Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

76 chinook working in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
76 chinook working in the rain

Well I've been waiting all week for the rain to stop, but old mother nature "aint givin' an inch". I just couldn't take anymore, so I climbed in the back and went to work. Sorry about the lack pics today, I just didn't have time to take any. In the morning I'll take some and make an album tomorrow. Right now I actually have two projects going. First I'm doing a major remodel on a 96 Aljo 37' travel trailer, which is also my house. Second I'm doing a major rebuild on my 76 chinook, which is also my truck (the only thing I drive). So I can't do anything that keeps my truck off the road for more than a day without planning my week around it, and if I want to keep my wife I have to keep the house comfortable and neat during the remodel. Anyway I took the furnace, power converter, sink and all water and propane systems out (I had already removed the fridge about a month ago). I'm going to redo all the appliances then put them up for sale. I also took out the L shaped bench seat, It however I installed in the tip out of my trailer. The cabinetry, carpet and paneling, all got put out in my burn pile where they will sit until the rain stops and it dries enough to burn (tarping the pile only helps so much). I also took out the water and electric inlets as well as the drain. All of which are cut into the fiberglass on the driver side, I'm also going to take out all the vents and the propane door. I have to take out the rest of the paneling (around the windows) and redo the wood flooring. But before that I need to find the cause of all the water damage in the flooring and remove the 5' long piece of angle iron that the saftey belts attach to. Enough of my ramblings.
Later
Old 03-30-2012, 10:05 PM
Contributing Member

The water might be wicking in from the back door... check the seal on the bottom... also check for rot from underneath... also might be coming in a bottom of cab/camper grommit... this assumes you have ruled out leaky plumbing as a source...

hmmm might also have been condensation from fridge... some older house fridges had a drain hose that went to a pan below the compressor where the water would evaporate... mobile fridges the hose just went overboard thru a hole in the floor... if the hose came out of that it might have been just lying on the floor making puddles...
Old 03-30-2012, 11:39 PM

Thanks for the input, It is indeed leaking at the back door but it is also leaking at the back of the cab. So next is to seal that up, looks like it has been gone over a couple of times. I'll have to get all the old crap out and start fresh.