Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

22r to 22re swap in my 83

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22r to 22re swap in my 83

swapping out my stock motor in my 83 pu 4x4 for a 92 22re non-4x4
i have read several threads about this kind of swap and am a little confused and need a couple questions answered. some of the threads contradict one another and have been reading for about a week now and feel as though im more backwards than learn-ed
most of what ive found is not 1st gen related so i figured i would ask here with many well versed 1st gen owners

1.) i know i need the ecu and harness, but i have also read that i need an ecm. is this true? are there two computer units?
2.) is there a way around needing a new fuel tank?
3.) how crucial is a new radiator?
4.) do i need to replace the coil and igniter?
5.) does it matter that the donor pu was not 4x4?

basically, i guess i am just looking for advice from those that have done this.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You will need a harness, an ECU and the ECM if you are doing a build to pass emissions. You will need an Oxygen Sensor, cat converter, etc. In other words take everything off of the donor vehicle that is related to emissions, fuel injection control, exhaust, etc.

You do not have to get a new fuel tank. Purchase an electric inline fuel pump that delivers the pressure and volume that the fuel injection system requires. Use a return type fuel pressure regulator and make sure the return line to the fuel tank is large enough so you won't cause a restriction in the return line thus effecting fuel pressure control.

You should not need a new radiator if your existing unit works fine. Might be good idea to have it cleaned and pressure checked. Install a thermostat that is rated for the fuel injection motor.

You should install the coil and igniter from the donor car so all of the harness plugs match.

It does not matter that the donor car is not a 4x4 except for the engine oil pan and oil pickup. Since both engines are 22R family units you should be able to swap the pans and oil pickups. The transmission,bell housung braces, motor mounts,etc on your 4x4 should bolt up to the new motor.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:48 PM

goodness!! thank you for such a fast reply.
sadly though i only got the motor. coil and igniter i did not get. do i need to look for them from the same year i find a harness from? i do not need to pass emissions

"Purchase an electric inline fuel pump"... hmmm
where might one buy one of those?
Old 05-15-2011, 06:28 PM

You can purchase an inline pump from Summit, Jegs, LC Engineering and others. Make sure you know the specifics about what the Toyota FI system requires.

You should get a factory service manual for the donor car engine and fuel injection, the electrical wiring diagrams in the factory service manuals are essential for performing an easy swap.

Buy the same model / year coil and igniter the donor car has, they are probably available from a Toyota dealer.

Try and look at your project as a Toyota factory install. Do it right and you will not have problems later. Do not assume anything, check it out before you spend the money and Do Not take shotcuts or be in too much of a hurry.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:59 PM

Received 274 Likes on 185 Posts
fairly easy swap ..

only 1 computer .. and about 9 wires (if you want a check engine light) and 2 relays ..

Old 05-16-2011, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by suncomb1
You can purchase an inline pump from Summit, Jegs, LC Engineering and others. Make sure you know the specifics about what the Toyota FI system requires.

You should get a factory service manual for the donor car engine and fuel injection, the electrical wiring diagrams in the factory service manuals are essential for performing an easy swap.

Buy the same model / year coil and igniter the donor car has, they are probably available from a Toyota dealer.

Try and look at your project as a Toyota factory install. Do it right and you will not have problems later. Do not assume anything, check it out before you spend the money and Do Not take shotcuts or be in too much of a hurry.
excellent advice!! thank you!

another question... can i use an ecu from a 2wd even though itll be going into a 4wd?
Old 05-16-2011, 02:59 PM

That is why I said to get a factory service manual for the donor truck. The service manual will show you if there are any differences between 2wd or 4wd unit sensors,ECUs, connections, etc.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by suncomb1
That is why I said to get a factory service manual for the donor truck. The service manual will show you if there are any differences between 2wd or 4wd unit sensors,ECUs, connections, etc.

youre awesome. mucho thanks
Old 05-17-2011, 08:41 PM

Its a tight fit at the upper rad hose,air intake pipin,a/c hose......lots of fun...I moved the p/s resovor over to the next bolt hole and had too totally remove the coolant storage tank and washer fluid tank to make room for the oe air filter box.... very fun afternoon that was..got pics and wiring if you need it pm me

good luck..RE is very worth it!!!...I have a 4.7to1 t-case and it was no fun to crawl up a rock face and have the weber barf..and the over the mountain trips