty....

also make sure that you are using the correct TOYOTA bolts...not just some bolts you found in the garage..the toyota ones are the correct grade and shape...nothing else will work right. and please be safe...I know you dont care how safe your truck is but me and my family do..thanks
Old 06-11-2008, 02:30 PM

idk about 70mph..but i know what will happen if the front driveshaft sheers in half at 60mph..busted t-case..busted floorboard..busted tranny..effed up fuel lines...effed up wires..trust me it happend to me about..jan 1st...or jan 2nd..maybe late december..check out the thread called Screwed and Tattooed..i am using toyota bolts...but i will take them off...put locktite on...and put them back on this weekend...and i do care how safe my truck is...but its all i have...so i have to drive it..but i dont let anybody ride with me unless they ABSOLUTELY have to...and usually its nothing but town driving...i wish my truck was safe..but i doubt it will ever be safe..lol..or well..not as safe as the '02 3/4 ton dodge diesel 4x4 we had..that thing was a best of truck